Friday, November, 29th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday, November, 29th

Good morning Rounders! Hey I blew up the microwave, yep, I killed it. My turkey was almost 1 hour into the cooking process and the microwave just died. It was 3 years ago that we found it on a trash picking venture and brought it home and scrubbed it up. It's a big one, a Sharp Carousel model, and it has worked great for 3 yrs, but yesterday I just knew it would be taxed. Well, not to worry because we found a smaller microwave the same day and it's been on the Lanai all this time and I did use it to dry some Zinnia's, but it still has life.

After the fiasco I had to put the turkey into the oven, which is only 3 yrs into it's young life, but I do not have a roasting pan so I had to use a biscuit pan, which is too shallow, but since I was using the liners for a crockpot to do the turkey I figured it would work. It only took another hour and 40 minutes to cook to perfection. The meat was falling off the bone, the bird was nice and brown and it was delicious.

We had cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing. We also had a combo of vegetables; broccoli, tiny carrots and cabbage cooked to perfection. I made a quart of gravy with the drippings and we have more dressing leftover. All in all it was a great meal.

I had a whole basket of dried flowers that have been setting in my guest room for years. I actually gathered the majority of them when we lived at the other place. I wanted to take them all out of the basket, remove the string that I had hastily tied them up with and organize the whole basket.

So I set up my 6 ft work table and started in on that task. I had 2 large bunches of Black Eyed Susan's, 2 bunches of Zinnia's, 2 bunches of Blue Bedder Salvia, and one bunch of Purple Coneflowers. I had several bunches of Pink Baby's Breath, but instead of keeping those I shook out the seeds which are so very tiny and bottled them up for 2020. I had a few Sunflower heads and I picked out the those tiny seeds and got a full bottle.

I use medicine bottles to store my seeds. I had pretty blue & white gingham checked strips of cloth to tie everything up pretty and they all look amazing.

The Purple Coneflowers did not yield many seeds, or so I thought at first glance. It was when I was turning over the scraps of flowers left in the basket that I noticed so many coneflowers seeds. OMG!

I managed to get a whole bottle of those cone seeds. I'm in heaven! I cleaned and wiped up the table and tried to capture all those tiny seeds that fell out as I was reworking them and it was a substantial pile. I put them in the strip of garden by my walkway at the back of the house. That soil is a bit better suited and I have access to the water hose. Bonus!

I forgot to tell you about the Celosia seeds. I didn't want to keep the Celosia flowers because they were not very big and the stems were too short, but those seeds fell out bonkers! We will have plenty of those next spring/summer. If all goes well I will have a cutting garden beyond my dreams next year.

Well, I sure hope all of you had a more uneventful day than we did. Aunt Maye, I'm thinking of you every single day and sending love your way. Hope to see you back here soon.

Peace & Plenty.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good Morning to all of you my fine rounder family....I was so much looking forward to just sitting down here and my computer and visiting with all of you, four days in the kitchen has been very taxing on me, I swear to downsize next year.. I made pies specifically for those I knew who liked what, and one cake, lots of pie crusts made, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate pie, dutch apple pie, Reese's cup peanut butter pie, and a Mexican fruit cake. All the while thinking to myself I could never ever do what cookielady does..My menu, turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, baked beans, homemade noodles, `stuffing/dressing, giblet gravy, green beans, corn, cranberry sauce and rolls. I bought pie pans with lids and had been saving containers for a year so was able to send leftovers home with leftovers, with the turkey and ham in quart bags..everyone was happy..

Today will be putting crockpots and such away until Christmas...I have come to the realization that I "ain't what I use to be many long years ago". My mind says "oh go ahead you can do this", my body says, "what the hell you doing to me"! So after putting things away I plan on being a couch potato today, I am not a black Friday shopper, never have been, in fact I detest shopping.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and we sure have so much to be thankful for, found myself thinking of your military men and women who have given so much and their families...kids growing up without a parent, etc. or the homeless or those without families...silent prayer for all of them.

Was so nice having my two sons here yesterday, I know how hard it is for the one to come two hours away and he and his friend have their own business to run, well its landscaping, lawn care, maintenance and snow removal, all for businesses no residential. His Father lives across town so he gets to eat with both of us...I have mine dinner early so he has time for it to settle before he eats again, LOL...have done it this way for years...I always felt instead of doing one year you are with me, the next with your Father was not fair, so for him and his sister I always split the days with him on Thanksgiving and Christmas...

Well this girl is going to have a ham and toast for breakfast...hope everyone gets some rest today.

karliann, wonderful idea with the medicine bottles and saving seeds..
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

• jostoy
      jostoy commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ya, Sharon. Especially with the body getting older. I think I'm gonna have to call my PCP Monday. I think I've broken some ribs when I fell in my SIL's garage a week ago. I just thought it was pulled muscles at first, but it's taking longer to heal than for pulled muscles. AND Icy Hot doesn't help at all. BTW.. that stuff stinks !!! Hurts like it did when I broke 2 ribs 2 or 3 years ago.

