Wednesday, August 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wednesday, August 28

Good morning Rounders! We did not get rain yesterday, but it thundered quite a bit. I went out yesterday morning and mulched around my Bell Pepper plants and my one surviving tomato. I watered them in good just in case it didn't rain and now I'm glad I did. I'm not giving up without a fight!

Today is trash day and grocery day. DH is in charge of getting the trash out and I'm going to Aldi's. I have not been shopping in 2 weeks, but I'm excited to see what they have to offer. I will look online before I go, plus I've made a list.

I made a good dinner last evening; Meatloaf, green beans, and baked Red Potatoes. Yum eee!

While I was out in the garden yesterday I reset some of my stepping stones, but they are still not good enough. They need to be level so that when I step on them I don't get imbalanced. I'll keep working on it when the weather cools down.

That ground mole has dug quite a tunnel through my yard and I'm mad. When it cools off I'm going to catch him/her, put them in a box and take them to a new address. I'm tired of watering my garden and the sand just caving in. Those tunnels are pretty deep in places. For all I know he/she has condos built in there! Anyway, I'm over it!

Maxie, I do not know if that Tropical storm will affect us, but we will probably get rain from it. We could sure use some more.

I just learned yesterday about the importance of establishing wildflower meadows for the beneficial insects who pollinate our crops. They have been bringing them back slowly, (it takes at least 7 years to establish one) all over the world, but every effort is needed to get that biodiversity reestablished. Over 97% of the wildflowers and meadows disappeared after World War II when a frenzy of planting food crops began so the people would have food to eat. Over 300 insects and other wildlife can exist on a single field or meadow.

I have decided to start a wildflower garden, but mine will only be 3 square feet. I have a perfect place on the bank. I'll wait for cooler weather to start it, but autumn is the time to get it sown. The seeds have to have a cold period in order to germinate.

Okay, that's enough garden talk for one day. Take care.
    Peace & Plenty. Hi Aunt Maye. Waving!!!!
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good morning...feeling grumpy woke with a head ache so I am just checking in.

Maxie your cardinals are in first by 3 games. We cubbies will catch you!

Comment

Morning...the sun is shining so bright! Going to be a good day. Need groceries again today. Guess this my back to school list....things you just need to have when you cook every night...like tomato soup for our soup and sandwich night. I have to put a slaw together for Saturday and it needs to be prepared Friday and I will be busy the rest of this week so need to buy the ingredients today.

Last night Andrew brought in science homework. Yuck! I sneaked out to cook pancakes and next thing Jon is grabbing the batter telling me to help Drew. Rats! He did it himself and just needed to think it out. I don't know what we will do about any math this year with Sierra gone. I was talking with her last night and she said she and Drew could face chat for her to help. Didn't know you could do that but ok!! When Sierra was in high school we would text my nephew and he would work the problem and send it back and then they would call and talk it through. Looks like we are going to do a little play it forward..and pray for no homework!

Tomorrow I need a pedi and Friday have a mammo and then meeting a friend for lunch. Suppose to be nice weather for a few days. Jon emptied a few of the flower pots last night and hopefully we can do some yard work Sunday. If Andrew goes to my sisters with us Saturday we will stop off at the big mall and look for the hoodie he wants. We looked on line last night but he did not see it. You do know that this means it will cost an arm and a leg? But you want them to look good and happy when they go march off to the school bus. I ask him what he thought of jr. high and all he said was you get more food in the cafeteria!

Need to start the day..I have discovered if you get moving earlier you get more done. Strange how that happens. Must be some new scientific thing ya think? Cardinals play an afternoon game. Last night I went to bed around 7:30 to watch the game and woke in the 9th inning. Missed the entire game with a long nap. Karlinann my sister made a wild garden around her pool in the old house. Something was always blooming and she had different plants around. She even dug some weed from the side of a country road that we all recognized as a weed but somehow it looked nice in and amount the other plants. Always a butterfly and bees flitting. Right now my hostas are blooming and they are so ugly with those high spikes and big white flowers but the bees are happy. The new tall phlox has bloomed steady and my hydrangea has gotten a new breath of air. I have to wait for Spring to replace the golden spirea. It was to hot this summer and I wanted to wait until fall but now it will be spring. Grass needs cut constantly with all the rain.

Have a wonderful day everyone. Beth those Cardinals just keep on winning...and hockey season coming soon. Life is good !

Comment

• Paula A
        Paula A commented
        Editing a comment
        lol what Andrew said about more food!
        When one of my kids had a science problem we had to call my brother in FL one time. The next day he went into class and said, It did take a rocket scientist!

good morning and it really is a good one!
      the jury duty got cancelled because the trial got cancelled! yay! the daycare moms are all happy and that makes my life so much easier.
      there was a point yesterday when more than one child was crying or upset and I thought, I hope I do get a day off, but when I finally got through to the call center for the court and heard I was in a group of trials that were cancelled I was happy! I just did not want a return of the last time when I was drawn and then sat and queationed and then finally excused, not because I knew anyone but because the Defense side did not like my stand on an issue...oh, well, it all works out.

