I try to be organic in the yard....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I try to be organic in the yard....

I tried a recipe for battling weeds in the yard...I can see it working but I sure missed a lot of them. I guess I need to spray them in a pattern or something better than what I did....I noticed it worked better on some weeds than others.

1 gallon white vinegar
    1 cup of table salt
    1 Tablespoon of liquid dish soap

This will kill grass too so be careful if you use it on weeds in the lawn. (if you want to use it in flower beds, then brush it on because it will kill your plants if it runs off) I did use it in the lawn but where all of the weeds are, the grass is pretty brown already.....it is green around my flower gardens because I water them daily.

I did this in a sunny area so I can't give you any results for shady areas...I know vinegar works better with the sun when I used to use it alone in the driveway between cracks.

I got this recipe from our organic lawn keepers that come and take care of it....we used to put corn glutten on ourselves but we let them do it now...they have a mixture of corn gluten and some other organic things...

Does anyone have any other organic weed killer recipes to share with us?
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison

Sherry wrote this recipe down... I don't have a very big flower bed. but weeds are persistent...I did cover the ground with peat moss. which helps.. but good old white vinegar , dawn and salt.. what wonderful ,useful trio.!.
    Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Great tip Sherry. I knew that salt kills weeds, but I didn't know about mixing the vinegar with it.
      "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Thanks Sherry, that is a great tip. I will try it since our weeds are growing and growing.

Comment

I noticed they browned in the center and so far nothing else is happening. I am not sure if it kills the center down or if I didn't put enough on them. I didn't put it all on the outside leaves on the ones in the grass because I didn't want our grass killed too bad. So give me a few days or a week and see the next step or if they keep on dying.

I do know for a fact that the ones in stones, etc. when you use straight vinegar and you have full sun will die and maybe it is true because you are not trying to be careful on not killing grass. Sorry for the delay on killing your weeds but I don't want you wasting your time on weeds in the grass.

Comment

Sherry, I didn't know about the vinegar so I can try that on some of our weeds. We have a very invasive vine type of weed that we just cannot kill.

Comment

Everything looks dryer and dark today so with the extreme temps the weeds are dying. YEAH!

Comment

I checked on the weeds today and some of them seem to be turning green (starting to grow) in the middle...seems weird when all of the rest of it is dark and dried up...But don't waste your time because it only works on some weeds. I asked the Organic place that recommended it to me but I haven't gotten a reply yet...I sure don't want to have to spray them 3 times unless I know for sure it will kill them.

Comment

That is strange. Maybe the mixture has to soak down to the roots?

Thanks for letting us know - please keep us posted.

Comment

Thanks for the info...I have a lot of weeds and grass growing up in sidewalk.
                    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
                    Phillipians 4:13

Comment

The organic place said there was a better recipe but said it wasn't out yet....why she couldn't share it early beats me...well, maybe it will put them out of business if it is too good. ...so I will let everyone know what it is when I find out.

Comment

Sherry, not giving you the recipe now seems odd to me. Hopefully it will be available soon. Why is it weeds will grow no matter how dry it is?!

Comment

Working...
                        X