Saturday, February 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday, February 01

It's finally here, February 1st! February in Florida can be quite surprising in the weather department. One year it can be 88 degrees and then there are the very cold days when you feel arctic air and swear you are in Alaska. I've witnessed both extremes.

We went shopping yesterday. DH needed tennis shoes because he had worn the heel out inside and it rubbed a huge blister on his heel. Diabetics have to be very careful with the feet. I doctored it for a week and now he is still using the good ointment and a bandaid. It's way better!

After finding his shoes we went to lunch at the Ocean Buffet again. Oh, I just love that place. I at plenty, but I was very selective about what I ate and I tried to steer clear of fried. I had the Clam Chowder and it was so good. I ate plenty of shrimp and roasted salmon, and that cake with the coffee flavor and some Butter Pecan Ice Cream. So delicious! They have Green Tea ice cream and it's surprisingly good.

We stopped at the thrift store on the way home and I found 2 Land's End Tee's and a pair of jeans for myself. The denim is usually 50 cents, but it was half-price day. My 3 items racked up to 35 cents. DH found me a Crossbody purse, Liz Claiborne, for $3 at the other thrift store right beside the nickel store. It is so nice, silver with a snap closure, leather look and feel, but it's polyvinyl. It has an inside zip pocket for credit card, DL, and medical insurance card, and room inside the purse for a set of car keys and a lip balm. It has an ample long strap with some gold chain links on each side where the strap attaches to the purse. What else do I need? Perfect little purse.

It was a good shopping day. I only had a salad for dinner, but right now I'm hungry and will go have a hot bkfst.

Hang in there Boffler! Everyone have a great day! Peace & Plenty.
    Last edited by karlinann; 02-01-2020, 06:18 AM.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Morning. Having my morning coffee and watching West Side Story. That is just one of my all time favorite movies! Starting the day happy for sure. Yes, thank goodness January is behind us for another year. Been a cold, gloomy and wet month. Weather guy said last night we have had sun once in the last 12 days. No wonder we are all crabby and pale! Did I read someplace that Washington State has not had sun and constant rain all month? Going to warm up this weekend to record breaking tomorrow at close to 70. Maybe it will finally melt the snow..

Since they are closing part of the interstate we use to get around for 10 months starting today Jon is going to take me to see if we can find a simple way for me to get to my sister's. I can get to the mall when we shop by going around and I know that way but my sister will have to find another way. What an inconvenience! How did people around here get anywhere before? It is miles away for other main outlets and that bypass was a wonder! So, unless he wants to take me to my sister's all summer, my son is taking me for a ride to see what we can figure out. That also means a meal out. Nothing near as yummy as the Ocean Buffet but I will be happy. Jon is allergic to shell fish anyway so we do stay away from fish places...shell fish are all I mostly want so....... Maybe Cracker Barrel today? Blues play at 6:00 so we will be home early. They lost last night but only played half a game. If they had play the first half it might have turned out better but it was a beautiful last period and a half!

My soup was very good. Smelled a little funky for some reason but the flavor was there. Now I am hungry for a big pot of stuffed peppers. Will stop by Aldi's to check out the peppers. They have the most reasonably priced produce around here and out of season peppers can cost your pension check! But doesn't that sound good?

February now means we are 5 months from vacation. Not soon enough for my big gotta be a bathing beauty diet yet. Ha! Right?! I'll just buy a bigger suit. The cardiologist called and changed the time and place for my appointment. Go in once a year. So then I called my GP's office since we have two new doctors now. My dr left and we have these new ones. I needed to know who my GP was and if I needed to set up an appointment or what. Office girl said to just use the name of my NP and the Clinic's name. In March I need blood work and have that stupid mammogram again so guess I will see who wants me then. I DO need a haircut and I need that as soon as I can make it!!

Jon sees a foot doctor for his feet and diabetes but just as a precaution. He has had no problems but does buy new socks all the time so is aware of foot problems. Take care of your hubby's blister.

Think I will get another cup of coffee and watch the end of the movie. Always makes my cry but I do love the story line and music and movie. Remember seeing it as a teenager in the theaters. That makes it a classic!!

Have a wonderfully sunny and warm day.

Comment

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      My son Stuart was just talking about that weather! He said they are seeing kids acting out and weather ( lack of sun) is one factor!

Good Morning....geez I hate to brag but just as I said that the sun came out...just like the song, "don't want to miss a thing" I have my eyes wide open for this, taking it all in...

Karliann, I am a seafood lover, we always look for a good one when in FL, I love king crab legs, not the small stuff, LOL...found a good one last year on the water in Ocala, can't remember the name now, nothing fancy by any means, it was attached to a fish house...so things were fresh..went further south this year so we will see what we find when we get there...always stop and get info when we land.You are becoming a thrift store shopper like Donna, I am not a thrift store shopper, just don't like looking through all the 'stuff', not a shopper by nature anyways.Hope your hubby's sore heal continues to heal.

