I give up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give up

I have decided it's time to quit driving. Have had several close calls lately that could have been disastrous. All my fault. Have to stop before I kill myself or someone else.
    I will sell my car after the first of the year.
    My sister or DD Joyce have told me they will drive me when I need to go shopping, Dr. etc.
    I will probably use the Dial-a-Ride Service for Dr. and dentist since one never knows how long those will take.
    Every now and then I think I will just go do this or that and have to remind myself that I DON'T DRIVE!

Barb, that has to be one of the hardest things to give up. I hope all will work out for you. (((((((((((((((Barb))))))))))))))))

Comment

I am so sorry, Barb, as you will be giving up your independence to some degree. But a wise choice to make. I will have to do this someday too.

Comment

I am doing the same thing, Barb. I will probably stop driving in a few weeks at most. My problem is there is no reliable transportation around here and, especially during holidays, they are busy with family, etc.

It really is a great loss of independence, but it is so much better than the loss of a life. I will pray for ypu and I hope things go well for you.
        "God loves us so much, He gave us friends!" Amen! http://roundersonline.org/core/images/smilies/smile.png

Comment

I have been considering this for some time so I am pretty much resigned to it. Maybe I should get a Scooter so I could go down to Main
          St. I doubt very much that I could walk down the steep hill to get there and back.

Comment

so sorry to hear this day has come.... but admire you for being really honest and blunt ...I think women do this easier than men..

but not all women . lady acquiantance who had accident.. and the fined her. took her license ..but she continued to drive anyhow.... she had a heart attack.. her Dr. and family took away her driving and her keys... but she persists she is Going to drive ........... thats showing disregard for other people on the road... think you will sleep better knowing you are taking a danger off the road... to others and yourself..
            Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Barb, I just saw this thread. It is good that you can decide this for yourself, not have it imposed on you.
              Is there any help for transportation other than Dial a Ride?
              I think the scooter is a good idea. My BIL used one a lot. He just wanted to get out on his own sometimes. He went to Target!

Comment

A lot of the older individuals in my apartment building no longer and alot of them have scooters that allow them to keep their independence to an extent...When I move in a month I am not taking my car...way to much traffic for me to deal with...my sister and her family live really close to me..and I got a new bike...one that I am going to feel comfortable about riding...also going to learn the bus and taxi services and that kind of thing...I think the day will come that I will venture into the city on the metro link..a city wide train...

Comment

You are lucky, Barb. You will be able to use a scooter. I will be just as dangerous on a scooter as I will be in a car because I won't be able to see the people I run over. ;oD
                  "God loves us so much, He gave us friends!" Amen! http://roundersonline.org/core/images/smilies/smile.png

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone.
                    Paula, there are other options as my daughters and sis are available for rides. There is also taxi services available but they aren't in my budget unless I'm desperate. There's also a senior car that I have seen here but can't remember who told me that they give rides to seniors. Have no idea of the cost. I think I could walk from here to the nearest bus stop up by the school. It isn't far and am planning on trying it out on my frequent Lily walks.

I don't want to be like my dad was. He had macular degeneration and had only peripheral vision. He fought the DMV and called it "senior bashing". Took it all the way to Sacramento. I will give him credit as he never drove after he lost his license.
                    Last edited by BarbCA; 12-26-2014, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I think it takes a great deal of courage to make this tough decision, Barb. I believe Paula is right when she says it's better to make the decision yourself rather than to have it imposed upon you - not to mention it takes a load off of OUR minds knowing that you're safe.

Big hugs!
                      The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                      X