Rosemary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosemary

My 3 little rosemary starts are doing great. I got a piece of rosemary back in the winter from one of the RN's at work and I put the rooting hormone on them and started them in cups. I'm so stinkin' proud of those little rosemary bushes. They won't be ready to start cutting and using until winter, but they are looking good.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

My rosemary took off and grew so big, i finally had it cut way back. I would never use that much, but I love the little blue flowers when it blooms. Our Baskin Robbins has a huge bush next to their parking space.

Comment

Paula, you can use the cuttings to propagate for your garden friends at Christmas time or you can make Rosemary wreaths from them. They are lovely and smell so divine. You can put them on top of your gifts for toppers, or make a garland of them to string onto the mantle or on windows. Potted up the plants look great for decorating around the kitchen or on the stairways. Go ahead and start some cuttings. You'll be the favorite gift giver of the year.
      "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Well, I posted to this but it disappeared! Wanted to know if you all grow Thyme. I'm thinking of trying some as a ground cover around some of my perennials. There are several that are hardy in my zone (5). What do ya think?
        Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

JoS, by all means you can grow thyme. I have grown it for a ground cover before and it was fabulous. I chose the lemon thyme and planted it beside the walkway and it was full and lush the 1st season. I had plenty to make small wreaths with and I used it in cooking. The smell is so wonderful and fragrant.

I've also grown other kinds of thyme, but I love the lemon thyme best. Never enough THYME.............

Comment

Thanks! I think I will get about 3 different varieties and use them in different places. That way I'm sure to have some I love!
            Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

I love rowing my own herbs because most of them taste better than dried, except for Oregano which I rarely use fresh. Sometimes I do add it to a Greek salad.

I was going to make a start of Rosemary when I began my move here only to find a huge bush of it outside my apartment so I didn't need it after all.

I have Thyme, chives, parsley, and sage to plant in the pots that Kare filled for me a couple of days ago.

We're on water conservation here so I will be watering with dish rinsing water.

Comment

Hey Barb, I'm so glad to hear that others recycle their rinse water from the kitchen sink. I once knew a lady who removed the elbow joint under the sink and placed a 5 gallon bucket under there to catch the water. Now that is really being conservative and I would do it except I'm afraid I couldn't get that elbow out without tearing something up. Plumbing is ultra expensive.

Comment

Oh, I am going to try lemon thyme! I really like your idea of using the herbs in wreaths. I have a big old grapevine that I make a few wreath forms at holiday time.
                  I have used rosemary to make little nosegays to hang in the daycare bathroom...Got me excited about this!

Comment

Working...
                  X