Sunday, August 25th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday, August 25th

Good morning Rounders! Yesterday was another hot day and I'm so glad I turned the irrigation system back on. We have not had rain for a week now and with those afternoon winds it has dried up everything.

My Salvia transplants seemed to be doing fine yesterday morning. They were upright and looking good. I watered them in really good and maybe now I can get some flowers for drying. I love the way they look dried and they smell divine.

I have been having the weirdest sleeping patterns ever. I sleep for 2 hours, get up for an hour, go back to bed and sleep for 3 more. Weird!

I still have so many weeds to pull out of the lawn. I probably won't ever get them all, but it is a bit of exercise each morning.

Yesterday they showed some of the Mountain Men shows on tv and I watched a couple that I had not seen. Great! There is not much on tv that I like to watch except for PBS, Discovery, Hallmark movies, History channel and National Geographic channel. I go to bed with the chickens and get up at the stroke of midnight.

Today I'm making a pot roast in the crockpot. Don't you love crockpots? You can cook a very delicious meal and not have to heat up the kitchen.

I've been checking out some diabetic recipes online and there are several that I want to try. I need to pick up some things at Aldi's this coming Wednesday.

I hope each and every one of you have a splendiferous day! Peace & Plenty.
    Peace & Plenty.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Morning! It is raining but have no idea what the weather forecast is for the day. Ballgame at 12:30 so hope they get to play it. I will iron and watch the game.

Jon is off tomorrow so we will grocery shop. I really need to plan some meals for the week. I always have a box started for Sierra and she took the last one home Thursday so need to start another. I always pick up some extras when I shop and stick them in a box....last weeks was more paper products...I have seen her dad sneak a thing or two in it too. She is not much of a cook, she never had a role model in that department!, and her bf does most of the cooking when they cook and I have thought of getting her a crock pot. I sure use the heck out of mine! She made a hamburger helper and was so proud of fixing a meal. Think I will see when they are coming back for a meal and fix a turkey breast. I know her father is ready for a good meal. Good idea about writing down recipes...so many of the things I fix are from memory. My dad had the best Spanish Rice recipe, it was a meal for us...and he never wrote it down. My sister and both brothers are wonderful cooks and cannot duplicate his rice. He used a bay leaf in his and the table joke was who got stuck with the leaf. Now that is one old family joke considering our ages.

Beth Cards are in first and guess who is in second but I guess you are so busy and tired you do not care this week. Take care and get plenty of rest.
    Karlinann we are getting plenty of rain...potted plants are ruined now anyway so doesn't matter. Every year I swear I am not going to plant pots and every year I spend a fortune doing just that. I have noticed the petunias around are still pretty so maybe I will stick to them next summer. The geraniums are alive but so ugly and leggy. Mums are in the stores now. Fall is getting close.

Have a wonderful Sunday and do only things you want to do..

Comment

Good morning.
      The weather starts warming again today. Summertime should be too tired to bother, soon. I hope. It’s so darn dry here, I’m wondering if we will get a decent rain at all.

Middle daughter should be home in a few days. She’s having a nice road trip with her boyfriend. I’m anxious to hear all about it. Funny, how they are stopping at all the places E & I have been. I wonder how much they’ve changed over the years.

Not much is going on here worth writing about. Ho-hum.

Have a beautiful Sunday. ☀️
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Good SUNNY Morning! It surely feels like Fall out there. Our newer furnace has setting for a/c & heat, and the heat will kick on automatically as does the a/c if it reaches a certain temp. The furnace kicked on this morning because we had the windows open and it was only 50 outside. BRRR!!!! We hurried up and closed the windows and shut down the furnace.

Yesterday was good. Not what most would consider a romantic anniversary day, but it was fine by us. We hit up an estate sale early before dropping off pies. They had 12 pies left from the day before, so I re-bagged them all and put on new labels with a mark so we knew which was the older pies. I then decided which pies to leave & brought home 13 with me to keep here. Sold a couple here from the house during the day, and they were taken down today along with other fresh baked pies. They sold all the pies yesterday, which was an answer to my prayers.

