X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday, January 19

Good morning!
    .......where is everyone this morning?

Well, today I have an early consult with the vascular surgeon. I just hope he agrees with me that I don't need surgery to remove the filter the doctors inserted in my vena cava vein (to the heart), back in 1989. By now it must be well attached to my body. More importantly, I have had DVTs since then, and should that recur without that filter in place, I'm a goner.
    Send good thoughts my way, please. We will be seeing this doc between 9-9:30 this morning.
    E is going with me, as he can fill in any additional technical info that I don't remember, should this guy need the info.

Then we will spend the rest of the day at home. Laundry day.....never-ending.

Yesterday I fixed E a lunch he'd never had before. My grandma fed this to my grandpa every day he was home at noon. When he worked it was his supper. I call it a Peasant Skillet, simply sliced onion, potatoes, and kielbasa fried together. He loved it.
    For supper I made Unstuffed Cabbage soup. ToH's newest recipe. I tweaked it because I've never used lemon juice and raisins in stuffed cabbage. The base soup was chopped onion, cabbage, tomatoes, and I used Progresso tomato basil soup instead of tomato sauce. Then I mixed what we've had as porcupine meatballs (ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, uncooked rice...I added also an egg and a package on dry onion soup mix). Dropped the meatballs into the simmering broth and let it cook on low til dinner time. So much easier than rolling it in cabbage leaves. And it tasted just like cabbage rolls I am used to. He loved that, too.

Well, I guess I'll get a bite of breakfast, then get ready for my appointment. We have to leave here by 8 a.m., considering morning traffic.

Have a good day everyone.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Good morning all..

Maye..You will be in our payers..

Is this cute little pic..You ever seen..
    Brr..another cold day..And everyone stay warm.

Even the furbabies too..

Comment

Good morning ..

where is everyone... did you not get up at 5 like me?.

thanks to you all for prayers and thoughts... I posted late yesterday.on here somewhere

all went very well.. even though he looks terrible with tubes everywhere... but he was even , with a lot of help, setting up in recliner by late evening . .Mike and I will be leaving soon ... so happy he flew home and is here in house to be with me. .. all my kids were just great great support yesterday.. and I did feel all your prayers..

so hi to everyone. hopefully get back in later today.. Donna will keep you inform of any changes ..

Hi Paula and Justy ..
      SassyG.. loving your cats..

merge our topics ..SassyG was here first..
      Last edited by Mayebarnes; 01-19-2016, 07:25 AM.
      Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Morning all

Aunt Maye, so glad Dave is doing well. Big hugs to you all.

Another quiet day here in tourist land. Seriously thinking about leaving a half-day again today. I can only take so much boredom! I can think of at least a thousand things I could be doing at home!

Y'all have a good 'un!
        Last edited by Pat B; 01-19-2016, 09:11 AM.
        The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Good Morning.

Jo, will be thinking of you this morning and praying for good news.
          I cooked cabbage yesterday with onions, minus the sausage. I cooked in a pan with vented sides and the steam nailed my arm pretty good. Thank goodness for aloe vera.
          I saw the ToH recipe and considered it. We don't eat a lot of cabbage, but once you buy one, you need to use it up pretty quickly.

Thinking of Dave and Janet and sending up prayers for smooth recovery.

Cold weather is keeping us in the house, but today we are running out of basics, so I guess it's a trip to the market.

Hope everyone has a very good day. Hugs to All ~ ~ ~ ~

Comment

Good SUNNY Morning! Yesterday was pretty too, though bitter cold. The schools are on a 2 hr delay this morning due to the cold.

Yesterday was great! The cleaning bug doesn't bit me often, but when it does, I try to really take advantage of it. The biggest accomplishment was getting Blaise's room cleaned & organized. Oh so much better! Another day I'll dump & organize the toy totes. Made spaghetti for dinner. It's back to just the 3 of us. Had a lot of texts flying back & forth btw Karen & us about Uncle Dave. I then made the phone calls to my Mom & Aunt P. Very thankful that everything went fine.

Not sure what today will bring. More cleaning probably or I might start sorting the bill & receipt box for taxes.

Worried that we haven't heard from Boffler. Sharon....where are you?

Have a good one all!

Comment

Good morning...feeling almost human this morning....So glad everything is going well maye and dave. Volunteer day today...not sure what my afternoon will bring...possibly pizza..and groceries if my sis brings my money to me.

