Butterflies are Dying due to the drought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterflies are Dying due to the drought

On our local news last night, they said the butterflies are dying because there are not flowers for them to get nectar.

People are encouraged to put peaches, apricots and mangos out for them as they have more nutrients than flowers and at this point, the butterflies are in desperate need. I don't know if the fruit needs to be cut open?

Very sad!

Yes, the fruits need to be cut and sliced. Add oranges to that list.

At the Butterfly Gardens there are dishes or trays with sliced fruits arranged on them, as well as floral plants, and a mister. So I would add water to the plate, with the fruit slices to keep it moist, and put it in a partly shaded or lightly shaded area.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Thanks Jo. I just read on a butterfly site that grapes and cantalope are good too. Great suggestion to add water to the plate. Thanks!

Comment

A lot of my flowers are coming to an end, but I always plant containers for the hummingbirds, bees and butterflys.. Here are some of my photos...I was just out a few minutes ago and the yellow swallowtail was too fast for me....maybe I can get a picture of it next time it visits...

Here is a Painted Lady...

Monarch

Black swallowtail
        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison

Comment

Red Admiral

Clearwing Hummingbird Moth

Comment

Viceroy

Cabbage white

Sachem

Comment

Oh Sherry, you have such beautiful flowers. I have a few in pots and keep them watered but just haven't seen butterflies around.
              I did put out an over ripe cantalope and hope they find it. The idea of butterflies dying just breaks my heart.

They have also warned about bees and said they are eating their own honey just to survive.

Comment

Sherry, I love the photo of the hummingbird moth. One of my favorite insects. They're so cool to watch. The first time I saw one, I was a relatively new gardener. I called it my humming bee. I had no idea what it was. I described it to a friend who was studying to become a master gardener and she gave me the scoop. I haven't seen a single humming bee since we moved from PA to WI.

Comment

Lovely pictures. I have never seen a black swallow tail before. Guess they don.t live around here. Butterflies are very scarce here this year. We don't dare put fruit out for them because of the wasps and ants.

Comment

Lovely pics Sherry. Love those butterflies.
                    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Most of the butterflies I see around here this year are the small ones. Very few of the larger ones.
                      "If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there would be a shortage of sand."
                      Milton Friedman, economist:

Comment

Thanks for this info...they hadn't crossed my mind. Will take care of that today.
                        I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
                        Phillipians 4:13

Comment

Perhaps we should consider planting the flowers and shrubs that feed the butterflies.
                          I can't leave liquid foods out for them, as the weather gets so hot, even in the shade the feeders get too hot for the critters.

I have only seen the smaller plain white and yellow butterflies this year, and not very many of them.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Thank you....I have been having fun trying to take their photos....some are so fast and you get ready to click and their gone. The hummingbird moth has been here a lot...they love the butterfly bush. I have it on the east side next to the house.

I would have too may yellow jackets, etc. if I put out fruit , I had to quit feeding the orioles jelly because of them. My husband is allergic to bee venom so no need to get any more bees, etc than I get from my flowers...

Comment

Your pictures are really beautiful, Sherry, thanks for posting them.

Comment

Working...
                              X