Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ♥ Labor day ~ 9/5/2016 ♥

Good Morning, Friends.

Wonderful day at church yesterday. A friend of one of our members gave us her Steinway baby grand piano, and we had a dedication and sang songs. Several people besides the pianist played just for fun, and it was SUCH fun. The church was full, which was the best part.
    Excellent day with the Lord and wonderful friends.

Quiet day at home for us (aren't they all?) Guess I'll be making something with shrimp and a pineapple dessert of some sort.
    Need to work on the Retired Teachers Yearbook and 4 in the morning seemed like a good time, so I am here typing names and addresses.

Hope you each have a lovely day. Hugs

uggg woke up sick!!!! I took my blankets and quilt to laundry mat on Saturday...last night I was a little bit cold so I decided to use the blanket and I guess the person that used the dryer before me or maybe washer used to something I am allergic to...full on allergic reaction + still tired from work yesterday...

Yesterday at work was presale leading up to the big sale today....the store was so full of customers yesterday that every time you turned around you were having to say excuse me...or having to stop to help a customer....They say today will be worse...greatful that I only work 4 hours today...will get a pizza and come home. Probably get back under my covers after I take me to fight what ever this crap is...IF it wasn't a sale day I would consider calling in.

Comment

Elaine what a great day at church yesterday, filled with songs and happiness...quiet days are what we have also most times.
      Sorry you have the itches but you are right about not calling in, a busy time at work would make it miserable on others.

The cookout went over great, you know who tried being the center of attention but she was not, but thankfully hubby's 91 yr. old Grandpa was here and he was, so thankful he could be here, he absolutely loved our home and place...and everything he ate he bragged on me and hubby for being such great cooks... hubby did a great job on the smoked ribs and chicken and I made potato salad, coleslaw, hush puppies, broasted potatoes, crack green beans, grilled corn on the cob, smoked macaroni & cheese, baked beans, no one went away hungry and almost everyone took home leftovers...hubby's brother told us that he and his SO were no longer a couple and Mom tried to be the center of that talk also, LOL It was a beautiful day outside, but to many bees and flies to eat outside but I have a diningroom table that seats 8 and another table in the sunroom that could seat 6 and the kitchen bar area that could seat 3, so all bases were covered, and even though we told people to bring drinks I made lemonade and sweet tea, that is what everyone drank, also coffee...someone brought a strawberry dessert and a pizza dessert, I made monkey bread and no bake cookies, had cut up cantaloupe and watermelon. We were both tired yesterday, got the rest of the clean up finished, watched the races, I deep fried fish and made homemade French fries...

Today we will be going to the county fair as hubby wants to see the tractor pulls...works for me..

Today is my daughters 40th birthday, she is the middle child...so now I have a 42 yr. old son, 40 yr. old daughter and the youngest son will be 32 next month...guess this makes me old also...I was 63 this year...and I use to think 63 was old, now I know it is just a number...

Have a great day one and all, don't 'labor' to hard...

Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

Good morning everyone.

Holidays just pass me by as I don't have anyone to celebrate with. Just another day for me. Today I want to till the garden as the only thing left in my garden is cucumbers, which are still producing.. Will till around them.

It is scheduled to rain starting Wed. night and rain through Saturday. I have the septic guy coming Friday to move the extra gravel and the mounds of dirt. May call to see if he could possibly come Thursday afternoon. I don't need much rain to come down until he gets the job done. My lot looks like a real mess with all that dirt mounded up in the back of the camper. But we can't control mother nature.

Hope everyone has a great day.
        Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Good Morning! It's a very sunny pretty one here.

Yesterday turned into being WAY busier than expected, but that was OK. I knew I had to make 4 pies, but it turned into 18. We decided that I'd have pies down at the stand today which we originally wasn't going to, but since the peaches were ripening up, I made some peach filling and got busy. Lew promised a peach pie to one guy forgetting I said Monday, but fortunately I was making them and the guy came and got a nice hot one directly from me. I like meeting the customers and telling them I bake year around and they can call me anytime. I was done baking by 3pm and started in on getting stuff ready to take to my brother's for our little get together last night. Aunt J & Uncle D came too, which was wonderful. I ended up having to go get Blaise from Kathy's, but that was OK because he was excited and told me about his day at the zoo. It was a very good day all in all.

