Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday 29th

Hello all.
    Our clocks went back last night, so now I suspect everyone feels weird. Cyprus's clocks went back too, but Turkey isn't changing theirs, so EVERYONE is confused over there, especially with flight times! Mum thinks they're all crazy, Turkey's doing it to be a pain. With their government, nothing surprises me.

Made a good dinner last night, red cabbage and apple salad, with griddled meatballs. Store bought meatballs but coated them with cinnamon and cumin, gave 'em some flavour. Happy Tex!

He cannot shift this dry cough that's started up since Thursday night. Waking me up at 0400 2 nights in a row because it's like a coughing fit just happens. We'll talk to the clinic on Tuesday. He must be exhausted, and I'm not far behind!

Time to make more coffee...

Good morning everyone.

​Church this morning, then I leave for my trip . Won't be around all week as "they" are keeping "our feet" hot to the ground. We leave Monday at 5:45a and still see 2 shows that day. That is the way it is the whole trip. Therefore, I won't be taking my laptop as it will be nothing but falling into bed each night. Heck, we don't check into the hotel until 5:30 Monday, and then right back onto the bus at 6:30 for another show.

​But I am looking forward to the shows as they are good ones. My sister-in-law saw 4 of the same shows in April. We will also be going to the "college of hard work" to have dinner where as L and I went for lunch.

Everyone stay out of trouble while I'm gone.

RETIREES

Question: Why are retirees so slow to clean out the basement, attic or garage?

Answer: They know that as soon as they do, one of their adult kids will want to store stuff!!!
    Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like such a fun trip!!!

Good Morning.

Cough and sore throat after surgery for most everyone. Glad you are feeding him well, Lisa.

Jo, have a wonderful trip sounds like so much fun.

Well, I've been up for hours and cooking like mad = for church. Pumpkin praline dessert and tamale casserole. Cold temps here.

Hope everyone has a very good day. We are rooting for Houston in the world series, but they had a serious loss last night. Sad face.

Hugs to All ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Comment

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      Tamale casserole sounds good! Can you share the recipe?

• sassygirl01
      sassygirl01 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did that yesterday..And cooked all morning Sat...
      I hate before and it real good...

Good morning.
    As soon as there’s a bit of light outside, I’ll bring in the paper.

The wedding yesterday was pretty nice, overall. It was way out in the boonies, so to speak, in the desert with all its cacti and other desert plants. It turned out to be an outdoor wedding, with the reception indoors. Very rustic. The guy who ministered the wedding did not appear to be a minister, but who knows. He had a bit of trouble following the “script” he was reading from. I couldn’t catch everything he said from the stage.
    We got there at the appointed time on the invitation, but by then everyone was seated in the chairs; we couldn’t go in til the whole wedding party went down the aisle. When we did get in the only “seat” was a huge log that E & I shared with some other guy. About 3-4 other people were standing on the other side of the path that constituted the aisle. I felt “overdressed” in my burnt-orange pant suit; nearly everyone else (other than the wedding party) were in jeans and new checked/plaid shirts or pretty tops. All the guys wore western hats. But nobody set a dress code in advance.
    We only knew a small handful of people there, nobody introduced anybody. The strange woman at our table gave me some unpleasant looks, so I ignored her.....turns out she was nephew’s MIL and she didn’t talk to anyone, I found out much later. But the entire theme of the wedding was very C&W. The food was not great, hot from jalapeños or other spices. (I had to scrape off the chicken breast because the topping was hot from jalapeños, and that was the only thing there I could eat. But nothing was in large amounts except the shaved beef and alcoholic drinks. The bread rolls were hard and the butter knife barely cut it open. The wedding cake was an undecorated stack of cakes, only a mere swish of a thin glaze between layers, plus a few dozen cupcakes barely frosted. We didn’t stay to get any but overall it didn’t look appetizing. After the meal they announced something about entertainment, I know there was one guy who donned a T-Rex costume (?????? Huh?), but by then we were ready to leave. I imagine any dancing came after the “entertainment” portion. It was not like any wedding I’d ever been to. I wished they’d have held it earlier in the day.
    But that’s how it went. I personally thought way too much alcohol was flowing there, so leaving early was probably a good idea.

Lisa, your dinner sounds good. Hope the docs get Tex’s cough fixed quickly.
    Jostoy, the trip sounds like fun. Enjoy yourself.
    Elaine, you seem to keep your church people well fed.

Well, I’m sure several others have posted while I typed. But the sun is up, so I’ll get the newspaper in. Plus have some cereal for breakfast.
    Today we’ll be going to see a movie, I forget which one.

Have a great day, everyone. 🤗
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Good morning..I just realized I haven't checked in since Thitsdsy.ooops. I am staying busy when I get a nothing day like yesterday I crash and d nothing! Today I don't have be really active til this evening my church is having a fall festival and I am helping.

