Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding coffee grounds to you plant and flower beds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding coffee grounds to you plant and flower beds.

do any of you do this?.....I have and could collect lots of coffee grounds... and had read they are good to mix in your soil or compost pile...

I am ready to set my geraniums outside .. I have wintered them over on the windowsill.. .. and was all set to use some coffee grounds to loosen up the soil...UNTIL I looked it up on google and one of the flowers that do not like coffee is a geranium....so... will just loosen up and add miracle grow....

was wondering if the Marigolds would like coffee grounds.? have any of you tried using the grounds?.
    Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

I have used coffee grounds, spent tea leaves (both black/herbal) for several years on my houseplants. Never had a plant indicate that they didn't like it.
    Depending on the size of plant container, I put a 1/4 to 1/2 inches or so, more or less on the on soil and carefully work it into the top layer .
    Hey it is I, noggie, nogs, noggins, aka Beverly

Comment

I use coffee grounds, tea leaves, and crushed eggshells in my garden.
      My mother used those plus raw minced veggie scraps as well, not to mention fish guts and parts after my Dad had been fishing. Mom had the prettiest flowers growing in the yard.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Nope don't do that, I only drink one cup of coffee in the mornings and I have Keurig and use the coffee pods..
        Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

At the end of every other day, E takes our K-cup pods and cuts open the tops and empties them into a Tupperware container. I empty the container into my garden or berm.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Mayebarnes, I have been composting coffee grinds for many years and yes it is pure nitrogen for your garden. I also compost vegetable matter, (potato peels, eggshells, apple cores, lettuce scraps, celery scraps, and any vegetable matter that is left when you clean and cut for food preparation). I like to make a compost tea which is just adding water to the compost pail before you put it on the plants. I have a plastic Maxwell House coffee container that I keep under the kitchen sink for my compost. It's a tight seal and I don't worry about bugs getting into the kitchen, plus I empty my pail every other day. Never put citrus in your compost. You can add paper, (you know those annoying junk mail letters that have your address, and pharmacy papers that have your personal ID on them). The earthworms love the paper.

I try to educate everyone I know about composting. My soil is sand here and it needs all the nutrients it can get. I first learned about composting by watching HGTV in the 90's. I also took the Master Gardener course at the University of TN and they educated us further on the benefits of composting.

Did you know they give the coffee grinds away for free at Starbucks? They are glad to do so because it's promoting a good earth policy.
            "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

This is an interesting subject, especially karliann's post about composting. We just moved to Utah and have a HUGE garden area (20' x 40') and plan to grow some veggies. We've talked about starting to compost, but don't exactly know where to begin... I will have to check online to see if I can get information.

I don't use my coffee grounds for my plants, but probably should since I'm brewing pots of coffee these days rather than using K-cups. I do, however, pour my cold coffee on my plants when they need watering. Not quite as good as the grounds, but they do get a little nutrition out of the cold coffee (black, of course).

Comment

Working...
              X