After delivery & dropping off the extra pies here at home, we went to several yard sales. One sale was particularly good. It was a moving sale. The guy had one of his signs in our yard...excellent signage! I shook his hand and told him what a great job he did. Most people have small, hard-to-read, rinkey dink signs that they might as well forgot putting up. Here he use to have a local print shop & knows all about signs. We got a quality used pool cleaner, a large baking stone, and he threw in the rotisserie oven for free. He was just wanting to get rid of stuff, and had good prices.

We had leftovers for dinner. I baked pies & packaged them last night. I was waiting to see how sales were before making more for today.

This morning we went to church, then home to deliver pies. Now to start cooking for Corky's lunches and dinner for cards tonight. My cousin Karen is going to be our 4th, and we haven't seen her since July 4th party. I'm making BBQ pork for sandwiches and fried cabbage & noodles. My SIL ordered 2 10" pies from me for her Mom's birthday celebration, so I'm sure we'll have the leftovers of those for dessert tonight. I made the top crusts look so pretty, but not near what you see on some of the demo videos.

Maxie...this past Christmas I ask for a laminating machine. My goal is to print & laminate 6 copies of each recipe, and create a recipe book or recipe box for each of the kids...our 2 and my brother's 3. Don't know that I'll get it done for this year, but definitely next. My SIL is going to give me some of the kids' favorites too, so our kids will be able to make things like we do or did...which ever the case may be. The 6th set will be for me, and replace my ratty looking cards.

Time to get busy! Have a good one all!

Comment

Good morning...I came home yesterday and was asleep at 8 and slept til morning basically.

we served over 1200 meals between brunch and supper.

Repeating my day yesterday today!

Comment

• Paula A
            Paula A commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! For those 1200 meals!!!

And while it is fresh on my mind: one or two of the Favorite family recipes in the handwriting of the person is such a treasure (at least for me).
          And a picture of each person featured is something that the kids will rely on in later years to remember us...
          I love family heritage cookbooks and even though people use online recipes more than a cookbook these days I think the family connection is so precious. and I don't use that word lightly!

Ok, my geraniums are looking scraggly now, too. The leaves that are falling all over are the grapevine ones that are up in the tree and I will be raking them today. Ijust didn't get out to do yard work yesterday. the funeral in the morning and I had forgotten a baptism in the late afternoon, so I did not go swimming because I already had my hair and makeup for the funeral and was not going to do that twice.
          Using the air dryer in a small bathroom just heats things up!
          There were mostly store bought sheet cakes at the funeral and I will now stop stressing over it and let go.

Spencer has taken his Japanese friends to a ballgame (Orioles) and yesterday a Ravens game...the pictures showed the little 3 year old in a Ravens jersey and so cute! Japan culture loves shirts from America so Neo will be a big iht in that Ravens shirt. He is a super cute little guy anyway...Both parents speak perfect English so we had a fun time when I met them in Hawaii...

Karlinann, my tv watching has been reduced to just a few channel, too. Hallmark is right at the top, then HGTV and one or two network shows...and most of our shows we dvr and watch when we don't have to sit through commercials. sports don't really work like that, but everything else is good for me a day late.

this should be a quiet Sunday. I always go over to my mother's or have her over and will go there today. I am so glad she is not planning any trips for awhile: her yard would be so hard to keep green in this heat and my schedule. I have to remember to tell my brothers (remind) I can take her to the airport only on weekend days...Doug in fL likes to find the cheapest flights and weekend flights are not that. But I can not take days off for her travel and neither can Becky since she got a full time job...

Ok, you can tell not much is going on here. I hope you all aer well in to a great day.
          Beth, hope your work goes well and all those who come through appreciate the food!
          Take care and stay well.
          Maye, all that crocheting should keep your mind strong! Love your idea to write down the recipes we use all the time or where to find the ones I look up...like the favorite ones I don't do often enough but do not want to lose track of.

Comment

Working...
          X