Comment

Burr...and winter is not even here yet! Yesterday we ran out looking for Jon a winter coat and it was so funny to see people all bundled up with their hoods pulled tight. Windy and cold! Does not look windy out but cold again. Yesterday's high was in the 40s. He did not find a coat around here so wants to run to the mall today. He needs an entire new winter wardrobe and I have ask him to put off buying to much as he will be losing weight. I am so proud of how he is handling this diet. He is getting good advice from the professionals at work and my sister and I have been able to access some on the computer so he is doing ok until he gets info from his own dr. It is amazing how many people are actually diabetic. Jon says he has worked with some for years and had no idea!

Well, needless to say, nothing has been done on the porch but I think a sunny afternoon will allow us to touch up paint and caulk. Doubtful we will get the deck stained this year. But you never now when an unexpected warm front can come through. Looks like the money I had stashed for some landscaping will be covering the credit card bills from Christmas shopping. I do still have my Christmas Club check held back but that will finish it all up. So close to being done! Sierra made it easy by only wanting gift cards. There will be a couple of surprises for her to unwrap and I try to make the stockings fun. I love Christmas shopping and my sister is completely finished but we will be spending many days off at malls. The best shopping days are when you already have it done and are just out for fun. Now Kate will drag us down with wanting to shop but we tolerate her...once!

The house has stayed so nice and picked up. I was home alone last night and curled up with the Blues...won again! Next time I change the bed it will be with the flannels and need to find the cord for the mattress warmer. My feet felt like they were at the arena. That is a cold place and I always wear two pair of socks to games but never thought I would need them in my own bed! Gotta dig out that cord.

Sierra has a birthday party this afternoon and Jon is going to the big mall so I will be home alone with Hallmark. Jo that does sound like a strange wedding...with all that booze flowing you maybe should have stayed for the entertainment. Sounds like their wedding is a look into how they live. You appear to be taking good care of Tex, Lisa. He will get better everyday and you will be ready to head back to work. Your mother lives in Turkey if I remember correctly? I did not realize European countries also changed time in the fall and spring. Jostoy enjoy your trip. You will need a week home to relax after!! Enjoy this beautiful Sunday cuz another fun filled week will be following in a few hours

Comment

Good morning! It feels great to be at home for my own church and I am dressed and ready to go. I just copied the hymns for November for the organist and the two subs we will have this month. The organist and her husband travel the whole month of November selling nuts. At craft fairs and such and it is usually a bit of a surprise as to how the music goes. One organist sub plays so loudly I paused between verses onetime to ask her to bring it down a bit. I couldn't even hear myself. The next time she played I just gave up. The other thing she does is play as fast as she wants and does not follow my lead. That one puts me in a mood, which isn't what you want for church. I am working on my attitude.

Oh, my! I took some of the cookies I got from Donna to my favorite shop to share with them. they Loved them! Ladylocks are such a wonderful surprise to us out here. No one I know has heard of them, but everyone I have shared with is now a Fan!
          I went in to take the cookies (on a Fall themed platter) and then walked through the store to see the trees that are being done for the big Open House for the holiday season. I saw a darling picture of animals around the manger and asked if I could buy it or did I need? I ended up with some wonderful things! I had wanted to take the day off on Wednesday because I am always invited to their 2 hour opening event but have never gone because of daycare. After taking two Fridays off though, I just couldn't do that to parents. So, other than the catered refreshments, I got the full experience yesterday and none of the crowds. I saw a few things and found out one of them was the only one that came with the order so I took that. And a beautiful tablecloth that the owner said was half price if I wanted it. I now have all I need with what I bought yesterday and will try and remind myself of that on any subsequent trips there.

I also got my curb appeal started really well yesterday. I bought two big pots already planted with mums and some tall grass stuff coming out of the middle of the pot. And the pots are black which goes really well with the trim on the house. I also bought pansies and small mums. I ran into my former landscaper who said pansies will grow here all winter. I finished up the painting on my bench that sits out front and got brushes to paint some of my other pots.

Today's dinner will be chicken with Amish dumplings; they are more like a square noodle. I bought them last summer in Md. at the Amish market. Lots of families selling their particular products.And the ever present green salad.
          Elaine, your tamale casserole sounds like something I would like to take to church or to the shelter. Hope you can share it here.

Jo, the wedding sounds interesting, for sure. There are a lot like that around here, too. One of my friends is the county clerk and she performs a lot of weddings and the pictuers get posted on Facebook. Lots are out in the country or on someone's ranch. Not too many in a traditional church.

