Blueberry Crisp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberry Crisp

Made this yesterday, and it is awesome! The topping is out of this world.

My tweaks: I used equal parts blueberries, crushed pineapple, and frozen peaches, since this is what I had. Also, I combined my fruits beforehand, cooked and thickened them a bit, so my entire baking time was only 30 minutes.

For The Filling
    6 cups (3 pints) blueberries
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
    For The Topping
    3/4 C flour
    1/2 C rolled oats
    1/2 C chopped nuts, such as almonds
    1/2 tso baking powder
    1/2 tsp coarse salt
    6 T unsalted butter, softened
    1/3 C sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make the filling: Mix blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl. Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish. Make the topping: Stir together flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir dry ingredients into butter. Using your hands, squeeze topping pieces together into clumps.
    Sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Bake until bubbling in center and brown on top, about 1 hour. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 30 minutes before serving.

Note: Make and freeze extra batches of the topping. Whenever you have fresh fruit on hand, you'll be able to assemble the dessert quickly.
    Last edited by ladyebug; 08-28-2012, 06:46 AM.

Blueberries are a family favorite. I like your idea of adding other fruit to the mix, too.

Comment

So 6 cups of fruit total if you mix different kinds? That's a LOT of fruit for an 8 x 8 pan. Blueberries are really HIGH this year down here - $3 a pint. But I still have peaches in the freezer from last year, so may just make a peach crisp using your topping. Think I'll use pecans since I still have some.
      The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Oh this sounds yummy--and easy too. Will make it for Bim and I soon.

Comment

I make an apple and blueberry crisp, blueberries are just too expensive. Love this topping though.
          Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Pat, in reality, I probably had 4 cups of fruit altogether.

Also, as to the topping, I used 1/4 C chopped whole almonds and 1/4 C sliced. The chopped really gave it the crunch.

Comment

Working...
            X