Souffle Salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Souffle Salad

Does anyone remember making these in the late 50s and 60s? I keep seeing blogs saying how horrid, nasty, and thoroughly disgusting these were. I never see them anywhere and I haven't made one in a long time. I didn't think they were disgusting and no one at my table had any complaints, and believe me, if there was one thing my first spouse did was critique every meal I made.
    One of these people "made" it with the tuna but didn't follow the directions so of course it looked nasty when he dished it up.

I used to vary the veggies and cheese. Never did try it with tuna as many recipes called for because the thought of tuna with gelatin was a turn off for me.

Let me know if anyone else has made one of these.

Barb, I've never made one, but remember them from my childhood. They remind me of aspic, which totally grosses me out.

Check this out: http://clickamericana.com/eras/1950s...ad-recipe-1955
    The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

I vaguely recall this. I don't remember that we ever had it at our house.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Oh Wow! Never heard of this before. Thanks, Pat, for the visual.

Comment

As I said, I never put any fish or meat in it. The thought of tuna and Jello makes me feel sick.
          I don't like aspic either.

Comment

I had one that called for salmon and I did like it. It was served at a friend's house.
            What I didn't like was the green jello with carrots in it, maybe pineapple, too, or any jello with cottage cheese and pineapple. From my grandmother and aunts in my 1950's childhood.

Comment

Dick's sister in law used to make green Jello with cottage cheese and ,I think, pineapple in it. Dick called it Green Death.

Comment

Working...
              X