Maxie, I searched diabetic recipes and Tons came up on Pinterest. If we are friends on Facebook I could share things with you. I am Paula L Anderson (REd Bluff, CA) on Facebook. When pat was trying to find me she said there were so many with that name that I had to tell her my town so she could find me. Or if you are in the RT group on FAcebook that makes it really easy!

Hope you all have a great day! I have some cookies to look forward to later today while watching a Hallmark movie! Ah, the simple things (except Donna's Ladylocks can never be called simple!)

Comment

Good Morning. OK....enough is enough....I need some sunshine again. It rained all day yesterday and seems the same for today.

Yesterday was a busy, but good. Blaise's soccer game got canceled, so I called to see if his friend Drake could come over to play, which he did.

I roasted a ham for dinner, and Becca & my Mom came to eat with us. We had a nice visit. We even played Racko with Blaise. I spent the better part of the day rolling, cutting a bazillion 1" circles, and baking them. I think I ended up with enough to make 45 doz, which means I made 90 doz of those little boogers. And people wonder why I charge so much for them ($5/doz)....they are a pain and take forever to make.

This morning we went to church & SS. The couch is calling me to take a nap. It's so dang dreary. It feels like late afternoon all day. I need to make Cork's food for his lunches for the week. The same thing I made for him for the past 2 weeks. I don't know how he eats the same thing over & over again. I'm then going to make a couple pans of scalloped potatoes with a layer of ham. The smaller pan will go to my cousin (Aunt Maye's granddaughter) who had a baby. Will take that over tomorrow afternoon.

Our church is hosting Trunk or Treat for the church and community. We'll take Blaise to that, then I'm going to play cards for the evening at my SIL place along with my Mom & cousin Karen (Aunt Maye's daughter).

I don't think our time changes for a couple more weeks. I thought it changed in October other years.

Have a good one all!

Comment

Me again.

Paula, I remember time changing in October, too. E tells me it’s November 5th this year.

Cookie, Trunk or Treat seems to be catching on here, Nephew says that’s what the kids are doing this year. If any kids come around at night to their home, they give them a lighted necklace or light stick.

Maxie, you’re right on the wedding theme. The groom is a farmer. (Cotton, corn, wheat, etc.). The floral arrangements at the wedding, on tables in jars and in buckets around the room, were raw cotton on their stems with wildflowers and fake blooms.... different and interesting combinations. No doubt many of the other guests are, too.
              The brides oldest daughter, in high school now, raises pigs there. That surprised me. Two sows gave birth recently....sow 1 has 9 healthy piglets out of 11, and sow 2 didn’t make it through the birthing nor did any of her piglets.
              I think the booze already started taking effect when we were leaving. You could smell it. My 1st spouse was an alcoholic, and then added drugs to that, so I had no interest in hanging around at that point. I have no doubt that might well be a factor at the wedding, as cannis can be acquired without much difficulty. There were lots of smokers there, too, so who knows. I don’t know marijuana by it’s smell, but even cigarette smoke is something nobody else needs to breathe.
              Otherwise, it was interesting. Different.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

• maxie
                maxie commented
                Editing a comment
                The last time my sister and I were out and about we noticed the cotton stems in a lot of floral displays. Must be a fad. Funny thing is when Scott moved to Sikeston Mo and up until a year or two ago, they had cotton fields in the middle of town. He brought home some stems with cotton balls for Andrew to take to school when he was in first or second that he had just stopped the car for and picked. Now they are charging a fortune to stick them in a vase.

Good Sunday afternoon..

having another wet, dreary day.. two in a row.. makes all the joints annoyingly stiff and achy..

DAvid got up not feeling like venturing out today...he gets do tired of his Unstable balance... ( so why don't you keep a cane beside you , asks his wife)..
              so we did not go to church,, miss it.. call my cousin who goes there to explain our absence. she was worried...the colder weather is also making him ache ..
              .....but I did talk to Donna a bit ago...
              .... and I do come here and read and know what my RT friends are doing .. so now I can go read read read....

Paula. got a kick out of your description of organist.... I played the organ for 20 years..they had a piano player for the choir.. ( because I don't do accompaniment music ..but I did the hymns, and my preludes,offertories. in a church with lots of elderly voices. you can't speed along.. but you have to keep them from dragging.. ...enjoyed those days. but glad the responsibility is over.
              JoG.. what a "different" wedding ... those are the kind D.and I leave very quickly..
              Maxie.. I too have cold feet.. but my solution was. a heating pad.. placed at my feet.. cover over the plastic pad..and some sort of warm little throw, folded for you to slide you feet between layers. and sometimes even wear socks.. if you have a pair of those biggies they give you at hospital.. they are the best.. the elastic is loser..

time for more coffee and back to boring book.. glad I will be visiting Library tomorrow..

Comment

Working...
              X