Fruitcake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruitcake

My Dad was known for his fruitcake he made each year, I use to make one each year in memory of him plus my hubby and I both love it, but for the past 4 yrs. I have not made one, well yesterday with help from the hubby we made "Dad's Fruitcake". Now to wrap it in rum soaked cheese cloth, Saran Wrap and put in airtight container and let the flavors come to life. He and Mom both loved the Christmas season with all the making of goodies and decorating. Thank gosh for sweet memories.

I never liked fruitcake growing up don't know that I really ever tried it because of watching it be made, but when I got older and left home I loved it when I got to taste "Dad's Fruitcake".
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

My memories are much the same, Sharon. But the only time my Dad ever came into the kitchen was to eat, so it was all about my Mom and her fruitcakes.
    John, as well. He remembers his Mom soaking the cakes and wrapping to "season."

We are not traditional fruitcake people, but we like the kind made with graham crackers that you don't cook.

I am so glad you said something, because I am going to make one for us. It will last a couple of months, since John likes to slice it paper thin. It really is more like candy. And I can always take it to church.

Comment

Elaine, my mom and I were just talking about the year she first found the graham cracker no bake fruitcake. We love it.
      Our other favorite is from the Collin Street Bakery in Texas. Cold, sliced thin and eaten with a cup of cold eggnog...
      Food definitely is a big part of my Christmas memories!

Comment

Paula, one of my friends is an attorney here, and he gets so many gifts from clients during the holidays. For the past 5 years he has presented me with a Collin Street Fruitcake (I do his newsletter for him).
        It is a good cake, but still a fruitcake. LOL

Comment

We are not into fruitcakes anymore though when my Mom was alive...she always ordered them...one for each of her children's family. The ones she ordered were loaded with pecans...and so delicious.

Comment

Sharon, my mother started her fruitcake right after Thanksgiving. Instead of rum, she used Morgan David wine soaked dish towels to rap hers in. Then it was put in a tin, much like the popcorn tins that you can buy around this time of year. I too didn't care too much for fruitcake back then or even now.
            Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Love me some fruit cake. Yum! I'm not making it this year but Joyce is and will share. My mom, not the best cook in the world, made a good fruitcake. She always sent it to family and friends. The year I worked in Death Valley I asked her to send me one, too. Oooooo. It was bad, bad, bad. It tasted dry, old, and stale. I think she forgot the rum. I prefer brandy myself and have an excellence recipe if anyone would like to have it let me know.

Comment

I love a nice fruitcake. I never used to, and then one year I tried a piece together with a good, sharp cheddar cheese. Taste revelation! Now I can't get enough of the stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X