My Dyson Vac....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dyson Vac....

I am going to hate this thing before I'm done with it. I have had it several months. Today for the first time I engaged it's long hose and nozzle. Decided to just move furniture rather than fight with it. I tried sticking the hose back into the handle, and it's not cooperating. The manual is mostly picture-speak. I can't find what I did wrong, and the manual shows a button that doesn't seem to exist. So will let E deal with it for me. The more I look at it, I'm thinking how did the top hook for the cord to wind on get where it it? But I can't make heads or tails of what needs to be done. This really sucks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Dyson's have always looked like you need a degree in vacuumology to use one, hence I avoid them.

Quite happy with my Electrolux floor model, I'm not sure that upright (like Hoover) models are any good either. I have a fancy shmancy rigid hose piece that allows me to vacuum under furniture easily which is a bit helpful.

However...no matter how you cut it I still hate vacuuming, it amounts to housework and I hate anything involving WORK.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Use to have an Electrolux myself...best damn vaccume I ever owned...it died many moons ago..Currently do not have carpet..allergies..but I do have a cheap upright that I get out occasionally. Mostly I sweep or dust mop. My b.mtn dog sheds terribly. She shouldn't be in the house, but hubby insists.
      I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
      Phillipians 4:13

Comment

One thing i hate about the Dyson is that it is a very heavy machine. To me, anyway, because ofbmy hands. I didn't expect it to be.
        Ellis said (and he's got 2 Masters Degrees) that the manual was very little help, and he thought it was written for another model of their machine. It took him half an hour to figure why I couldn't put that thing back together, plus something got stuck when I pulled it out. And he needed a screwdriver to unstick it.

I have an area rug in the LR, and only our bedroom has carpet. Oh I wish I had mt old Kirby or Electrolux! (My Kirby I was able to disassemble myself for maintenance...,plus they quit making gaskets for it, so I made my own. So the parts sakes guy tried to sell me another model that would last a lifetime. I said they made thevsame promise about the model I had! No thanks. A janitor gave me a sheet of black stuff, which I would cut down for perfect gaskets, til I used it up.)

Oh well. I am stuck with that Dyson now. Too expensive to cast off. And probably not better than the regular vacs.
        Our area carpet has a short nap, but I have to vacuum with the nap and not against it. If I try to switch directions, I can barely push it...or simply cant push it. Whoever heard of that?
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have three vacuums. Two quite old-the canister Electrolux and the upright Hoover. And just recently got an Electrolux that runs on a battery for light jobs. Love them all for what they do.

Comment

JoGee, I highly recommend the Riccar vacuum. They are sold all over the USA, they are easy to use, they are quality built, they last for years, they perform better than any vacuum I've ever owned, and they are affordale. They also take trade-ins. Can you take back the Dyson vac? I would and then I'd buy a Riccar. The Riccar has the Hepa filters and all the attachments. It is an upright. They also have a model called SupraLite and it is less than 9 lbs and it works like a horse. I've had mine for over 6 years and they are both running strong.
            "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

I have a Dyson and it's the pet model. It really does pick up the pet hair. It works well for that, but I haven't messed with any of the attachments so don't know if there is a problem there. Now I'm curious, so will have to go look. I have a Hoover also and it's an oldie but a goodie.

Comment

have at least 4 sweepers in this house.... the two older ones are bagged vacuums that I use only on the outside indoor/ourdoor carpet... they got to leaking dust... and were heavy
                bought a Bissell bagless that works wonderful on low carpet.. like berber... but was so difficult to pull, push on heavy l.room carpet... the cannister and all the filters are washable... I do like it even has a niffty attachment that has a miniature sweeper head....

but to relieve the work of pushing and pulling , I bought the Hoover self-propelled.. does use bags, either paper of hepa filter ones.. once I got on to the action of making the handle doing the frontward ,backward work.. I am delighted with it.... it also has the same little attachment, which, with one long tube , I can get down.and under beds ,furniture once in a blue blue moon.. and it is fairly light weight... so I have ended up with an easy sweeper downstairs and one upstairs.. ...

one of the old sweepers has a long hose.. i mean longgggg... to use cleaning steps.... it a joke... a hose that long has NO suction left..
                Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Personally I put my dyson downstairs to use once in a while...I bought a nimble and I love it. I would never buy a dyson again...I paid so much for it and it was the hardest vacuum to push around and figure out. Good luck with it. I had a bissel and I loved it but with 2 dogs and a cat, I didn't like smelling the bags so I went bagless. I think everyone has certain things they like with their cleaners and things they dislike. I have never had a perfect one....that would be one that just did the work on its own...LOL
                  "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison

Comment

I think the one I liked best was the "old" Kirby - before they "improved" it. It had attachments where I could shampoo the carpet and furniture. Their improvements meant they took parts OUT of it. The sales guy at the parts store tried to get me to trade for a newer model, and I wouldn't. I told him they promised my machine would "last forever", too. He can't make that promise on the old AND new machines, especially when they can't provide parts. (Which is why I made my own gaskets.)

There was another woman in the place waiting for her new machine after it's service, and she said she was surprised to hear anyone stand up to a salesman. He talked her into switching machines, and she loved the old model much better.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

We have two, a Bissel Powerforce and a Kenmore canister. The Kenmore cleans very well but is very, very heavy, turns turtle all the time, and the bags are hideously expensive. We rarely use it.
                      The Bissel cleans well but has to have the filters washed, dried, or replaced occasionally. Since we have only one area rug in the living room because the floors are laminate we don't have to do a lot of vacuuming.

All that said, I'm with Cynders. Housework is a necessary evil.

Comment

I gave my kirby to my daughter because it was too heavy for me...she is still using it. I am not sure if she kept all of the parts or not...they should last a lifetime with what they cost.
                        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...
                        X