Eggplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggplant

My eggplant has survived. To you that means nothing, but to me it's amazing. My friend at work started that plant from seed & brought it to me along with some cucumber plants. I found out later that the cuke plants had been damaged a little by some renovation/construction work that she had done on her house.

I brought them all home and they struggled for awhile and I moved that Eggplant 3 different times to try and get it somewhere it could grow, get enough sun, and be happy. The cukes gave me 2 cukes before they went kaput. The poor Eggplant grew very slowly and I really didn't think it would survive at all. Today I looked at it and it has blooms on it. It's final resting place is in one of my raised beds and it gets good sun and I don't water it much. They like it hot and dry. Yes, I may have some eggplant to make Eggplant Parmesan. We'll see. Next year I'll sow my seeds in the raised bed.
    Last edited by karlinann; 07-30-2012, 06:21 AM. Reason: errors
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Karli, last time I planted eggplants, I had a lot of trouble and the eventually gave up the ghost without us getting a single eggplant.
    Joy brought home some Oriental eggplants from the Farmer's market. They're only about 6-inches long and as big around as my thumb. I have a recipe for a Japanese relish that I'm going to try with them.

I wouldn't plant the seeds directly in the ground but start them before I planted them.

Comment

I grew eggplant in a container one year. Man, it was a prolific producer!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Glad I never tried to grow any. Don't like eggplant. Mother used to stuff it like peppers and it was good. Of course, everything she made was good. LOL

Happy for you karlin. You deserve to have eggplant after all that effort.

Comment

Love eggplant....but have never grown it...do not have vegetable gardens anymore. Daughters used to have them in years gone by. Monica and Hannah have a garden every year... and I always get samples of everything. Zucchini this year has already been plentiful.... love it too. My son Matt and wife Shirley have a wonderful garden this year... he wanted to plant cucumbes and has already pickled couple of batches... I have received some of the hot peppers from his garden... love hot peppers...hotter the better...
          Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Comment

Working...
          X