Maxie sad that I can't even remember the movie or plot, but I will be trying to find it...I am at a total loss when I have to detour, I am directionally challenged to say the least. Glad Jon stays on top of the diabetes foot thing.. Cracker Barrel is my favorite restaurant, we use it a lot when traveling, prices are good also...Love soups in the winter, they just taste better, seems chili is always right there on top...We had some really good WonTon soup the other day at a restaurant, going to find a recipe and try making some...

Yes here we are in February, getting closer to warmer weather, to bad we have to endure the cold weather first..today is grocery shopping day, my first venture out, sure I will get lots of 'stares' with my neck swollen and looking like Frankenstein.. but I am not proud, I earn my battle scars, LOL

Have a good day one and all and sure hope you get some sunshine also.
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

• karlinann
      karlinann commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm! There is no water in Ocala. Are you sure it was Ocala? Ocala is in central Florida. No coastline.

• karlinann
      karlinann commented
      Editing a comment
      I have always been a thrift store shopper. Love them. Since the 1970's I've been scoping out thrift stores.

• boffler
      boffler commented
      Editing a comment
      It was at Crystal River Karliann

Good morning...The house guest have been fed..I made egg bites and biscuits. Guest will leave in a couple hours. I will be keeping the dog while they are gone. Hoping for a nice nap at some point. I am not even incharge of her yet and have already had to clean up dog poo.

Comment

• karlinann
      karlinann commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I hate that for you Beth. How big of a dog is she?

Good Morning! The sun has been shining a bit this morning & that helps.

I started to post yesterday, walked away from the computer, and it was late when I got back. Nothing exciting. Just making & baking.

I made & iced 6 doz groundhog sugar cookies. I made a new design & it's so cute! You start with a cupcake shaped cookie & turn it upside down. You swirl green icing on the bottom to look like a mound of grass. Then with brown icing you pipe the groundhog. Then you detail it...ears, cheeks, nose, & I use those candy eyes. The other two designs are a standing GH and a GH face.

I had orders today for 5 pies, and a choc cake made from scratch with scratch buttercream icing...took a 1lb of real butter. She ask for it to be decorated for the Superbowl. Mission accomplished. Now I'm going to start on the lemon meringue cheesecake. I saw it on FB and shared it. Said I'd LOVE to make it for someone. Got a customer to try it. The recipe calls for lemon curd, so I found a recipe to make it from scratch.

Yesterday Sue & I went shopping. We went to Boscov's. They have a HUGE selection of women's/girls clothes and great sale prices. I returned the PJs Cork got me for Christmas, but didn't find any to replace them with....that were on sale. Got myself 3 tops, my Mom & Kathy each something from the PJ dept. The finale was lunch at Applebees. YUM! We stopped to pick up a few groceries afterwards. Came home, put them away, and took a long long nap. Woke up and baked & prepared the rest of the evening.

Thought Blaise was going to Kathy's for the weekend, but she's sick with a horrible cold. My SIL called & cards got canceled for tomorrow because her & my brother are also sick with horrible colds. Staying away from all of them! Think it'll be either an Arby's night or Pizza Hut.

Stay warm & healthy!

Comment

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      I love my lemon curd recipe! Use it in the Triple lemon cake between layers and frost with a lemon buttercream frosting!

Staying away from germs and sick people is an art these days. I am using Clorox wipes all day long and not just once at the end of the day like normal.
    And my supply needs replenishing!

I had an appointment this morning and then tried to download a pdf file and so frustrating!!! I am not tech savvy and also getting very impatient and just want things delivered the old fashioned way: USPS! Send me paper!

I am off to check flooring prices now. I know it will be higher than I expect, but I have been disappointed in the handy man work I have had. Or the fact they don’t get back to you! The best ones are two old guys and they are not fast and I feel bad about needing flooring. I will use them for painting my doors. I also am removing ( well, having them remove) my security door on the front and then painting the front door. My back door security door is old and rusting and the front one can go there.
    I would much rather be planning a beach vacation!

Cookielady, the GH cookies sound so cute!
    Sharon, hopefully people around you will want to help you out and not make you feel uncomfortable, but your attitude is so good, you will do great!
    Jostoy, whatever you are up to, I hope you are taking breaks as needed.
    Karlinann, you have better thrift stores than we do! Even on 50% off days I doubt the pricing is that low!
    I. Better get moving again. Have a good day!
    Beth, not sure if you have a better system, but I use my daycare gloves or plastic bags to scoop up the doggie duty. And Vick’s under your nose helps if you need it.
    Love to all!

Comment

Working...
    X