• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iced Gingerbread Cookies (Soft)

this is from Taste of Home, but found on Pinterest

Cookies
    1 1/2 cups of butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar ( we used light and they looked like their picture)
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup molasses
    2 tsp. vanilla
    4 1/3 cups all purpose flour
    1 Tblsp ground ginger
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp ground cloves

Icing
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup milk
    2 Tblsp. Butter
    1 Tblsp. Molasses
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    2-3 cups powdered sugar, depending on the consistency you want for glaze or frosting.
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    Instructions
    1. Heat oven to 325*F. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside .
    2. In a large bowl, with the paddle attachment on, cream butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a spatula scrape the sides if needed. Stir in molasses and vanilla, mix well.
    3. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. Gradually add to creamed mixture.
    4. With a medium sized scoop, drop cookie dough balls on the prepared sheets. With your fingers or the back of a spoon, gently press the balls, flattening them.
    5. Bake the cookies in preheated oven for 12-13 minutes. ( ours took 14, ...) leave to cool slightly on the baking sheet before cooling completely on wire racks.
    6. To make the icing, place brown sugar, milk, butter and molasses in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat and stirring continuously cook for 1 more minute.
    7. Leave the mixture to cool for 2-3 minutes and stir in the powdered sugar, ground ginger and vanilla. Add more or less powdered sugar, depending on how thin you want the icing.
    8. With a small offset spatula or a spoon, top the cookies with the (delicious) I ing.9. Decorate with sprinkles ( the picture showed Adorable teeny- tiny gingerbread sprinkles.). We were going to use candied lemon peel, but my mom said she preferred her cookies without frosting...

I will definitely do this again, using candied peel and if I can find the gingerbread men sprinkles, I will use those.

I LOVE gingerbread cookies! Never had iced ones - they always remind me of Fall.
    The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

These are so good! I don't like the really hard gingerbread cookies. A maple glaze would also be good, I think.

Comment

I am going to copy and save this recipe...I like soft gingerbread cookies, never had icing on any.
        Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

I'm going to have to try these. Having icing on them reminds me of those animal crackers with pink icing...goofy...I know.

Comment

Some of my favorite cookies, Donna! (those iced circus animal cookies! In fact, too dangerous to have around)

Comment

Working...
            X