Winter Squash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Squash

I have winter squash in my garden. They will be good baked or roasted with butter or to use in a soup.

I sowed a pack of lettuce seeds yesterday. They will have plenty of time to mature and it's still wicked hot here. It was still too hot in August to sow that pack of seeds. I spruced up my raised beds, dug the soil and added nutrients before sowing my seeds.

My inspiration for planting the seed was yesterday at Kroger, seeing the pitiful display of rotting lettuce. They should not use those sprayers for the produce. IMHO it does more harm than good. I hate picking up a bag of those baby carrots and looking at all the water trapped inside.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Karlin, I have noticed that the spraying seems to do more harm then good too. When you get the produce home it will rot quickly if soaking wet. I buy regular carrots and always reach way in the back of the bin to get the dryer ones.

Comment

Love winter squash, especially butternut.
      I Agree about the sprayers over the produce. If you want to make compost you keep it wet. I don't want to eat compost.

Joy is hoping to put some late vegetables in but I don't know if she really feels up to it.

Comment

Hmmmm...never thought about the water being sprayed in groc stores, as a problem...now that I think about it. I recall wet produce was patted dry in a resturant a long time ago, where I once worked.
        I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
        Phillipians 4:13

Comment

I agree about the bagged lettuce...it used to be packaged better years ago... now it is always wet. I tend to lean toward head lettuce.... unless having a family dinner... I can have a head lettuce for some time... I always wrap it in paper towels and put it in a tight fitting plastic bag just like I do celery and it lasts for a really long time.

i love Winter squash as well.... Butternut is a favorite. When we went to the Pumpkin farm....they had loads of Butternut Squash and they were nice and large.... for 1.00 each... also picked up some other squash... Marianne and I love it.
          Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Comment

Working...
          X