Comment

Good morning! Hoping the door guy did not forget us since he did not call yesterday. He will be on the steps down so I will not be able to get to the laundry room or downstairs fridge so have hauled everything up or down as needed. Today I am making stew for supper...both kids should be here. Not as cold as yesterday...10* this morning with 3 to 4 inches of snow predicted. I know the outside temp is much warmer than yesterday just by the feel of the house. Talked with my sister yesterday for over 2 hours. She has had some med changes and hasn't been feeling well but everything seems to have finally clicked and we had things to say! Pantry is back together and amazing how much room you have when things are neat and dates checked. Glad David is doing so well, and business picked up Pat, good luck with the doctor Jo, and bundle up down in Texas...it is cold out there!

Comment

Super windy and rainy out! Not sure about putting mail out to be picked up. I may ask my mom to stop by on her way to the post office. I will gladly run out to her car. The wind is blowing the rain all over the front and all mail will be wet.
                  That soup sounds delicious, Jo. I will look for it. I couldn't open your file. Was that the recipe? I would like to try it with the lemon juice. A diner here used to make the best cabbage rolls and I think they may have used lemon juice to get their sweet/ sour taste. The restaurant burned down and never re-opened.
                  Maye, I am glad you have so much family there. Really helps to have a few more ears to hear what the medical people say...
                  Take care everyone!

Comment

Paula, I will send you the original recipe this afternoon, when I get back from the doctor.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Aloha all!

Glad it is all going well with David, Maye. Now the healing process begins.

Good thoughts coming your way, Jo.

Patty and Walt are coming in to do their shopping and we will go out to lunch somewhere.

Have a good day all!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayebarnes View Post
                        Good morning ..

where is everyone... did you not get up at 5 like me?.

thanks to you all for prayers and thoughts... I posted late yesterday.on here somewhere

all went very well.. even though he looks terrible with tubes everywhere... but he was even , with a lot of help, setting up in recliner by late evening . .Mike and I will be leaving soon ... so happy he flew home and is here in house to be with me. .. all my kids were just great great support yesterday.. and I did feel all your prayers..

so hi to everyone. hopefully get back in later today.. Donna will keep you inform of any changes ..

Hi Paula and Justy ..
                        SassyG.. loving your cats..

merge our topics ..SassyG was here first..
                        Maye,Thank-you...things happen....

Comment

I'm back! My consultation at the Vascular surgeons' office lasted nearly the entire hour, rather than the 15 allotted minutes. Many questions from the 2 doctors who were dealing with me. I told them "in a nutshell", what my PCP thought, what my original understanding was, and I hoped there wouldn't be surgery because none of it was bothering me at all. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I took E along to explain in his medical terminology to them what the original surgery entailed, which fascinated and horrified them. Since the original doctors "grabbed a vein of opportunity, not in the books but on one old X-Ray in their files", this would have to be a major and probably complicated surgery, if they took that route.
                          Yes, they did bring up my old XRay and study it in private. We agreed, this filter has been in place for 26-going-on-27 years, and it is probably a solid part of me at this point. It's an older style filter, meant as a permanent fixture. The PCP is probably aware of only the new filters, which operate entirely differently, and may be a temporary fix for some people.

So, I'm just fine and do NOT need the surgery. I am very happy with that.

I still have 4 more various medical appointments, in the next 2-3 weeks - all unrelated to this, or each other. Thanks to specialization in their fields. Makes me think that too many cooks CAN spoil the soup.

It drives E nuts that I base some things on assumptions from other experiences there, and I tell them these are what I THINK some of this is, I expect that somebody would correct me if I'm wrong. But my comments, unless *proven* otherwise, have at least a thread of validity in them. Let them figure it out.

On another note, I've a load of laundry waiting to be moved over.
                          Then supper to reheat for tonight.

Have a good evening.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Back home . its bedtime .but want to tell you all. David had a good good day.. . altho' he was in bad pain, most of the day.. the surgery area is healing nicely.. and before we left at 7pm.. almost all his many many tubes and lines had been removed because his body is doing well.. However he has a very bad back .. with spinal stenosis. arthritis and various other disc problems.. so the back was hurting and the chest where the drains are in was hurting .. eventually a lot of lines were pulled. still has major line into the heart. and of course his diabetes ,sugar ,insulin line. but all in all he is doing great..hoping he gets some sleep. tonight.. and that the snow storm stays away from us this time..

thanks for kind thoughts and prayers... I'm sure my nerves and my knees needed them all..,,,,, thank you

Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Maye, Dave's bed doesn't have him flat on his back, does it?
                              It's my understanding that heart patients' beds should be elevated several inches at the head. My aunt and uncle had experiences with that. Anyway, the elevation might just relieve some of that back pain. Ask his doctor and see how he feels about it.
                              My brother has a big wedge pillow to ease his back & heart.

Hope I get some sleep tonight. I've been waking at 2-3 o'clock this week. I feel dragged out a bit. I read a banana at bedtime aids sleep. Will try that tonight.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X