Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato talk

Tomato Talk:

1. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that's good for the heart and effective against certain cancers. (It's also what makes tomatoes red.). Cooked tomatoes are better than raw ones: The heat that causes more of the antioxidant properties to be released.

2. Don't store tomatoes in the fridge! The cold damages their delicate membranes, and they become mealy. Instead, leave them at room temperature. Another trick? Put them stem side down to keep them from rotting too quickly.

3. Long thought to be poisonous, the leaves of the tomato plants can actually add a vibrant "fresh tomato aroma" to pasta sauces, according to renowned food scientist Harold McGee. He recommends using them like fresh basil.

4. Despite their relatively low sugar content compared to, say, a banana, tomatoes are indeed fruits --- just don't tell that to the Supreme Court. To settle a customs case in 1893, the justices unanimously ruled that tomatoes are, legally speaking, veggies so they could be taxed under customs regulations.

5. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Americans eat about 86 pounds of tomatoes per person each year. (More than half of that is ketchup and tomato sauce.)

6. Eating cooked tomatoes may act as a kind of internal sunscreen, according to researchers at the universities of Manchester and Newcastle, England, by helping block UV rays. But don't toss the sunscreen away yet: Tomatoes are only a supplement to lotions, not a replacement.

7. Though the definition is open for debate, an "heirloom" tomato typically means a variety that was open-pollinated (non-hybrid; common prior to WWII), with the seeds passing from gardener to gardener. Some people grow heirlooms because they like knowing the history of a particular line, others because they feel heritage tomatoes have superior flavor.

8. Tomato is a nightshade vegetable (from the Solanaceae family), a cousin of eggplants, peppers, and potatoes. The term "nightshade" may have been coined because some of these plants to grow in shady areas, and some flower at night. Some people think nightshade veggies are potentially harmful because they are related to the deadly nightshade, an in edible weed (also part of the Solanaceae family) that produces a toxic alkaloid called salanine. You can rest easy: Nightshade veggies are perfectly safe to eat. They do produce sola nine, but in very tiny, harmless amounts.

9. La Tomatina festival (Buņol, Valencia, Spain), held on the last Wednesday in August, attracts tens of thousands of visitors. The highlight is the tomato fight, in which 50,000-plus participants throw an estimated 125,000 kilograms of overripe tomatoes (125 metric tons) at each other.

10. Tomatoes did not arrive in Italy until the mid-1500s, where they were originally grown not to eat but for garden decoration. Pasta sauce as we know it today didn't apparently for another 300 years or so.

----------allrecipes. (allrecipes.com)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Interesting! I think I probably eat more than 86 lbs. a year.....I'm of the opinion that almost anything is better with tomato in it!
    Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

. Jo, I love to add it to grilled cheese, and my pizza is thin crust cheese and chopped tomatoes! Also good chopped into green beans and bacon bits (real), or in mixed veggies.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I love a fresh picked tomato on a grilled cheese! I've tried to grow them in a pot but with no luck. Very interesting article..

Comment

Maxi, did you plant seeds especially for growing tomatoes in a pot?
          The size of the pot will determine the size of the plant.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

We are lucky to be well supplied with fresh tomatoes from our nephew. John eats them twice a day sliced on a plate.

Give me bacon and tomato any day. I really think I mean everyday.

Comment

I have always loved tomatoes...used to like eating them right off the vine..when my Dad grew them himself.... I like to cut up fresh tomatoes in the vegetable medley I make for using on pita's like a pizza....also found I like the veg mixture over pasta or on toast. Since my protein level is low...I now slice small turkey breakfast sausages in with the veggies...as well as drinking a protein drink giving me 25 to 30 grams of protein. Have not gained any weight yet....will see if it helps.
              Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Comment

Schmitty, what veggies do you use in your mixture? Sounds like a great small meal or snack.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X