• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elaine's tea cake recipe, please?

i would love to try your tea cakes!
    Thanks!
    Paula

Paula, when I worked for the AF Personal Processing Department, where airman recruits go to begin their military service, we had many national and local VIP visitors. I had to order the silver coffee & tea service from the Officers/NCO Club along with tea cakes for the occasions. I thought their tea cakes or petite fours were terrible, hardly any flavor in them, no eye-candy appearance, so I decided to make my own each week. Mine were a very big hit!

I made mini cupcakes without the paper cups. I'd add extra flavoring to cake mixes. You could toss in a small box of pudding for a sturdier cake if you want, but I didn't back then. The wider tops would be the cakes' bottoms. I would frost the sides in one flavor of frosting. The top would get the second flavor. I ended up piping a "kiss" on top. The kiss would get a sprinkling of colored sugar or dregees. Or else a chocolate chip, candy kiss, or well drained maraschino cherry half over the peak. These were arranged on a tray on parchment.
    Oh, for extra-fancy cakes, after frosting the side, holding the two unfrosted ends, roll the frosted side in crushed nuts or flaked coconut. Then proceed with the top part. And it's not as complicated as it sounds.
    Actually there are many dozens of variations you can come up with to decorate them. There was nary a crumb left when the guests left. (And I also got very high points from my boss on my personal performance reports for my personnel records.)

This would be a great treat for your daycare students, or as gifts to their families at Christmastime; for friends; as a reasonable snack for yourself & Becky.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Love the last about a snack for Becky and me, the best!

Comment

😄
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I was just thinking about a white cake, flaked coconut on the side, orange marmalade (thin) under the top frosting, and a pineapple tidbit on the top.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

For me, Teacakes are plain and simple. I have about 10 recipes, but I use this one the most.

OLD FASHIONED TEACAKES

2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
            1/2 tsp. soda
            1/2 tsp. salt
            1 stick butter
            1/2 c. shortening
            1 egg
            1 tsp. vanilla (almond, or even lemon)
            1 c. sugar (3/4 white/1/4 brown)

Sift dry ingredients together. Cream butter, shortening, egg and vanilla. Add sugar. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Blend until smooth. Pinch off in bits about the size of a marble and flatten out with palm of hand on well greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes or until light brown.
            Last edited by ladyebug; 08-03-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Oh, that sounds good, Elaine. I must try this! Am always on the lookout for new, easy treats! Thanks!

Have you ever mixed equal parts of vanilla, almond and lemon, and using that in place of plain vanilla?
              It's great together, too.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Elaine love teacakes and I will be saving your recipe...thanks for sharing.
                Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

Thank you, Elaine!
                  Jo, you mean for cookies and such, use all three extracts?
                  I am going to have to try it!

Comment

Jo, I often mix vanilla with one other, but I love the idea of mixing all 3. I will definitely try that!

Comment

My friend and I both make that flavor mixture for baking, which we've used for years; its especially good in white or yellow cakes.
                      The King Arthur bakers had since come up with a similar mixture. 😉
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yes, Jo, I used to buy that mixture all the time from King Arthur - it's called Fiori di Sicilia and it's a mixture of orange and vanilla. Especially good in a pound cake!
                        The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Yeah, but they describe it as vanilla with a hint of citrus.
                          I figure you can go either way, orange or lemon, depending on which flavor moves you. I've used the orange mixture (mine) for someone doing an Italian birthday dinner, and was told how well it went over with every guest there.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have seen that offered but never thought of doing it myself. Thanks!

Comment

That recipe loks like it would make a nice tender cakelet. Think I should give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X