Silly Thing Really, But I Wanted to Tell You All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly Thing Really, But I Wanted to Tell You All

Eight years ago Esther (Jessie) sent me a padded envelope full of tiny packets of flower seeds that she and her daughter propogated. I never had the courage to plant them and have kept them just as they came.

A couple of months ago a young man moved here and joined our church. By young, I mean 50. He is a retired Navel Officer, a member of the Sea Chanters Choir. His voice takes you right to heaven.
    In the past few years he has been involved in the musical leadership of a very large church in the Dallas area, but he wanted to get away from the rat race. He has gone to work for Home Depot, in charge of the nurseries in 4 counties.

Anyway, I asked him what he liked to do in his spare time, and he told me he loves gardening. He has bought several acres and is renovating an old house. He will build raised beds and grow his own produce.

I've found the right place for the seeds. When they are growing and flourishing, I can visit and admire them. I think Jessie would like this.

Yes, they've now found a home.

Comment

I too have a package of lots of seeds from Jessie... and planted some of them from time to time... just about everything you can thing of... I wonder if I can find a home for them.?....maybe ask at the church to see if anyone is into flower gardens..
      Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

What a truly wonderful memory! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Janet, I always felt so bad about not planting these seeds, but now I am glad I have them to pass on.

Comment

Sharing the seeds was a nice thing to do.
            I wish I were a better gardener. I try...do okay enough with veggies, but not so great with flowers. But I keep trying.
            People say," Why bother, this is the desert!" Well, some things do grow in the desert. I think we have a greater caliche content in our soil here, than where you see lawns. That takes a ton of water to keep it green! I feel lucky when my trees survive.

I did plant some expensive "bon-bon" flowers (balls mud containing flower seeds), which are packed in small boxes of 6 like candy. From the Botanical Gardens. Not one of them sprouted. My garden gets watered daily. How disappointing.

Well, that's more than you ever wanted to know, I'm sure.

But I admire those of you who have green thumbs, and who share their seeds.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

What a wonderful memory of Esther. I remember her fondly.

Comment

WOW! I finally figured out how to post a reply. The Roundtable has changed!!!

It is great to be reminded of how really important the "little" things we do can be. Our "little" things are huge to others sometimes! Thanks for sharing this story!
                "God loves us so much, He gave us friends!" Amen! http://roundersonline.org/core/images/smilies/smile.png

Comment

Working...
                X