What is the Sitter job description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Sitter job description

This is my first job as just a Sitter. While I was a Unit Secretary II for Munroe Medical Center I did take the Sitter course and when they don't need you to be a US they let you do the Sitter job so you can get your time in. I'm so thankful now that I was able to get that training because if it hadn't been listed on my resume I doubt if I would have landed this job.

Your duties include: observing the patient for the entire shift and documenting every 15 minutes what the patient is doing; watching tv, reading a magazine, sleeping, eating, or if they are agitated, thrashing around, or verbally abusive, or acting out. The nursing staff does all the hands on nursing care. Sitters are not allowed to touch the patients.

We have to keep ourselves protected in case the patient were to become violent, i.e., sit close to the door with maybe a desk or table/chair in front of you, do not display body language that could be deemed as challenging, no crossing of arms, etc. Just use a calm steady voice and try to deescalate if you need to.

For the most part the patients are Baker Act's, which is drug or alcohol related or the patient is threatening to take either their life or is a danger to others. Sometimes it's a chemical imbalance due to not taking their meds, etc.

Most of the time if they are on a unit they are calm and mostly sleep. You can read a book, or take your ipad or notebook or whatever if you have one. If they are in the ED it's usually a different story. It has been pretty scary at times when I did that, but you cannot show fear or let them pick up on it in any way. You have to be careful what you say and act calm and casual.

"Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Wow! That is something, karlinann, but like you said, great that you were trained in it. Here's hoping your patients are in sleep mode while you are there.

Comment

Wow, Karlinann, that's a far experience from what I had. This sitter-guy I had was so lost in the sports shows, I know he didn't document anything. I slept only out of exhaustion, he kept the TV so loud. And I felt like I had a fever. Mostly he paid no mind to me. I think he also smoked in my room. The night nurse couldn't send him away because someone else brought him in. And curse me, he did. They never should have asked him to sit with a patient, a female at that! He had his dirty hands on my ankles. My post in the morning thread tells of my experience.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation, Karlinann. I had never heard of one before. It sounds like a very responsible job and I'm sure you'll do very well at it.

Comment

Well thanks for the explanation. Now I know.

Comment

interesting job....a little scary .. but well worth doing , if its done right ... not like JoG. setter..
            Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Working...
            X