Friday, December 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday, December 20

Good morning Rounders! Well, I did go thrift shopping and I did find 5 items. Hurray! One of the items was a spool of that mesh ribbon that is very wide and it is red, green and white stripes with all kinds of sparkle threads running through it. Beautiful! I only paid a dollar and I made a big bow for the tree topper. It looks so good! I know those spools of mesh ribbon are very expensive when you buy them new. They usually make wreaths with them by puffing them through the wire wreath forms. I know you've seen those before and they are always so pretty. I actually have a wire wreath form and will see if I have enough to do the whole thing.

I moved the Palm tree at the corner of our house yesterday. I was going to wait, but I really wanted to get that task done while the weather is nice. It took a good while to dig that thing up. The root ball was about a foot and a half in the ground and it had some strong side roots, but I finally got it out. I put it in a big pot on the patio. I will be able to use it to shade out there when that intense summer heat is shining and I can move it around if I need to. Win win!

I filled in the big hole that it left and raked it down smooth and planted flower seeds. Purple coneflowers and Zinnia's. I then spread the coffee grinds that DH got for me yesterday and watered everything in good. I think the Cones will do fine and maybe we will get some Zinnia's as well. They were extra seeds and I have plenty for next season. It looks really different both out front and on the patio. That Palm gave my patio instant gratification. It is now a focal point instead of the chairs being the main event.

I fixed my bobbin and got the sewing machine working yesterday morning. I made 3 big cushion covers with the Waverly fabric for our sofa. The sofa looks totally amazing now and I have enough fabric left to make some pillow covers. I took the wicker coffee table to the bedroom and put the big coffee table turned bench in the living room. It looks better with the sofa cushions and has more space on top for my Christmas displays of little gift boxes tied up with pretty ribbon and my Christmas cards splayed out in a pattern.

I am just delighted that my sewing machine works. I will be making some things. They had yards of fabric on sale yesterday at the thrift shop, but I didn't want to spend too much time in that section so I will go back after the holidays.

Tonight after dinner we are going "Christmas Looking" in our community to see the lights.

Who knows what I'll be doing today besides trying to make that wreath. I need a festive wreath to hang over the big window at the front of the house.

Peace & Plenty. Hi Aunt Maye! Miss you fiercely. Only 5 more days til Christmas!
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good morning..waiting on my dad

Comment

Morning!! Only two days until our Christmas. Tomorrow we travel to my sisters for family Christmas then all the kids will come back here for our Christmas Eve. Lots to do today and by some miracle I managed to get a haircut. I am so overdue for one and look terrible. Thank goodness Jon will be here to carry on in the kitchen. He can do everything but candy the sweet potatoes. We can get most of the precooking done today and hopefully the kids will settle in tomorrow night and play card so I can piddle around. Jon finally finished his shopping yesterday and brought in the final stocking stuffers so that is done. We grocery shopped yesterday and now I am ready.

Temps warmed into the 30s yesterday and with the sun we are seeing some melting. You will never believe that my boys went out and shoveled the patio yesterday, made a fire in the pit and roasted marshmallows. They are dedicated fire makers but they did have the torch out so not sure if that counts for skill.

Karlinann I wanted a palm tree for the porch last year and they are very expensive around here. I should have gone after the season and looked but who thinks about it then,,,not me! I have always wanted to know how to make a big decorative bow. I know exactly the wreaths you are talking about..you see them displayed in the craft stores around here. And boy do you see some things in some of these craft stores where some displayers need a lesson in bow making. Wish I had half the energy you do...maybe I should work on that in the new year? Or maybe I should just rest up and conserve my energy for summer vacation. We are doing the beach but do not know where yet. Hot sun, hot sand...I am a summer person.

Need to stop dreaming of summer and get ready for Christmas around here. Have half a headache and am fighting this sinus stuff. Have no time for it until Monday. Jon goes back to work and I will be alone with the mess but that is ok. Have all next year to clean it up. Donna are you coming out from under that pile of cookies yet? Maye we do miss you. Last day of school today. Christmas is coming! Have a great day!

Comment

Hey, I fixed the doorbell. It was the batteries. I got out my stepstool and told DH I was going to try to pry off the front of the box and do it while he was home. My knee has been hurting bad with this cold, but I want to get things done. That noise was still going on this morning and it sounded just like when they do an ultrasound of a baby, the heartbeat. I'm not kidding. It was driving me crazy.

So I climbed up there and pried off the front of the box and lo and behold it had batteries in it. It was written on the inside of the front the last date that the batteries were changed. Are you ready for this? 2006. Yep, that is what it said, but I think it was changed after that, but the batteries were not corroded, just old. It works great!

I will send the youtube video if you want to learn to make a bow Maxie. It's easy. Let me know please. She shows you how to do the wreath and then the bow. She uses a bow maker. I used to have one. It's almost easier for me to hold it in my hands and make it.
        "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

• Paula A
          Paula A commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree: hold in your hands is easier especially if you have your wire to secure as you go.

Well, except for the one year olds wanting everything the other has it is a good morning!

Comment

I have watched the videos and had a florist friend show me how. My bows never turn out worth using. Been dusting and cleaning bedrooms all morning. Went to change out my bath and body wall smellies and cannot find the balsam scent I bought. I ordered them on line months ago to make sure I had them and cannot find them anywhere. Had to put in my cinnamon smellies. Guess they will show up around Easter when I want the house to smell like a flower. But where would I have put them?

Just heard Andrew has early dismissal and I should have known that even though it isn't on my calendar...school called this morning with a reminder. Might have helped timing around here if we had known last night cuz I will getting my hair cut and Jon is out and about and better be home. But I admit it is my fault for not having it marked.

Well my coffee break is over and back to stirring up the dust bunnies. Had to find a place for all the stuff you throw into empty bedrooms. Explains why closets are never empty!

Comment

Well, someone who had said they would be staying home for Christmas dinner just called and asked if the invitation was still open.
            So now I feel a lot more like some of you with a bigger bunch to feed and Clean for!
            Suddenly not knowing where the Christmas smellies
            are is a monkey in my wrench, as one of my kids used to say.
            Need to get the leaf for the table out and find one extra chair. My Type A daughter has a hard time thinking it will be ok, but I grew up with big gatherings ( especially when it was Our family that created the need for more chairs!) and one unmatched chair (aka piano bench ) was ok. In my mind I am borrowing one from my mom.

Comment

• maxie
              maxie commented
              Editing a comment
              I remember on year I did Thanksgiving early because Jon was working...everyone has plans for Thanksgiving Day so I thought it would just be us but suddenly everyone wanted to be together for my early dinner. We had people sitting on the fireplace and on the floor but it turned out to be one of our best with attendance and no one cared where they sat. Leftovers are a big deal at our house so we always have plenty of food. Since then we do holidays whenever. The good thing is Jon and one of my nephews have the same weekend schedules and most others are off. The more the merrier make a great holiday and no one cares how fancy it is...especially my family. You will make out fine...
          Working...
          X