Good morning! Yesterday was a very nice day for us too. We had a quiet meal and I do not know why I cook so much food! I can tell Jon did not take leftovers in his lunch this morning...probably because he knows he will be eating them for the next couple of days for supper. Sierra and her bf came in the later afternoon and then Andrew called to be picked up. We all sat around and played cards. After Sierra left the 3 guys played a little longer then Scott and Andrew played a while. I never expected Andrew back yesterday but his mom said he wanted to be here. Before Scott leaves today he wants to do lunch at his favorite restaurant and Sierra 'may' join us but I am not holding my breath cuz bf would have to get out of bed. Andrew's mom and family have bowling plans and he does not like Scott's restaurant so I don't expect him today but you just never know. He loves his Uncle Scott and why not?..they are both on a 13 year old level! OMG!

We have to go into the mall to eat lunch today and I hope we can even get a table but I can promise I will not be spending a minute in that mall shopping. There can be no bargain big enough for me to fight a crowd for. But I know some love the thrill. Now I am mainly working on stocking stuffers and Drew's mom is coming by Sunday to help me order Six Flags passes. I couldn't get it to go through last year and she came in and just did it so this year I will start with her and avoid the aggravation. While she is here she can reprogram the thermostat which is off since the time change. She comes in and does this stuff for us and never stops talking the entire time...she and Jon know so many of the same people.

It rained a bit yesterday and started as sleet and it looks wet out this morning but I will be going out only for lunch. We never made it to the cemetery but I will get there. It has been a nice Holiday and now I will start on Christmas decorating. Hockey tonight and then again tomorrow. I will be in my comfy bed early tonight. It is Jon's weekend to work so I will be sitting up late tomorrow night with Andrew. He will not spend the night unless he has to. Have a lot of laundry and picking up but also have all weekend.

I love purple cone flowers... Have a great one everyone!

Comment

• jostoy
      jostoy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you, Maxie on the shopping thing on Black Friday. I went once a few years ago when the stores didn't open until 10 P for shoppers. Well that was my first AND last time for shopping Black Friday.

Good morning..My day is off to a slow start. I have had shower and I am dressed..left over apple pie for breakfast with a glass of milk. I just finished off a bowl of green bean cassarole.

My sister and her family minus 1 niece just got here. Us girls are headed to my granny’s nursing home. Daddy and my brother in-law are working on my dad’s mustang.

Tonight I am hoping for our favorite pizza. My cousin is coming tonight.

Comment

• jostoy
      jostoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Beth, that doesn't sound like a healthy breakfast.

Good cold morning! 36*! Frost on roof and lawn and this is my holiday weather.
    Boffler, I want to eat with you and then drop in at all the rest!
    Both boys called yesterday. Spencer’s family ate with friends who do a lot of Southern style cooking and told me all about the collard greens ham cobblers, etc.
    Nikki made a ham that sounds wonderful and I will be trying it for Christmas.
    Becky made us a nice green bean and dill with roasted hazelnuts dish. The nuts were the reason I went to two different stores Wednesday night.

I used to shop Black Friday but not for a very long time.
    I have some friends who always post photos of their leaving to go shopping: around 6:00 pm Thanksgiving night!
    Maybe if I had kids at home but happy those days are behind me.
    I do have to buy lights for the outside of the house but not today!

i gave away the leftovers to my mom that I made specifically for her and got my turkey put away quickly. Today is cookie baking day for Becky and tomorrow is her day to mail them off. She bakes for both brothers and their families.

The flower seeds project is awesome, Karlinann! I love co efliwrs and Black eyed Susan’s!

I started clearing out Fall decorations last night and will get all my flat surfaces cleared for Christmas. I changed out picture over the mantel and the piano and the ocean picture in daycare is now a big snowman!
    Later today we will bring in the tubs with ornaments and get the tree decorated which is a month long process for me as I constantly change and add ornaments.

Your day sounds great, yesterday and today. I wish I had people coming to my house but it just isn’t happening so I am happy to visit with you all!

Better get moving. Pay day was Wednesday and that was a surprise.
    I want to get the five mail in bills done before the mail goes out.

See you all later and enjoy the day!

Comment

• jostoy
      jostoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Paula, I cleaned house Wednesday, and got my area cleared that I will be putting up my fiber optic tree. Wanted to put some lights outside on the railing, but at this time I don't have any lights. Started to buy some last week, but SIL said to wait and see what she had that I could use. My problem with that may be to cold to be outside by the time she looks to see what lights she has.

Hey! I survived!

Wednesday morning was absolutely nuts here. I was so close to tears & losing my mind. I had to re-do my cream pies 3x. The first time a brand new customer was coming & was giving him directions as he drove & past my house twice. Then came in & chatted. Well when he left, I found out my two pots of fillings were scorched. Had to start AGAIN. We tasted the two filling & I had forgot the sugar. Third time was a charm & they were tasty. I then was running behind finishing up the almond torte & caramel pie. I called both customers & got them to delay coming for an hour. Then one of my grumpier customers arrived & we take her order(s) out to her car for her. When she called to tell me she was there, she got a bit snippy with me, and being in the stressed out mode that I was, I sniped back. Not good. She's never been married, no kids, and was a school teacher. She's use to things being her way.

