Friday, August 30th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday, August 30th

Good morning Rounders! The NGA site I joined has been very educational for me. I have learned so much about the botanical world and I'm astounded by the information that some of the members possess. They can recognize plant specimens just by looking at a pic sent in by another member, and most of the time they give the Latin name as well as the common name. Whoa! I know I'm too old to learn all of them, but I am trying to memorize one a day.

On the forum they have a Hurricane thread going about Dorian and one of the Texas members said that when they know a hurricane is imminent all the people in her community get their grills out and grill up a bunch of food that would otherwise go to waste. She also gave me an idea about water storage for bathing in case our house is struck. I will run some water in the one and only bathtub that we have to use for bathing just in case something happens to the watermain.

As I posted late yesterday, dh & I will bring all the things in from the patio and the trash cans. I would rather just get it done today. Our weather forecast calls for rain for 7 days.

I will try to get the grass mowed today, but really it's not a priority.

The dinner menu is: Grilled Salmon, corn on the cob, coleslaw, potato salad, and strawberry jello.

Peace & Plenty.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Morning..I am up early but haven't heard any hurricane updates yet. Someone posted on face book about filling the wash machine with ice and drinks..I dunno if it was a joke or not but I guess anything is possible in an emergency. Your lunch sounds delish.

I have to leave here before 7:00 this morning for my mammo then back home to put my salad for tomorrow together before heading out to meet a friend for lunch. I am looking forward to lunch since I have not seen this friend for a long time. We text and I see her on face book but it just isn't the same.

Tomorrow we are heading to my sister's for a Labor Day BBQ. Seems most everyone is working on Labor Day. Both my boys will be there and even Sierra is joining us...if they are still alive. They both have a cold and it is a competition to see who is the sickest. Babies! Sierra likes attention when sick and evidently so does he. Guess they will work it out and live through it because I am not nursing either of them. Life is hard when you have to grow up.

Rain later today with temps in the 80s. Hope I get home before it starts. Hate driving the interstate in the rain. People are so nuts.

Karlinann I am thinking about you and your preparations. Seems this storm just gets bigger...stay safe!

Comment

Morning...I went to dinner with friends last night at a bbq resteraunt. It was delicious but a bit pricey. Work yesterday wasn’t bad..My station started really slow. I figured it would stay that way with what they served. Shrimp and grits and collared greens.

I may or may not be meeting with lady that helps me tonight. I told it was ok if don’t meet. I just really want to get home and put jammies on and stay that way until Sunday morning unless I decide to go to the movies.

Comment

Good morning all.

Today will be considered a restful day. No playing in dirt!!!! But will be helping my SIL with her antique unit today.

We are taking my car because it needs the cabon blew out of it. Haven't been on the highway with it since I moved here. Also her Yukon needs new shoes. Never saw a tire get weather cracks between the tread before. AND the are Michelins, but don't think Michelins are going back on it. Besides she can save $300. by putting on Mastercraft. Her tires only has less than 20,000 miles, but it does have to sit out. She also has a 2013 Cadillac in the garage with only 10,000 miles.

We are going to try and get her 2 car garage cleaned out this fall so both vehickles can be put in the garage. She and my brother came back here in 2006, and some of the garage boxes that I packed in Florida have not been unpacked. So now you knhow my fall job.

Time to get a bite to eat and get ready for the day. Everyone have a wonderful day.

Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Wow! Jostoy: that Cadillac of your sister's! Only 10,000 miles? That has always been my dream car...

Finally Friday as the country song goes and it will be a nice one. Three kids will not be here and two wear diapers so that makes my day easier. I take the mini breaks as I find them!

Karlinann, would you post the link to the garden site again? I did not figure out how to sign up so you would get points...
          JoGee, I see those python stories all the time about FL and thank Heaven, my brother has not seen any where he has lived. So I will stay away from puddles and ponds when I visit and hopefully not see an alligator close up.
          I did not know how classified his job was until after he retired and he told me he had to sign so many papers saying he would not reveal the work he did and would still be quiet about it...he said after trips they were always questioned about anyone talking to them they did not know or encounters with strangers! And I thought the Cold War was over...!

