Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather in the coming week: SNOW FATIGUE, anyone? :(

Sunday's forecast:

Not one, but two more systems we're watching closely that could bring more snow and ice through the weekend into early next week.

We're sorry to be the messengers. We know snow fatigue is reaching epidemic proportions during what is approaching a record snow season in New England.

We know some are recovering from Winter Storm Octavia, a snowy, icy mess spanning more than 1,200 miles from the South to the East.

We've had six winter storms since Jan. 25 in just over three weeks. Snow may now be one of those four-letter words you shouldn't say.

Unfortunately, the relentless cold continues. Any system moving into that cold air has the potential to produce at least nuisance snow and ice.

Here's our current forecast for each of these systems, starting with an Eastern snowmaker.

System #1: Northeast Nuisance
    An arctic cold front will spread light snow into the East on Wednesday and Wednesday night.

Snow amounts through Wednesday night will generally be 3 inches or less as this cold front slices through, including a swath from the Ohio River Valley into the Appalachians, much of New York, Pennsylvania, and parts of the Mid-Atlantic States.

Possible slick commutes, due to this fresh, light snow include:

Wed. afternoon: Pittsburgh | Charleston, West Virginia
    Thu. morning: NYC | Philly | Balt. | Wash., D.C.
    Thursday, low pressure is expected to wrap-up off the New England coast, south of Nova Scotia.

If that surface low wraps up close enough to the New England coast, heavier snow could develop Thursday afternoon and Thursday night, with the greatest chance of that happening over parts of Maine.

(FORECASTS: Portland | Bangor | Eastport)

For now, we only expect mainly light to locally moderate snow (4 inches or less) over the rest of New England Thursday and Thursday night, including Boston and Hartford.

System #2: Widespread Mess
    We mentioned earlier the record-setting February cold air dumping into the East and South later this week.

The jet stream will once again send disturbances and moisture rippling over this cold air.

We're not anticipating an intense low-pressure system to spin up with blizzard conditions and two-foot-plus snow, as we saw in some areas with Winter Storm Neptune.

However, a mess of snow, sleet and freezing rain appears to be a good bet from the Rockies to parts of the South and East Friday at least into the weekend, in somewhat similar flavor as Winter Storm Octavia.

The lower three maps at right show our current forecast Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The exact lines between snow, ice, and just plain rain will likely shift a bit as we near the event and our forecast guidance comes into agreement.

Here is the general outlook:

Friday:

Mid-South/Tennessee Valley snow, sleet, freezing rain. Snow in Rockies, Front Range.
    Cities to watch: Little Rock | Memphis | Nashville
    Saturday:

Snow from Front Range of Rockies to the southern Great Lakes and into Northeast
    Sleet/freezing rain possible south of that snow swath.
    Precipitation should change to rain in most of Friday's sleet/ice area.
    Cities to watch: St. Louis | Cleveland | NYC
    Sunday:

Snow, sleet and some freezing rain may persist in the Northeast and Appalachians.
    Cities to watch: Boston | NYC
    If that wasn't enough, with the cold air reinforced this weekend, and more upper-level energy lurking over the Desert Southwest, we can't rule out additional rounds of snow, sleet and freezing rain from the southern High Plains into the Southeast early next week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

I don't have snow fatigue,,,,I have " I hate winteritis."....because snow will melt away.. but Winter is here and just stays and stays... sometimes even sneaks into Spring...
    Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Some people do have this "Snow Fatigue" and even "Ice Fatigue", especially those on the so-called Eastern Seaboard. A couple weeks ago people in Maryland were really trying to stay as warm as possible, and one city had 10 fires in just a day. Some of the homes were totally lost. Then there's my brother and his lady surrounded by the Great Lakes...very cold of course, and him with a heart condition and history of a quadruple bypass, and her arthritis feeling the weather. One week she had trouble breathing. Then she took in a sweet neighbor of hers, the neighbor's sewer system backed up. The neighbor is staying til the workmen get the problem fixed. They're actually digging up her basement and have to pour new concrete when they finish....a several thousand $ job. I can see the "fatigue" they feel from this weather.

Surely, March has to bring some springtime weather, doesn't it? The extreme cold seems to have lasted "forever". IMHO

We are wondering what kind of summer-heat extremes that we will be facing. We've had snow this winter, the autumn/winter weather sneaking in earlier than usual. Our weather keeps bumping temps in the low-80°'s a few times already, and will again for a couple days before the week is over.
      I wouldn't be surprised to see "new norms" in weather changes. I've watched the seasons come slowly earlier for the last 3-4 years. But I hate to see the extremes in weather. I hope it settles down.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

It looks bad here as we seem to be heading into another year of drouth. As much as I love sunshine, and the weather is beautiful this week, we are still desperate for rain and snow in the mountains.
        The last rain storm we had was a very warm one and melted a lot of the snow pack in the high elevations. This is the water that we depend on in summer.

Comment

Working...
        X