Stuffed cabbage casserole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuffed cabbage casserole

This is the recipe I mentioned this morning. All I can say is don't make it it the way it's written. It wasn't cooked evenly as the top wasn't done. The tomato sauce made a sort of mushy crust on top and the top cabbage didn't cook enough although that on the bottom was fine. Some of the rice didn't cook although most of it did. It also needs more salt. I did add powdered thyme as that's what I use in my cabbage rolls. Anyway here's the recipe:
    STUFFED CABBAGE CASSEROLE
    1 lb. ground beef
    3/4 c. rice
    1 lg. onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 28 oz. can tomato sauce
    1/4 c. cider vinegar
    2 tbs. brown sugar
    1 tbs. dry mustard
    8 c. coarsely chopped cabbage

Brown meat, onion, garlic. Drain well, add rice, salt, pepper. In small bowl mix together tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard. Layer 1/3 of cabbage in 3 qt. deep casserole. Arrange 1/2 beef mixture on top, cover with another 1/3 of cabbage. Top with remaining beef mixture and remaining cabbage. Pour tomato sauce mixture over the top, do not stir. Casserole will be quite full. Let it stand at room temperature for about 20 min. Bake in 325°F oven for 2 hours without stirring.

Submitted by: Denise Silvagi

Seems like I wasted a lot of food and it was the last of my cabbage and ground beef.

I just made cabbage rolls recently, I was going to make what they call inside out cabbage rolls but went with traditional ones, had been a long time...I usually make mine with tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato soup and use flour/water to thicken it just a bit. These sounds good also, will save the recipe along with your comments..always nice when people share their recipes.
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

Interesting....l have reservations about the vinegar, sugar & mustard in it. But maybe I'll try the dry mustard next time...could be interesting.
      I always add diced bell pepper, and sometimes celery, to mine. I use condensed tomato soup and V-8 juice to cook it in.
      When making rolls, I add a couple of eggs as well.

Thanks for posting this, Barb.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

We had a diner that made cabbage rolls every Wednesday. They were kind of sweet and sour...tomato based but maybe some lemon or vinegar. I have tried many recipes trying to find that one!
        Jo, were you the one saying you put a layer of cabbage leaves on the bottom of the rolls?

Comment

Yes. Some pots might have hot spots, causing food to stick and burn. The extra leaves will save the rolls from scorching.

I think for sweet-sour rolls, try adding a bottle of Kraft Catalina salad dressing to it. I use the Catalina dressing for cooking sweet-sour stir fry.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Needless to say I tossed it all after trying to eat some for dinner. Might have worked if I had added some water to the tomato sauce. I think next time I make this I will contrive my own recipe.

Comment

May try this cabbage recipe for me today.....Marianne won't eat it..... Used to make myself cabbage rolls....on the healthy side using no rice....added finely shredded veggies in with the ground turkey...egg beaters, finely minced low caloried diet bread that had been toasted... used egg beaters in the mix... Also used tomato sauce over it when I baked it.....froze them in individual servings....forgot....did add some barley!

We bought a huge cabbage at the downtown market.....did prepare some for myself with onion, zucchini, Kale, spicy salsa, Jalapeno peppers. even added some celery and sliced carrots....(I love veggies)......last week.... it was great! I am a lover of spice too....even love Ghost Peppers..... Heard on the news channel last week....that eating spicy food prolongs life... Never knew that......my Mom loved spicy food...but she died at 56......problem for her was when she was in her 30's she developed Rheumatic Fever...it left her with heart problems... She had congestive heart failure...

Comment

Working...
              X