He also texted me a photo of their Walmart yesterday when they went shopping. soup aisle was empty! Water and soda of course was empty! I posted the one picture on Pat's page in response to something she said about shopping before a hurricane at Walmart.
          Karlinann, your preparations sound good and the information from the Texas folks is really handy. people hwo have gone through these disasters are the best source of advice.

I have bedding in the washer right now and then will get all the pool towels and daycare towels and washcloths. boy, do we go through wash cloths!

We don't have much planned for this weekend. the baby shower is my main item. I am still n ot sure if I want to buy cupcakes or a cake. Any ideas from you all will be appreciated. I am not going to Costco for the cake as I had thought; just not sure about timing. They do have delicious cakes, though. See? I am just not into this, I guess.
          'Becky will not be going to it; she said she has to read two books before her next classes. One by Tuesday and one by Wednesday. I will be having a quiet weekend! Instead of one of those signs: Sh! Baby is sleeping, I need one that says, Shh! Student is studying!

I hope you all are enjoying your day and doing what you need to! With a smile!

Comment

Good morning.
            Its me, the slowpoke.
            Its a nice, sunny day today.
            I thought I was over my sick days this week, but something is going on. My stomach doesn’t feel right.
            Well I have a consultation with a doctor in 2 weeks. Seems like a long wait ahead when you aren’t feeling up to snuff.
            I will just deal with today, stay comfy, and hope for the best.
            I hope I feel well enough to go to the crochet group at noon.
            Sorry I’m not sounding happier today. I guess I’m a bit worried about the possibility of the cancer returning.

hope you are having a good day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

https://garden.org/users/join/slowcala/

Here is the link to become a member of the National Gardening Association. After you become a member you need to log in at least once in order for me to get the acorns. Paula, I have posted a bunch of events and I get plenty of acorns that way and I am good on acorns, but if you want to become a member it is a good site for getting questions answered about your garden and plants. The members are awesome and answer hundreds of questions per day. So if you do decide to join I think you will love it. I know I am enjoying it. Thanking you in advance.

JoGee hope you are okay.
              "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Good Afternoon! It's beautiful day out there. Very much a Fall feeling day.

Yesterday was a wee bit overwhelming and exhausting. Sue popped in with the strawberries she got for me for $.50/lb....32 lbs. They needed immediate attention before they started getting fuzzy & rotting. I took a break at noon and ran into town to grocery shop. I haven't been true grocery shopping in weeks. My food bill attested to that fact. Picked up a Lil Caesar's pizza before heading home. That was going to be Blaise & my supper. Cork was on his own.

Last Sunday evening Aunt Maye's middle son Mike surprised them. They celebrated Uncle D's birthday this week, and Mike was able to be here. He drove from Colorado to PA alone. He's been here all week & is staying another week before heading home....no Pam. Anyways, he popped over yesterday bringing the lard balls Aunt J had scooped for me, and I sent him back with 100lbs of lard and a pie. We had a nice visit, though too short. I'm going to try to get there some evening next week.

By 1130pm I threw up my hands and just quit. I was exhausted and just wanted to go to bed. I think Monday I'm going to sleep in until 730am....maybe even 8am. Watch I wake up at 630am.

I had Cork call me at 6am today to get me up. I had 50 pies for the farmers market to have baked, plus 30 some for the stand tomorrow. I wanted the 50 pies baked & cooled so that Sue could help be package them up. Sue ended up going for her Echo-cardiogram yesterday, and the Cardiologist that was in there while the test was being done. He gave her the results right then & there. She has issues, but said she cleared to go on vacation and resume normal activities, which means making & rolling pie dough for me!!!! She's the Master of dough rolling.

I still have some pies to bake for tomorrow, but I'll get them done this afternoon. Then it's onto making & baking Xander's BD cakes for tomorrow's party.

((JoG)) take care of yourself. I feel so much better with you being close to your kids.
                Jostoy....good to see you! I say everything that wasn't unpacked isn't needed.....says the person with many unpacked boxes. 90% of them are my husband's. My unpacked boxes are mostly keepsakes.
                I don't know if I'd have to stock up for a hurricane or snow storm. I'm pretty well stocked already.

Have a good one all! Oh, my house is beginning to smell wonderful with the apple pies baking.

Comment

Working...
                X