A new bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new bird

Well, a new bird for this area. It was a pygmy nuthatch which I have never seen in this area before. They usually hang out around 3,000 or more and it is only 1,500 here. It was so cute flitting around in the red cedars (which aren't really cedars but a type of Cyprus). They like yellow pine and there is quite a bit of that growing here, too.

How exciting!! What a treat.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Phillipians 4:13

Comment

We had those in Alpine, Barb, but have not seen them down here in Sierra Vista. Loved watching them too.

Comment

There are two of them now. We usually have only the big ones here.

Comment

Sweet. I have a pair of Cardinals that hang out in my Gardenia Shrub. My GS is very big, about 5 1/2 ft tall at the front of our house. The Cardinals are always hanging out under the GS and they chirp and sing and entertain me. Maybe they have a nest nearby or maybe the pickin's are good for earthworms under there. I have no clue, but I've seen and heard them there many times. They are a hoot in the summer when you are watering with the water hose and they are getting a shower at the same time.
          "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Living on the west coast, I have never seen a real Cardinal.

My GS who lives in Virginia sends me calendars with Cardinals.

I think our winter is creeping in too fast as I'm starting to see robins that winter here.

Comment

Yesterday, I saw a Mockingbird and another this morning, or maybe the same one in a different area. We get them regularly but very few. Sadly ours don't sing.
              Once while visiting my friend in Oakland I heard beautiful bird music and when I went to the deck and looked out there was a mockingbird singing it's little heart out. Wonder why ours don't sing.

Comment

When we lived in Phoenix, there was a mockingbird in one of our front trees. Our male cat must have gotten too close to its nest, because that bird would dive-bomb and chase him if he was anywhere within 10 ft of that tree. The bird didn't bother our female cat at all.

I have 4 new trees out back, plus the new one in front. Am hoping they will grow quickly so the birds will come around again.
                I am looking for places to squeeze in another tree or two, and maybe shrubs as well.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Very very seldom see a Cardnal around here, but we had a lot in Tucson (must be the altitude).. Have lots in Hawaii in Hana. They do love their sunflower seeds.

Comment

My fav bird is the Eastern Bluebird. They are lovely and the prettiest blue. It's fun to see a bunch of them together. I used to feed the birds all the time and the squirrels always tore up the bird feeders. After a few replacements I just gave up. Now I grow Sunflowers. A very good friend in Knoxville set me straight on the way to prevent squirrels from eating your bird seed. Safflower Seeds. You can buy them at garden centers, but they are pricey. The squirrels will leave them alone, but you may get some ducks instead. It really works.
                    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Working...
                    X