X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday 27th!

St Magdalens.JPG

Morning all.
    I went to bed at 2am, then ping! wide awake again at 6. Maybe a nap will happen later.
    Thinking of my Denise under flood and hurricance warning in Nassau Bay, TX. They're on Day 2 of a 5 day 'weather event', poor things. Water levels are rising fast. She's ok so far but very tired from being constantly on alert.
    Nothing much doing here today. Went into thte city yesterday to see a friend who runs a lovely organic and vegan/allergy catering cake stall, and oh she makes the BEST things. I had a gorgeous cake made Ethiopian teff flour, gluten free and nutty, layered up with fresh strawberries from her garden, and whipped coconut cream. Oh my. This was my photo of it on instagram. The top layer fell over as we popped it into my container, but that never stopped me eating it! https://www.instagram.com/p/BYQJDt7n...n-by=cookwitch

Spent a time wandering around the city in the sunshine. I've - hopefully - attached a photo for you.
    Tex seems to be doing ok, the gall bladder is giving him a rest at the moment. I hope it stays that way! Hated to see him in so much pain. Still no news on when the op will be done to get rid of the thing.
    Baking bread today, I've been playing with the no knead method, and it's fun!
    National holiday tomorrow. Woohoo!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LisaUK; 08-27-2017, 04:04 AM.

Good Morning.

Lisa, so lovely to find you here. Oh my! The cake. Divine. Beautiful photo of your world, as well. Happy to hear Tex is taking a break from agony.

Nothing to report here. Have not had one drop of rain. We are, however, as north as you can get, almost to Oklahoma, but weather forecasters predicted we would get bands of rain. But no.
    However, our family in Houston is getting pummeled. But they are all safe.

Better get things ready for church. Taking a grape salad, since nobody here will eat the grapes. Have a wonderful Sunday, Friends.

Comment

Another bright and sunny morning even if it is a bit too cool for me. But guess I could be ready to move the seasons along if it means next summer will be coming sooner. So not into this school year! We get no info from the kid and why do you need an assignment book if it is full of what you already DID in class? Oh well, guess time will sort it all out. With Andrew's reading aid being an old school mate of Jon's it should be a help especially since she is the one who reached out. Watched some of the horrible hurricane sights yesterday. So sad for those people. Once the weather stops I hope they get the aid they need quickly to recover. So much devastation and once it is over the victims have to fight for everything to get back to normal. I need a new crock pot so may run today and look for one. Who would have thought I could wear one out? It is still cooking fine but the bowl is getting age cracks...sure got my money's worth out of it! Jon is working and Sierra is off but will be heading out for the day I am sure. Afternoon ballgame so I will settle in and admire the new crock pot...if I make it out to shop. Cardinals won a come from behinder last night with a walk off home run. That woke me up since I was kinda dozing. Elaine, for some reason I had you and John pictured by Houston so glad you are missing that horrible rain. Lisa, glad Tex is feeling better...we have a friend who is recuperating from gall bladder surgery after many trips to the er with pain. The picture of the cake was yummy! Hello to all of you still to come here this morning.

Comment

Hi. Had trouble posting again this morning. Maxie, I think we were typing together.

Good morning, all.
      The weather people are saying there will be more water damage than wind damage. I'm not so sure. We've seen some devastating pictures already. Our DD is faring well in her part of the Dallas area. GD hasn't replied, but hen she may be traveling for the company she works for. My thoughts will be with all the people in the hurricane areas til it's done.

Nothing much going on here. The newspaper is 50% sports, more than I ever care to know about that. And of course the Trump news and other world news. Just not in the mood for all that. Our president has pardoned a racist/bigot, which interferes with state laws....because he's got a bone to pick with our 2 Rep. Representatives. Now that idiot sherif wants to get back into politics "because he needs to get the political message out there." Huh? Sounds fishy to me.

Hot day ahead here......104°, with humidity. I know. I'm certainly ready for autumn weather.

Lisa, that cake sounds pretty darn good. Glad to hear that Tex is feeling better. It does sound like the doctors are dragging their feet on the surgery. He'll probably feel tons better when it's removed. Mine was removed over 2 decades ago. They gave me the gall stone, and it looked just like a pecan.