Sue stayed until I got everything done & took care of customers until then. She had my kitchen all cleaned up for me. She's a blessing. I then took a break for a couple hours before starting on my Thkg food prep. Kathy picked up Blaise around 530pm. I was none too happy with her, but what else is new there. She just an ungrateful brat sometimes. She text me very late (1130pm) Tue night asking for two pies for their Thkg meal. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. I told her to bring me a can of pumpkin & that I would just give her our pie & make another for us. Guess what she didn't bring? I was PO'd. I had enough pies for us, but that wasn't the point. It didn't phase her. Sue came in the morning, I unloaded on her, and I felt better until Kathy arrived w/o the pumpkin, then I got mad all over again.

I had 3 extra pies made...pumpkin, mixed berry, & a rhubarb....they all got sold Wed late afternoon. I guess I was meant to make the extra pies. Guess it wasn't an accident.

Yesterday I got up and got the turkey stuffed & roasting by 8am. Becca arrived and we then headed to the church to get the food ready for the Thkg meal that was being served there for free. I had a great team of people, and we were ready. Only one little hiccup, and I let her bother me, but for the most part it was great. We left at 2pm to come home and finish prepping for our family meal. I roasted the turkey, made the gravy, noodles, tons of stuffing, candied yams, coleslaw, carrots & onions. I sent the pies with my SIL on Wed when she dropped off the noodles. My SIL makes the BEST mashed potatoes. I've told her for years that I'll gladly cook anything she wants, I just don't want to have to clean my house also and host the dinner. Works for the two of us. Everything was cooked in packed in the car by 4pm.

My SIL's step brothers and their two boys joined us. That as a first. The one brother's wife died a couple months back, and she was always the fly in the ointment. Nobody got along with her. We had a lovely time with them. None of my SIL own brothers & families came, just her Mom. Their loss. We had tons of good food. The one boy told me that was the best stuffing he's ever had. Made my day! We don't make fancy, but it's all comfort food. Becca went shopping with my nieces & SIL. Got back around 1230am. Finally went to bed around 1am.

This morning my friend Lori who use to do my hair came for a visit. They moved to Myrtle Beach a few years back. Another customer/friend stopped by to get her cookies, and we had a nice visit too. Later this afternoon I'll be rewarming everything to take back to my brother's for our traditional leftover night. I'm making an apple pie to take too. We all are too full on Thkg to enjoy dessert. Becca will leave after dinner to go back home & back to work. Only 2 1/2 weeks before she graduates. Did I tell you she got offered a new position/promotion. She can't start it until she graduates.

Have a good one all!

Comment

• jostoy
      jostoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Donna, I just am amazed at all you do. I think Kathy would not have gotten a pie by calling for one that late. Don't have an kids or a husband so don't know the "kind" feelings that go with those "actions".

Congrats to Becca! Didn't Kathy have Thanksgiving with you? Scott is gone and I made his bed...didn't change the sheets because he will be back in a couple of weeks for Christmas. I'll Fabreze it..I do that anyway when the beds been made up for a while unused. We went back home to the cemetery and out for an early lunch. Sierra did not join us even though we were just down the street from her cuz they were going out for their third anniversary. Can you imagine kissing that for 3 years? How does she even know what he looks like with that darn hat constantly on his head? I know, not nice! But it does answer why I have been in a bad mood for 3 years!

Have my second load of laundry in and only have 2 more to go. I should hang the door wreath and do some decorating but I am tired. Thinking I will take a coffee break and talk with my sister. She understands me and my bad moods. I have reread your posts and have to laugh that some of you do dressing and others stuffing...must be a region thing or maybe a family thing? We have dressing! So glad you all had wonderful holidays. Now we get to start another holiday season!

Comment

• karlinann
      karlinann commented
      Editing a comment
      My DH says you can either dress it or stuff it, but either way you have to eat it. Whoot! LOL! ROFLOL!

Good afternoon all.

Karli, can't make a comment under your post so will do it here. I have "dumpster dived" myself. Usually for kid toys. In Illinois, we'd go drive around when it was "clean-up" week. We had them in April and October. Found some very useable items.

Our family is having our Thanksgiving tomorrow. My SIL and I did go to my older niece's house yesterday and had spaghetti. She and her husband were alone as their kids went to their S.O.'s families. Was really nice to sit down and have a nice conversation.

Today I went out and used the rider to mulch leaves. We had such high winds Wednesday that it finally blew every leaf off the trees in the neighborhood. And as you can guess, a lot of leaves got stuck in my yard. All of my tree leaves fell a while back, but then I don't have any oak trees. Those are the leaves that got blown off.

Time to get a bite of lunch. Had breakfast about 10 so will just say...have a good afternoon and night.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Working...
    X