CHINESE NEW YEAR 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHINESE NEW YEAR 2015

Chinese New Year 2015 begins on Thursday 19 February, and ends on 5 March. It is day one month one of the Chinese lunar calendar, and its date in January or February varies from year to year (always somewhere in the period January 21 to February 20).

The Chinese lunar calendar is associated with the Chinese zodiac, which has 12 animal signs: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, Rooster, dog, and pig. Each animal represents a year in a 12-year cycle, beginning on Chinese New Year's Day. 2015 is a year of the goat.

More here: http://www.chinahighlights.com/trave...nese-new-year/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

When our daughter married her 2nd husband, we tok her family to the nicest Chinese restaurant in Phoenix. We had early reservations and were the first seated and served. We had great service and great food. Having sizzling rice soup prepared at your table is a delightful experience!
    Because of the way the Chinese calendar works, we had no idea it was Chinese New Year. It's a complicated calendar, and their New Year dates change.

Because we were the first customers of the day (and our large family had given them luck and added to their prosperity), at the end of the meal when the fortune cookies were delivered, we also received a generous amount of gifts (trinkets, not cheaply made ---- lovely key rings is what I remember most, and little toys for the children). What a remembrance of the Chinese New Year.

My brother's DIL is full-fledged Chinese, and she recently called him and explained the shoulder and should not's, the correct date and what makes it the correct date, etc. He recalls only part of it all, so I'm not sure if he plans to participate or not. But for the Chinese, it's a family deal, family all get together on this day....actually, the celebration lasts a week, which includes the weekends before and after the date, for the Chinese.
    I think I'll be asking him about it before it begins, and remind him of their traditions. Actually, our cousin is also married to a Chinese gal, and they may well be part of the celebration together.
    Last edited by JoGee; 02-07-2015, 10:45 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
    X