Antique shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique shopping

While I was in MI Vicky and I went to an antique mall, loved it, found two bean pots, a set of vintage pyrex bowls, it also had a large yellow one but I had one already so I gave it to Vicky, and I found another Chokin vase, I love things in the Chokin line... I have been trying all way from Sunday and it will not let me post a photo keeps telling me invalid file, etc/

Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Sounds like good finds, Sharon. I'm not familiar with "Chokin", but I do love Pyrex.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

We antique! Something both the boys inherited from their father and me. I seldom buy anything any more but it is still fun. Around here I have noticed that most 'antique' stores are also craft stores which is a distraction. When my husband was alive we did a lot of auctions. we collected American Fostoria and have a ton in boxes but some of the more original pieces are sitting out. Jon recently surprised me with the cigarette box that mysteriously disappeared when I moved the first time. It was impossible to replace and he said he just walked into this store and there it was...I think that is what the lure is...you never know what you will find in the next store! Congrats on your finds..it was a good day!!

Comment

My Dad's retirement dream was to open a little "junk" shop so we were at auctions a lot. If he could get the collectables cheap enough he bought them. Antique dealers hated him because there were somethings that if he liked he would bid until he got it. One of them told him that he didn't know what things would sell for so he should leave it to the professionals to which Daddy told him a thing or two. Of course they all took him for a country bumpkin since overalls and t shirts were what he wore at all times

I prefer to hit the thrift shops because to them a bowl is a bowl and I have picked up thing far a quarter that down the street in the antique store was 15 dollars. My aunt collects the moss rose pattern, I found a piece for her paid a dollar, my uncle told me that he had found the same one but he didn't get it for her because they wanted $50 for it.

Comment

• boffler
        boffler commented
        Editing a comment
        That is true Darla I hit the thrift stores also...

Chokin is the ancient Japanese art of engraving copper and gilding it with precious gold and silver.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Art-Of-Chokin-Ivory-Porcelain-Vase-With-24kt-Gold-Gilding/292238848846?hash=item440acaf34e%3Ag%3AfaMAAOSwo4p YbXdR
      Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

• maxie
        maxie commented
        Editing a comment
        I have probably seem a piece but didn't know what I looking at. They are beautiful...glad you posted a picture so we could see what it is.

On MY, I recognize the wishing well...my mom had one. Makes me wonder where it ever got and if the sibling that got it knows it is a collectable? It sat on Moms sewing machine cabinet when she had it folded up so it probably had a loose pin or two inside. Funny I remember that. We collected the clear Fostoria with the diamond shape. Right now Jon will bring in a unique piece he finds but that is all. The fun is more in the challenge now I guess.

Comment

Has anyone heard of Maid Of Honor dishes? Candie still has a lot of my pyrex and fire king dishes. I had a loaf pan I thought was pyrex but it says maid of honor on it. From what I can tell it was put out by Sears. I know I had to have picked it up at a thrift shop or yardsale.

Comment

• boffler
          boffler commented
          Editing a comment
          It is Pyrex the name Maid of Honor is the pattern I believe...is it white milk glass with turquoise flowers?

Hoff, no this looks like milk glass but it is solid red. Kind of reminds me of the pyrex mixing bowls you have, which is why I thought it was pyrex

Comment

https://goo.gl/images/JPpaa2 this is the loaf pan I'm talking about only mine is red

Comment

Awesome https://www.google.com/search?q=vint...7eV9Te3zhai4M:

Comment

I don't have the lid for mine. Funny it is being sold for $45. I would never pay that price, of course I but mine to use just like my cast iron.

Comment

Boy, am I getting lessons in antiques here! The pictures help so much.

I've never been into antiques, maybe because I've never had any close friends/family who were. I just buy something because I like it. Like I love Cobalt Blue glass. I've been giving the dishes and glassware and a decanter and wine glasses set to one of my girls. It might not be worth much but it's pretty.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Boff, I had some of those too, don't know what the kids or x did with them. I had 4 picnic plates that Daddy got at an auction when I was maybe 13. In fact he got my hope chest at the same time and when Mom pulled the plates out of a box she gave them to me to start my hope chest

Comment

Those are beautiful, Sharon! I may have had some of those pieces at one time, from my mother. If I come across any, I'll think of you and send them.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X