Not sure how today will turn out. I don't have to bake today....if I don't want to. I'm not taking pies to the stand tomorrow. Today is catch up day around here. I actually found my dining room table under the crumbs, papers, & coupons. Next project is the pantry and getting things on the shelves where they belong so then I'll know what I need to purchase at Aldi's tomorrow, though if Aldi's is open today, I may go there later. If I decide to go to Aldi's, I'll need to bake a peach & apple pie before going because I promised a disabled customer that I would deliver her order when I went to Aldi's. My niece Maddie is being dropped off here a little after noontime because I'm taking her to work later on. I'm going to put her to work for an hour or two beforehand. She can always use the money and I can always use the help. Her parents are both going to be gone for the day and I was asked if I could do this. No problem. It's a great time to connect with her.

Well back to work. Bethina I hope you are rewashing those blankets before you use them again. Take a rag with you and wipe the wash & dryer out before using them....just incase.

Have a good one all!

Comment

Good morning everyone..

LOL...Me too..CookieLady..

My laundry like to grow over night..And wash the sheets to day...And had some making the bed..

Now making homemade bread..

Staying home to day..The store will busy to day..I have little things around the house..
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Good morning to all. ☕️ 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪 cookies, anyone?

Another hot sunny day ahead....102°. I'm so ready for autumn and cooler weather. 🌵
              No real plans here today. He did say something about maybe a movie?
              You have Quiet Days? It's nearly unheard of here. E doesn't do quiet. (I love quiet.) So usually he's got music playing. Otherwise he sings. He used to sing real songs. Now he breaks into made-up songs in made-up languages. I just tell him that when he gets to the Old Age Home, they'll just "love" him! Oh yeah, he also talks to or yells at TV, newspapers, and magazines, or just reading out loud. That makes my reading difficult, so as a reminder to him I turn the back of my chair to him. Now he'll ask if I'm reading anything important, 'cause he wants to share something with me. But, if that's the worst of my problems, I'm lucky. Also, the loss of one's own hearing can save a spouse's life. 😄

Sharon, my youngest child is 42, and the two oldest are 54 this year (Jan & Dec). I think the stepkids have hit 60, except the one who visited this weekend...their birth days are in the 50's. I can keep track of their birthdays in my head, but not the years. And with pen and paper I just did the ages of my kids. Ages are just numbers. I don't know how many times over the years I've had to stop and figure out my current age for some reason or other. I truly forgot my age. Now I have E to remind me there's a 5-1/2 yr difference in our ages. 🙄

Laundry...E makes a point of getting to it first. Fine with me. But a bunch of my stuff has shrunk. Goodwill will soon be getting more stuff. He learned that we get only the laundry products without perfumes. Or else his skin gets itchy.
              Beth, maybe you got a dryer that someone threw those new fragrance crystals in. The fragrance itself may have depleted, but the crystals' chemicals may stil remain in the depths of the machine.

So many pies every day, Cookie. Unbelievable....but good for you!

Have a great day, everyone. ☀️
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Love this day off! I have been to two grocery stores and put it all away. Now I have no room in either freezer, but also no need to shop for anything but milk later.
                Jo, when my kids were little, to pass the time we would wait in lines, or sitting at the theater, I would ask, If life were a musical, what would this scene look like?
                Lots of giggles and whispered dialogue and choreography and songs thought up...as adults someone always brings that up..." How Mom kept us under control".
                That and walking in stores with their hands in their pockets kept me sane with four kids.
                I have had to come to that philosophy that my age is just a number, too. Especially when my oldest will be 42 next month, and my youngest is 35. I( I had to subtract the tears, Jo...😉. And all 4 birthdays are between Oct. 23 and Dec 18...not the best thing to do when you are a single income teacher family.
                Beth, I feel for you. I changed detergent one time and had a child break out in hives.
                I am mowing the lawn in a bit. Right now I am taking a sleeping cot to our dog shelter, then some pumpkin scones to some friends. They are too good to keep around.
                Elaine, that Steinway is such a wonderful gift!
                I bought lard, Donna! I am going to learn to make real pie dough...not wasting any fruit until I get the dough down.
                Have a great day!
                Sharon, your menu sounds like you cooked up a storm! Enjoy the fair!
                See you later!

