When did this start??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did this start??

Noticed that a facebook friend posted that she is thinking about giving herself a baby shower. This is her second child (older one just turned 3). I know that times have changed but didn't baby showers used to be given by friends/family and for the first child only? This was to get you started, with things like generic baby items and maybe some would go together and purchase a larger items. Most things could be used for either a boy or girl and so could be used from one child to the next.

Maybe this is the new norm but to me it makes her look greedy/needy

The neighbor ladies did throw my Mom a baby shower for my baby brother, of course I was the youngest up to that time and I was 11 years old. Baby items had been passed on to other family members and worn out.

I echo you ... with a child just 3.. the lady should have lots of small items and "furniture".. greedy.-needy

How about the lady who is giving herself a great big ( rent a hall -big)...50th birthday party?... ... .. yeap I'm invited ..
    Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Nowadays, the moms want a shower for every baby. One young lady had more "Mom's personal items", including a satin nightgown, than she had listed actual baby items. Another Mom had 3 girls, and asked for a shower for the boy she was expecting....I can understand that, especially if they had money problems. Still, friends or family would have sent her cash or boys' things.

Birthday parties are another matter. 50 is a milestone for many people. For others, a good reason for an open bar.

Depends on the people.....everyone is different. 😄
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Times have changed...guess if you can get somebody to attend and bring a gift you have had a successful party.

Comment

Nobody reads the etiquette books anymore. I think it is at my for the brides mom to give her a shower but that seems to be the norm, too.

Comment

I know times have changed, I know used to baby/bridal showers were for the women only, I can go with the fact that Daddy's and Husbands are now more involved in the whole process and so attend these now. Also refreshments were maybe little nut/mint cups and some sort of drink and cake. Now it seems that there is a full meal expected.

Also I've noticed that people act offended when you offer them handme downs for their children. My kids would have went naked if it weren't for the handme downs. I come from a very large family and we all had a habit of if we found something nice, in good shape at a yard sale or in the thrift shop and the price was right we would grab it, knowing that someone (or in our case several someones) would use it. When I first came up here there was a woman who was having her 5th child, I found a very nice stroller at a yard sale at a very low price, had the extra money so I grabbed it, when I offered it to her you would have thought I was offering her a snake, she looked at me and said "I want a NEW stroller" Her husband worked but didn't make much, so they still drew public aid.

Comment

Just asking for gifts sounds like to me, I know its expensive, but geez, throwing your own shows, birthday parties, etc. There is no shame!!
              Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

If you don't have enough family or friends to give you a baby shower, you shouldn't have a baby shower. IMHO it is crass to throw a baby shower for yourself.
                "God loves us so much, He gave us friends!" Amen! http://roundersonline.org/core/images/smilies/smile.png

Comment

Working...
                X