When intelligent people fall for a scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When intelligent people fall for a scam

Yesterday the phone rings and it is a person saying they are employed by the manufacturers of Windows or something like that, they told him there is a virus in the Windows system to get on your computer and they gave him a license number for a computer, we have two laptops and a desktop, well hubby is over there turning on his computer and starting to type in a few things I am screaming at him to hang up, etc., etc. he keeps on, I grab a phone and put it on speaker and proceed to start raking the guy over the coals and telling him he is a fraud, etc...hubby is looking at me like I am crazy he said, "I thought the guy sounded legit and wanted to hear what he had to say"! DUH are you crazy!! I got on my laptop and showed him the scam that was and is being ran on people and the phone just kept ringing with two different numbers coming up, which if you tried to call them back you are told there is no such number...I blocked the calls I see the phone light up but it gets kicked out and I also reported the number to our phone company and the no call government site....But I was thinking had I not been home and went crazy on him he would have been dubbed by that call and let them in his computer and all personal files...He is a very smart intelligent man and I just could not believe he fell for it...I told him they don't like getting ahold of me because I go all ballistic on them...
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

We have gotten to the point that we don't pick up the phone when the caller's # is not familiar to us.
    The first time we will wait to see if they leave a message. If not, E puts it in his blocking system. They get a sound like your line is tied up on a fax machine ir something, and often quit calling. But if the keep calling, the phone doesn't ring and they get that sound and hang up.
    We often get 30-40 of those calls in a month. Many of the calls from Nogales, where apparently a lot of those pests are.
    Robot calls, telemarketers, political, charities.....once you answer, they definitely keep calling, but also sell your # on a list of "suckers".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

• boffler
      boffler commented
      Editing a comment
      I have robo call set up with my phone company but these fellows call from all kinds of different numbers and they actually talk and know your phone number, believe me they have been calling every hour on the hour sometimes using the same number then other times a different one...I just keep reporting them to the government website. And blocking the number, I see it come up but it gets kicked out because I block it on my phone...in time he will learn...

In the past I have not answered if I do not know the caller id but lately have been answering. I am the school emergency number for Andrew and Sierra is on the road a lot. Once I have established who the caller is I hang up. It is probably easier for those of us who are home all day to recognize scam calls because we deal with them regularly. Just another retirement adjustment your husband will learn to make...scammers. Remember when they were just smart enough to interrupt meal times? Now they have a whole new electronic way to mess with us!

Comment

• boffler
      boffler commented
      Editing a comment
      Maxie that is what I told him yesterday he has a lot to learn since he is retired I have been dealing with calls for over 20 yrs. LOL

They are sneaky..And they use area code.....I had one last night..I pick -up..She was give sad story....I slam phone down..Now i use the ansewering machine..That is out..So be careful..everyone..

Comment

As I have written before I never answer the phone until the phone has wrung at least five times .Most scam callers only let the phone ring four time before hanging up so the chances of a scam call get pretty thing after that time. I seldom if ever have to hang up on a scam caller.

Comment

• boffler
        boffler commented
        Editing a comment
        ARM that is my philosophy if I don't recognize the number the answering machine can take it...if it is important after 4 rings the machine comes on...he will learn he is to use to answering all calls when he worked, LOL He just has to get use to a phone at the house, LOL..
    Working...
    X