Elaine, I'm so glad to hear the terrible weather has missed you!

To everyone, have a beautiful and peaceful day.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

• Paula A
        Paula A commented
        Editing a comment
        Jo, I appreciate what you are saying more than any news from here abut the pardon...I figure you Live there and know a lot more than any of my CA Facebook people...

• maxie
        maxie commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Jo, I had also wondered what the citizens of Arizona think of the notorious sheriff. Deplorable and despicable are probably two words I over use but they appear to be the closest in describing today's political system.

Good morning and I totally agree: the cake looks so good! And the city scene is lovely! would love to travel there, Lisa, and enjoy the culture. Just the way you described going to your friend's cake place sounds charming. Travel Channel will probably have to suffice for me today.
      Maxie, it would be great if the insurance and FEMA relief support would be as fast as the ground support agencies seem to move in after a disaster. There really should be a quicker way to get people the funds to get back on their feet...I am so grateful for the organizations that move in quickly and do not charge people money for what they need: food, water, clothing...we all sure donate enough that I would hope Salvation Army and the churches would just move in and help. I know there are a lot that do, but news coverage doesn't seem to always be there.
      I did end up baking yesterday. I posted a picture in the comments on a pumpkin cream cheese cake that shows my streusel topping did not measure up to the one in the Facebook picture. I followed the recipe exactly so I think they had a lot more streusel than the recipe called for. Next time I will at least Triple that part of the recipe. It is really good and reminds me of a recipe I made a long time ago called grammy lassies...
      I volunteered to donate baked items to the shelter bake sale in a few weeks and will be looking for some high yield recipes.
      A friend texted me and asked if I had a suitcase she could borrow in afew weeks. I texted back, What color and what size do you want? So today after church I will be clearing out the blanket I have in my big red piece that she will borrow. After a number of trips I found the red is the easiest to spot (other than the black one I painted Hawaiian flowers on for that trip!). Now, if it only comes off the plane soon enough...
      I need to gather up my purse and hymnbook and get myself moving!

Comment

Good Morning! Sunny but cool here....feels like Fall.

Yesterday was good. Got all my pies baked right before we had to leave for the Memorial svc for my Aunt Jeanie. We went to the luncheon afterwards and had a nice visit with my cousins that I haven't seen in probably 20 yrs. Only one of their children have we seen on a semi-regular basis over the years. I connected with the one cousin's daughter. I can see she's the family glue. She suggested a reunion to me and I agreed to have it at my place. She instantly sent a friend request on FB to me and we are going to work on it together. It'll be her responsibility to get her family & extended family to come to it.

Came home and cleaned house. It feels so good to look around and not cringe. Made up 4 batches of pie filling too so that tomorrow I can get pies made up quickly for Tuesday.

This morning we went to church & SS. Went straight from church to the farm stand to deliver today's pies. Lew ran over Lucy's foot yesterday (his dog), and she was just laying there mending this morning. Poor Lucy. Peach season is coming to a close soon. Bummer. Means pie sales will drop down too. Still have one more good week, but after Labor Day things slow way down.

This afternoon I'm going to a baby shower for Aunt J's granddaughter Shawna. Neither of my daughters or niece's are going. Kathy COULD, but she's going to take Blaise for the afternoon so I don't have to take him with me. I told her she could come & Blaise could just come with us, but she chose to take him home with her. Whatever. Makes life easier for me. Will come home and cook up a dinner for Corky so he has leftovers for lunches this week.

They announced in church that UMCOR (which is the United Methodist's Committee On Relief) is already down in the Huston area with Flood Buckets, and some from our Tri-State area are already on the way down. Buckets as well as chain saws. It's nice to know that 100% of what we donate is used to help those in need.

Have a good one all!

Comment

• sassygirl01
          sassygirl01 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cookielady,They announced in my Church too....And cleaning supplies...

Paula & Maxie, I'd say that most of our AZ citizens feel let down. Your terminology, Maxie, is right on!
        I'll bet the guy was a school bully in his younger days.
        Which is pretty much how our prez' it turning out to be. They both seem to love lording over people and humiliating them.
        I'm so tired of both of those characters.
        ☹️
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
        X