Beef/Bean/Tomato Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef/Bean/Tomato Stew

We brought home most of our steak from Trail Dust Town's restaurant. It was too tough to enjoy.
    So it became this:

Beef/Bean/Tomato Stew

10 oz beef steak, diced (in this case, Ribeye)
    1 can low sodium beef broth
    1-2 oz whiskey
    1 can kidney beans, rinsed
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    Basil
    1/4 cup cold water
    1 Tablespoon cornstarch (more in you want a thicker gravy)

Put the beef & broth in a pot (or slow cooker, which I used) on low heat. Pour liquor over beef, and bring it to simmer. Add kidney beans. Add tomatoes and basil to taste. (Additional salt & pepper, if that's to your taste.). Bring to simmer again. Mix cornstarch into cold water, stirring til it's dissolved.
    Pour into the pan and stir it all. Let simmer a while longer.

Bread and butter would be a good side dish with this, but I don't do that these days.
    We have broccoli slaw instead. (1 bag cole slaw, 1 bag broccoli slaw, dressing as desired.)
    Last edited by JoGee; 09-02-2014, 12:18 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Recipes sounds good....I am trying to eat red meat again...but can only tolerate a little for now.... will try this without the liquor...don't buy it.....Marianne likes a little wine now and then..but due to the meds I'm on....don't drink any of it. Sounds good...love using beans in stews....more fiber. I am trying to stop losing weight so may have bread with this dish....am now down to 119 pounds...don't like it...too many slacks and jeans are too baggy....
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Comment

The liquor was just to tenderize the meat, Schmitty. I like leaner meats, which can be a bit tough to chew, ergo...tenderizers!
      Sometimes I use some rice vinegar if its on hand. I suppose V-8, tomato juice, or any citrus juice would do the trick as well.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sounds great! Know John will go for this. Thanks, Jo.

Comment

************************************************** **************************************
          I did this again, and also added a can of Progresso French Onion soup to it. I think it's even better with it.
          I think this soup would enhance any beef dish!
          ************************************************** ***************************************
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X