Hostas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostas

Have found that they are one of those plants that can survive almost anything. Last year Fred made himself a bed in them and dug ect. He even ate some of them so I thought I wouldn't have any this year. But they started popping up. So I figured I'd dig them up and move them and at least save part of them. I piled them into a 3 gallon bucket and then between the rain and heat and other things didn't get to transplant until yesterday, they were actually growing in the bucket. Plus there are still some by Fred so that he has them to play with. Had a few that I didn't have space for so just took them to the easement and tossed them under the big tree, if they take off okay if not it isn't a loss since I brought them back from NE out of X sister-in-laws yard.

So now all 5 of my peonies are up, looks like 2 will bloom this year (the others aren't old enough), naked ladies/suprize lilies/resurection lilies whichever you prefer, are up and the leaves getting ready to die off. Iris's are going wild, Lily of the Valley's are going all over. Had bought 3 rosebushes 2 years ago at Aldi's on sale, end of season and were marked down to $1.99 each, weather took out 2 of them but the other one is doing fine. 7 sister's rose that Kenny's Mom had planted is going good even though the plow guy knocked down part of the rose bed when he did the driveway.

Lots of flowers and the only thing I paid for were the 3 rose bushes.

Oh, I would love to see and smell your garden! I love peonies, but they are not offered in the nurseries here.
    I am going to clear some shade area for hostas.

Comment

My peonies are transplants. 3 are from my X sister-in-laws yard in Belleview NE and the other 2 are starts off of the bush my Granny (Daddy's Mom) planted in the front yard of what became our home when my Daddy was small (around 1932). Actually both sets of Grandparents lived on that property at that time. Dad's parents as share croppers and Mom's parents because the "back house" was offered as a parsonage for the little church down the road. Daddy always loved the place and when it came up for sale he was given first chance to buy it, when Mom passed away my nephew bought it, so you can say it has family ties from way back.

Comment

I have some peonies, but my are too young to bloom. They did, however, survive the winter from h _ _ l. I lost 2 of my 5 rose bushes, too. My day lilies are about to bloom, climatis is blooming and hunysuckle. Hostas are huge...they should have been divided this year, but that didn't happen. I have sage, butterfly bush, coral bells, lavendar, colius, etc. etc. in varying stages of growth and/or bloom. If I could keep the dang cats out of everything, I'd be a happy camper. Oh, I planted some tomatoes, bell peppers and cabbage around in the flower beds this year and have 4 of those big potato containers with yukon gold potatoes growing in them. James has a big garden, but most of my stuff is perennial so they don't take much work.
        Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

I would have more plants and will if I find someone who is thinning theirs out or find them on sale cheap at the end of the season. What I'm looking for is some Rose of Sharon my Granny had them in between every set of windows all different colors.

Jo mine are all ones that come back year after year. But had an older lady tell me "if it blooms, it makes seeds, if it makes seeds it will come back next year". Her yard was full of flowers. She said that the reason people have to buy seeds every year is that instead of leaving them alone and letting the seeds fall they start pulling them up. "Just throwing away money" was what she said

Comment

Yes, I collect seeds off of many of mine and dry them during the winter and use them in the spring. In fact, I just ran across some greek basil seed yesterday in a bag. It may be too late, but I'm gonna sprinkle them around and then que sera sera. Whatever will be will be. I'll just wait and see.

By the way, I did put out some thyme seeds...some lemon and one I don't remember which and they are up so I'm hoping they fill in between everything else and discourage cats!
            Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

We have a big, old Rose o' Sharon in the back corner of the yard. Right now, it is in full purple blooms. My friend has one that is white with a magenta center. The trumpet vine is starting to boom (which the hummingbirds love) and the neighbor's oleander is also blooming. It shows above their fence so we get the color without the poison...although, I have to watch for any leaves or blossoms that fall into my yard. My roses are bloomed out but have buds ready to go again.

Comment

Another thing is that I have a habit of not paying attention to the they have to be in the sun or shade. Was told that my hostas had to be in shade, they had full sun most of the day and they always got up to my knees and full of blooms.

There was a woman back home that had all colors of iris's, when her "bed" needed to be thinned out she would take the "extras" and toss them in a ditch that was washing down her front hill. after a while the entire hillside was a blast of color and so pretty.

Comment

I can't wait to be able to start planting some plants around here, but unfortunately will have to be next year...I love hostas, hubby loves peonies...anyone have any yellow ones?
                  Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

No no yellow here but now I want one. LOL I have a very deep pink, a light pink and 2 white ones also one that should be old enough to bloom (same age as the pink ones) that hasn't bloomed yet and so have no idea what color it is.

My Hostas are the big solid green ones

Comment

Working...
                    X