No announcement yet.

Sunday ~ Nov. 22 ~ the beginning of Thanksgiving week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi...I'm back like I said I would be. Glad to see more people posting today.
    My DD who just moved, well she, her ex, and their oldest daughter stopped by early this morning.... He loaded her love seat, a tv & stand, and assorted boxes of stuff in the back of his truck, and took it all to her new place. We paid him for the gas he used up, coming and going; he said it was too much, so we gave the difference to DD for her pressing needs. Her spouse is a real jerk, but her ex comes by to check on her be sure all is well and he's helpful to her.

Darla, Speaking of grandparents, I never met my Dad's parents. His mom died when he was just 8, with symptoms much like when I first and suddenly got sick; my Dad was orphaned when he was about 13, and raised by his sister. I wish I knew anything about his parents. Nobody seems to remember.

There is always much to be thankful for, even with difficult family, relatives, and people in general.
    Looking back, I learned the good & bad through the difficult people and times, and this is what forms who we have become or will be.
    My mom said I was the perfect child until I was 12. Sure, because I was her "puppet", doing all that I was ordered or told to do. I was scared of a lot of people. I was afraid of making mistakes. My friends were dwindling. At 12, I was changing schools, and realized I needed to make changes. I couldn't go on being scared. i began to think for myself (mom hated that). I learned a lot from my teachers, and I used what I learned. My mom must have had a million superstitions, and I'm sure she made up a lot of them along the way. I had to separate that from reality. The last straw was her telling me who I'd marry, because he was rich. He was a blind date. I didn't like him when I got to know him, he wasn't as nice as people purported. Actually, he courted my parents, but told me how things would be. I told my folks why I didn't like him, or the way he treated me. But his money blinded my folks. His mom tried to buy the lot between her house and his grandmas house, and build "our" house on it, and they'd furnish it. I told them don't bother, I wouldn't be around. My mom threw in her plans, I said the same thing. Ergo, long story in a nutshell, I left home & eloped with another boy. Then, that seemed my only solution. I was afraid my dad would have settled the answer with his pistol. Today I could see other ways, less hurtful, to deal with it. But maybe not. We'd have needed a PowWow of everyone together. And we would all need open minds. I think my mothers parents would have been on my side. Maybe my side would have been a minority issue.

But, overall, I think my life turned out good. The Fates guided me through rough times as well as good times. For a long time I had literally nothing but my kids, but we got through things quite well, and for that I have long-standing Thankfulness.
    With E in my life, my cup certainly overfloweth. Many times I have said I have been overblessed. Time to give away, or share, these blessings.

Oh, and I heard from a BFF who still lives near my old neighborhood in MI. She said they got 6" of snow yesterday.

Beth, as long as you know you're happier where you are, that's great. Your friends can come visit you. Or you can visit them sometime. But you will most likely be making some new friends in your new place, too. Stay happy!

Happy baking, Maye & Cookie. I made Cinnamon muffins and Mixed Berry muffins this morning. They were so good, just out of the oven. Nobody used any butter or jam with it, just ate them plain.

Well, my big guy here needs some attention. I'd better get out of my chair and see what my silly guy wants.

😌
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Good afternoon! The Thanksgiving dinner at church last night was wonderful! The turkey was so moist and most of the dressing/stuffing looked homemade. My mom and I ate at a table with another mother - daughter duo and had a great time remembering and talking about back in "our day" kind of things...all the while the other daughter was texting and on her phone! New day!
      I have a Texas sheet cake in the oven for a meeting tonight. I love the aroma of baking chocolate!
      I am think of you a lot, pat, when I start to get a bit annoyed with all my mom's "suggestions" as to how I should be doing this or that...or how one of the grands should...but I knkow it comes from thinking she has the answers to how we all would be so much happier if we did things her way. It is form a good place. and so I don't complain (too much) and try to remember what pat said to Chris. And I try to remember how I can sound a lot like my mother to My kids, too...
      I already got all teary eyed in church today, so I don't want to get too much into the who I miss and how much.
      I am trying to plan on the cookies I want to have for a pretty and yummy tray. I am glad Donna said what she did about color. Too many brown cookies, no matter how good they taste, just don't say Holiday cookies to me.
      gotta go frost that cake while it is still warm.
      Wish I could pass around a piece to each of you!
      Thankful for all of you and for the people who keep you going!

Comment

Aloha all!

I miss those family get togethers we used to have while I was growing up with my parents, my grandmother, aunts, uncles and many cousins. So much good food and then a baseball game afterwards in the large back yard. Remember being surprised at how good my mom was at slugging the ball. Then we kids would hike around and go swinging like monkeys through the hou trees never touching the ground.

Bim and I are going to Hana for our Thanksgiving with Patty and Walt and that will be nice. Patty is a good cook and I'll be helping with the meal.

Have a good day all!

Comment

finally got to the round table.. was a "long " day.. my knees are complaining this evening... got to be the ceramic flooring ... girls got here about 11:30.. we mixed up the no-bake dough.. Peanut butter, and the oreo/cream cheese ones.. set in fridge .set ups so making balls are easer...
          Hannah took over the mixing of bun dough.. I had all ingredients out and Bethany put them in . the two girls did all the mixing by hand.. to get the feel of how dough must feel.. and how much you have to Knead it. set it to rising.. the melted the choc and dip all the ball of cookies.. finished them up just as the dough was ready to be made into buns.........
          pan after pan full.. about 5 doz .took some dough and deep fried it . ..Jacob and Mom had showed up to help eat ... (DAvid and sil Bill had left on a trip up to camp, to check out the house ,grounds, and to deliver the neighbor ,who watches over the house , a turkey)..
          then the baking begins .my job.. Just have to watch and not burn any of them.. all done cleaned up and they were on way home by 5:10.. I don't think I have moved off the chair for more than 10 min since...... was a delightful day.. Tradition has been upheld yet again!...

Maxie sounds like a great Thanksgiving your family too...

Barb... Nice to have things to be thankful for ..... Im so glad to hear you have settled into a nice place where you are cozy .

think I will get ready for bed.. plan on reading but will probably drop off..
          Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Working...
          X