Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grrr, why do empty calories taste so good.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrr, why do empty calories taste so good.

Just asking I mean if they are called empty ... that means that they are not there . . . right? And thereful they shouldn't be counted or caused problems. Oh those pesky 'yummy' empty calories!
    Hey it is I, noggie, nogs, noggins, aka Beverly

you would think they would have came up with another name for them because even though we all know that you are smart enough to understand it, there are some out there who actually BELIEVE it is like you stated.

Comment

Empty Calories....they are calories that contain nothing good for your body; devoid of nutrition.

But if you add nutritious food, you get a little more benefit in your consumption. Like making a dip of chocolate or caramel for luscious fruits. The trick is to make the dip thin enough that you can enjoy the taste while getting more of the fruits.

Or Cheese....they now make very thin 40-calorie sliced cheeses. Add one to your sandwich and it's just enough cheese flavor without the extra load of calories. I make my grilled tomato-cheese sandwich with two slices, enough to hold in the tomato's juiciness when it melts, and you can mix cheese flavor like Swiss or Pepper Jack with your Cheddar. E likes when I put a very thin slice of ham between cheeses. Try it with whole grain or rye breads for extra flavor.

You have to come up with the little tricks that work for you. I discovered when our Candy Shoppe (See's chocolates) came up with a one-time chocolate hazelnut creme candy, a 1/2" cube, that a little taste CAN be enough! E bought me a small box of them. My choice was to either gobble down these gems, or to nibble one (like a little mouse might do) each day. So I learned about nibbling. Wait a bit after each nibble to savor that flavor (I got 4 nibbles from each!). Unfortunately, they didn't make that candy after that spring (I inquired all summer!), but I did learn to make my treats, and meals, last. Result: I managed to squeeze my empty calories into my day, if I choose. And I find myself satisfied sooner and eating less. I can look at my jar of Hershey kisses, and pick up a piece of fruit, instead. It gets easier with time.
      Last edited by JoGee; 01-28-2014, 10:46 AM.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Jo....yes.... I have adjusted my old tastes very well over the years.....the most important changes started after I had my heart attack....had already been a diabetic for quite a few years.. but when hubby died... my sugar was out of control.....may have been from stress.... anyway....knew I did not want to have a stroke...life would really be changed.... so did what I felt was necessary and took complete control of my food intake...and pretty much have stuck with it since then....which was in September of 2000... Have lost weight and what is really great....have actually lost a few more pounds of late ... since I am on the Metformin. Sure it is due to the fact I never have low blood sugar anymore... sometimes don't even feel hungry...

Do keep a large popcorn tin with sugar free candy bars......on occasion ... once a week......will have 1 or 2 of them...they are small ...favorite is the Peanut Butter Cups.... Russell Stover is the brand.
        Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Comment

Working...
        X