Blowing my top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing my top

Well here goes: we left IL thinking that all that was needed was closing...well that has changed a few times, and they are still trying to get money out of us. Most of you know what we had to have done to the house when we moved in, rim boards replaced under the house by our bedroom, and the flooring replaced all in that area because of rot, the house had to be jacked up, siding and insulation removed, etc. also about 12 floor joist had to be sistered in. WELL, when the inspection was done this time he said that more rim boards needed replaced that they 'might' be a problem, they are stained from the water that had been on them..he also said that the French doors going to the back deck needed replaced, and that would mean part of the deck would have to come off which in turn meant that since it was nailed down the boards could not be reused so the whole deck would need replaced. A GFCI plug on the back deck was not tripping so they want money to have new box and wiring done for that, inspector said that the areas next to the foundation needed to have dirt hauled in and grading done all around the house, they want money for that also money for grass seed, straw and landscaping..they named a whole bunch of other things, had an estimated done and it came back like $8,000, hubby didn't like it, but agreed to $6,000 but no more inspections of any kind. They signed the contingency and agreed to the terms and money, that was last Monday & Tuesday. So yesterday we get a phone call and e-mail with an estimate they got to have a heat exchanger replaced or install a new furnace, seems the guy found a crack in the heat exchanger..my first thought, what are they doing in our home without our permission, second one is, they agreed to no more inspections...well we find out our very own friend/real estate lady did it!!! She said she didn't think we would mind since we didn't have anything to hide (transfer guilt here instead of taking responsibility for her actions) she said she is happy that she did because she wouldn't want a lawsuit later. I ask her if they red flagged it and turned of gas and notified the gas company, answer NO...well wouldn't you think if it was that bad they would have done that...I wanted to see a picture of the crack, no one had any...so guess what, they want more money...now mind you, if the furnace was a hazard and had been found before any papers were signed we would take care of it, but at this point no, we will not, and if the deal falls through, we will fix everything they have listed and list the house for a higher cost as we were advised to do in the beginning..they have a smaller home there in Salem and close on it back to back with ours and have to be out of the house..

Laws are different in each state, and I know if you have knowledge before the sale of your home you must tell that, here in lyes the problem, we didn't know, papers had already been signed, and no more inspections were to be done...the main inspection even told them they should consider getting the furnace checked, they had plenty of time and did not do it, it was an after thought in my opinion to get more money..
    WOW, told you I was blowing my top.
    You would not believe all the money we have put in this house while we lived there 3 yrs. and the grading and landscaping really makes me mad, it is not a problem, been that way since the house was built 14 yrs. ago, but he says it 'might' be a problem with getting moisture in the crawlspace, which is and has been totally dry, we even put down vapor barrier since living there.

Last edited by boffler; 11-12-2013, 06:55 AM.
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

They are lucky if you don't chase them down with a gun!!!! If you have a flair, sue them for pain and suffering.
    Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

I think your realtor can take car of it: if it was her idea and she did it after the agreements and papers. I was going to say without your permission but if she has the keys to the house and is your agent then maybe it is legal for her to go into it and let others in...not necessarily right, but...
      Tell her you will be letting people know through facebook, etc...

Comment

Paula even though we aren't living in the house she still has to ask to be inside or let anyone else in, we still own it. More to the point, there were not supposed to be anymore inspections. We told them last night that they were not getting anymore money, the $6,000 is more than enough to cover all the things they want done, if they wanted a perfect house they should have bought one. We have our company to fall back on, even if this deal falls through the company my husband works for has a relocation group that will purchase it. We will fix the heat exchanger or install new furnace, have the boards replaced, dirt hauled in, etc. and still come out ahead. If they back out of the deal they lose their earnest money and all they have paid out for inspections..they broke the contract. Closing is set for next Monday.
        Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

BTDT I sold my last house in 1991. It wasn't in really bad shape but a lot of what my realtor called deferred maintenance.
          I was up front with the buyers, who I never met in person. We worked out a deal wherein the necessary repairs were absorbed in the price and I actually got what I wanted. After most of the repairs were done it was discovered that there was a crack in the fireplace which I didn't know about and they wanted me to pay for those repairs. Peggy, my realtor told them no way. That I had been upfront with all the other problems. It was sold as is so I didn't have to pay.
          Knowing your realtor since the day she was born sometimes helps out.

Comment

Sharon, that is terrible. I'm glad you are refusing to pay any more the $6000 which seems to me to be more then enough to fix things.

Comment

Haven't heard anything back since we refused paying anymore money to them and reminding them of the fact that we have a back up buyer no matter what happens, so fingers crossed Monday the closing goes through. Barb we have put so much money into that house to fix all that was wrong on the list from the inspection we had, plus so much more, amazing how much more popped up on his list in the three years we were there..Problem was hubby gave into the first demands which I disagreed on, so they figured why not go for more. If they wanted a house without to many problems they should build one, which is why we decided to build. JoS a flair up the buns, is that why the saying, light a fire under their *ss came from? Pat so glad you are 'literally' thrilled for me..

Comment

Sharon , how did this end up for you?
                Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Wow, Sharon, that's been more of a trial than experience. I certainly wouldn't recommend that realtor agent to anyone else.
                  I, too, am wondering how this comes out for you?
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Well it all ended pretty good..closed on the house last week and the money was direct deposit..they didn't come back with any more demands think they knew when I (we) said NO we meant it, also think they took me serious when I said if they want to pursue it we could press charges for trespassing and void the contract and keep their good faith monies, fix the things demanded and put it back on the market at higher price. Told them they broke the contract that had been signed and agreed on when they proceeded to have another inspection done when they gave up that right..they wanted the house, they also wanted to squeeze more out of us and I demanded that husband not cave and give in..Glad it is over and behind us, looking forward to my new home put together like I wanted...After the real estate lady and I talked those couple of days she would no longer communicate with me, she would only talk with hubby.

Comment

I was wondering how things turned out. Glad it's all done with.

Comment

Whew, that's done and now you can concentrate on your new house. A BIG load of your mind as the check is now in the bank.

Comment

Working...
                        X