Trash day here and the trucks still haven't been by so I got another bag out to the can.
      I like the new schedule for Becky and have decided to do more cleaning in the early morning and this is Day 2 and it is working out.
      Her new schedule is going to take some time to adjust for her. Work and grad school and driving to and from Chico are going to take some work to figure out and get into a groove...or maybe decide to move to Chico or rent a room??? j Her first class was yesterday and t he prof told them they had to have their book read (first one) by next class! I can't remember how many pages she said it was but she was in shock and going into stress mode so I just listened and did not offer any of my "mom solutions"...

I think we are going back down into the upper 90's or just low 100 range today. No rain in sight for us. will be watching out for all you guys in the path of the storms.

I posted a picture on Facebook yesterday of the six little kids at my daycare. They were all around the table and that was a first so I put it up for all the parents to see. Both babies have started walking (8 months and 10 months) and we all are on our toes watching out for them.

I better move along and see what else I can do while it is quiet and cooler. Well,upper 70's but cooler than it will be later on.
      Beth, I hope that headache goes away.
      Karlinann, we need more protected areas for wildflowers and the insects and wildlife they make safe. In the meantime, I am like my mom and let every little thing grow where it lands!
      I will check back and see what the rest of you are up to!

Comment

Hey! I'm alive, just buried up to my eyebrows in pie dough.

Sue, my right hand man, is having heart issues, and her doctor told her to lay off rolling pie dough for the rest of this week. So you know who that leaves to roll it? ME!!!! Last night I took every single rolled crust out of the refrig, and put them all into pie pans. Had everything counted and put in stacks according to day. Now I know exactly how many and what sizes I need for each day. Ended the day working on the 5 doz ears of corn Lew gave me for freezing. I'll use this corn for the homeless shelter meal our church will be doing in Oct.

Monday night I told them at karate that that was his last night. I told Blaise afterwards & he was in shock. WHY??? He thought he was in trouble. Kathy yelled at me a couple times that day, and Blaise has been grumbling about going to karate. I just was sick and tired of attitudes, so I made my life easier....no more karate. Of course I'll hear about it from Kathy, but she hasn't been taking him for his lessons when she had him, and he wasn't going to have enough hours in to test. I'm not wasting my money on something he grumbles about & that she doesn't care enough about to get him there. Kathy let me out of our contract. She kind of knew this was going to happen at some point. They are so kind there. I'll miss chatting with the other moms.

Since we had no karate last night, I actually made a pot of soup btw making pies. Blaise & I took time to sit and watch a movie together before bedtime.

This morning I shut off the alarms and get up an hour later than I wanted. Blaise wasn't late though. Today was the first day of school. Got him out the door and Theresa was there 15 minutes later. Sue came later with all the frozen fruits. She stopped at the greenhouse she use to work at, and they had fresh strawberries for $.50 a carton...their wholesale price. She sold them to Sue for that and she got me 8 cartons. Tomorrow she's going to get me 32 more cartons. I'll just freeze them.

Back to work. Have a good one all!

Comment

Good morning.....almost afternoon.
          I think I’m getting back on track. I haven’t had any symptoms today, since the sun came up.
          My DD brought me some Imodium last evening. After waking twice during the night, I haven’t had a bathroom run. Thank goodness. This week I caught myself napping in my chair...... this bug must have zapped my energy. But today, no symptoms. Yay. If any pop up, I’ve got the Imodium.

I still have soup in the fridge, so I’ll finis that before I hit the dining room this week. I haven’t much appetite anyway.

My nephew got married on the beach somewhere in Florida. He has actually grown up into a decent young man, and his bride is absolutely beautiful. My brother sent a movie clip of it.
          There was wind and rain that day, so the lady guests all had a bad hair day. But they were determined to be married on the beach.

maxie, jr high is when most boys grow to new heights. They need to eat more to get the substance to grow.
          I actually loved science in school. The teacher caught me drawing pictures in class, so called on me to answer some questions we hadn’t yet studied. He was angry that I knew all the right answers. He also challenged me on an assignment, because I didn’t need scratch paper to give the answers. So he stood next to me giving me more questions which I figured in my head in seconds....which also made him mad. Why? Because he wasn’t going to teach a girl (!) to be a physicist. That broke my heart. The work was easy and fun for me. It did include basic math. Math and science go hand in hand.

beth, I hope your headache is gone now.

Paula, if our weather doesn’t break soon, I’ll be convinced that I am living in that fiery place where no one wants to go. Someone said rain may come next week, but I heard that last week, too.
          I agree about needing a protected place for wildflowers and insects.

I hope you are all having a good day.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Wow! We have had an abundance of thunder and lightning for the past 15 minutes. I don’t hear any rainfall yet though. And it’s pitch black out there so I can’t see anything else out there. I’m just hoping for a generous downfall of rain. Cross your fingers for us. We really need some moisture. Oh....I just got a flag it will expire in 28 minutes. Mother Nature is such a tease.

Oh, I do see streaks of raindrops on the window, when the lightning flashes .
            Last edited by JoGee; 08-28-2019, 11:36 PM.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
            X