Comment

Got in a few minutes ago and do not feel like starting anything yet. Traffic was light so made good time which is why I chose to come home in the morning instead of evening. Had a marvelous time and we laughed until we cried on several occasions. Funny how those old stories never get old! Today would have been my 46th wedding anniversary and tomorrow my husbands 69th birthday. We married on Labor Day weekend since he was on school break...he was going to school on the GI Bill so I worked and he went to school. Does not seem that long. Since we are talking the ages of our kids Scott is 43 and Jon will be 40 this month. Funny how I can be so young and have children that old...must have been a child bride but I can't remember. lol Sierra was here last night and has a pot of spaghetti going in the crock. I had had it all ready for her to just plug in since Jon is working today. Carpenter called and will be here Wednesday and Thursdays. YAY! a new front porch and just in time. My sister has never been here and next Saturday is the Balloon Glow in Staunton so we are all going and they will spend the afternoon here. At least I won;t have to put up a DANGER sign on the porch. Jon and Sierra worked in the yard yesterday and he finished a Spring project and cut the flowers off the hostas. To me those things are just ugly, like a yucca plant, and I leave them only for the bees and hummers. So he does soak up some things i say and do! He tried to unload the boy cave sofa on the neighbor but he said he wanted a recliner...funny thing, we had one of those in the laundry room so now we have a hole in the laundry room and a whole lot more room for the new clothes rack my bil is bringing me Saturday. Kate was going to leave it for the new owners but I got it instead. And I will admit I like laundry and ironing a whole lot more that cooking! My pineapple upside down cake was delish..notice I said was. Guess I should get up and moving. Home again home again..blah!

Comment

Paula, I love that question you asked to "keep the kids under control".
                    I had no problem with mine in lines, or waiting in the theaters. They were busy thinking about their favorite snack to get, or holding onto my pocket or skirt because I'd be holding the youngest one or two.
                    The problem was in long drives....but I'd start a song, or "fracture" the words of a song so they'd be in giggles. ("Smokey the bear, Smokey the bear, howl in' and a-growl in' in his itchy underwear..."). When we wore out our voices, we'd count cars of a certain color, or trucks, or "if those vehicles were (fish, bugs, animals - one category at a time). If they got grumpy, grab your pillow and take a nap; if you can't get along you're just too tired. There was also their tote bag with a favorite toy or two, puzzle and coloring books, and small snacks for "only when you are hungry, because you can't take your (siblings' ) share. E was amazed at how they'd be so involved with these at a normal voice level all the way to our destinations, so he could concentrate on the traffic.

Seems kids just grow up too fast. They get older, have kids, and we finally get the respect we deserved before...they wondered how we managed with twice the number of kids than they have. 😄
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Paula A
                      Paula A commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, Jo! I have the Smokey the Bear song/ jingle in my head!
                      Think I'm going to teach it to the daycare kids. You don't hear it on the PSA about fire prevention anymore. Around here all kids know who Smokey is and what his message is.
                      Funny how those things come right back...

• sassygirl01
                      sassygirl01 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I remember Smokey the bear.
                      Only "YOU" can prevant forest fire....

Good late evening.

been a long sleepy day... had books on the Reader. but I would read, fall asleep. ...by evening , I decided to skim all three books. ( the first first 50 pages and the last 2 chapters.. not my type/or style of books.. finally found one by an old favorite author.. downloaded and will start. since I did sleep a lot will probably read into the night...
                    I resolved to start cutting back on the neuronton. and the tylenol.. I was getting so congested.. the neuronton has to be be downsized in steps anyhow.. so I will learn to live with a few hard jabs once in a while. (I hope).. I was coughing and feeling like I had a really bad cold. that was the med.. so I got thru today..

read all above ..love singing to your kids JoG..
                    Maxie , everything you cook just disappears . you might not like to cook but it must be darn good.!!!

Kids ages ..it it totally impossible to think my youngest, and baby girl will be 50 in Jan.. altho' 50 years old look like they are in their 30s now a days..
                    boy am I ever old.!.

see you all in the morning
                    Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

😄. Maye, the kids were singing, too. That was the fun of me it.
                      Sometimes I really miss those days.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X