Microsoft "Tinkering"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft "Tinkering"

Didn't actually know exactly where to put this post but here it is......

All of a sudden, my audio quit working in sporadic places......like YouTube and some sites I have saved as favorite places ( in a folder on my Desktop ). I spent 2 days trying to troubleshoot.....even called my ISP......no dice.

Finally resorted to taking computer into the shop. The guru there said the problem was..........Microsoft had done some "tweaking & tinkering" causing anything that used Google Chrome to have the audio muted. All he did was go in and click the Un-mute button, he said. " Go in where ???? " says me. How is the low-level PC user like me supposed to even be aware of this schtuff ?

Bottom line here, I guess, is why & how the Powers that be do this sort of thing without some sort of notification and if they DO notify.....where do you look for it ?
    There is a difference between giving up and knowing when you've had enough......

There are other "updates" that try to put Google Chrome on your computer. Today, you have to read every word before clicking that "O.K." button. The last update from Microsoft also left my speakers without any sound, but it was a minor fix for me to get it back.

Maybe Microsoft needs to pay your bill.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Instead of taking my computer to the guru, I usually consult the Oracle (Google) first. Most times someone else has had the same problem and will tell you how to fix it.
      The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

yes someone somewhere is tinkering and tweaking .....

and I am screaming.. my Firefox is all different... found my toolbar .. but still hunting other things...
        Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Maye, I love Firefox. My daughter said I should try it and I was reluctant at first. I was used to IE and didn't want to change. Finally I installed it and I've been using it ever since. As a matter-of-fact, IE won't even run right anymore. I can't get it to come up for some reason.

Comment

I'm a Firefox user too, have been for a long time. Something I was doing the other day tried to install Chrome with it as well, glad I read the small print and said no to it.

Comment

I have had foxfire since I got this computer over 4 yrs ago... and love it... but somehow ,just last week ,the whole homepage screen is different... I don't know what happened except it updates itself.. and I woke up to a whole new home page. agggggggggggggg .....which I do not like....

If my guru grandson were here. he could probably fix it with a few finger clicks.. I am afraid to try for fear I make it worse..

I have learned how to get where i need to go... but in awkward , many more ,clicks.
              Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Is there any way to get to your original home page? If so, I can tell you how to make that your home page again.

Comment

I am a Chrome user. On my computer, it works much faster than IE or Foxfire.

Comment

I may give Chrome a try one of these days. I know a couple of people that use it and really like it. Isn't it part of Google?

Comment

NightStorm can answer that question. LOL All I know is Chrome is a browser developed by Google. It's awesome!

Comment

Thanks for the tip Elaine.

Comment

Yeah, Chrome is a clean slipstream browser that was developed by Google, and plugs quite well into their interface. The nice thing about Chrome is that is isn't as bogged down by plugins and addons as FireFox and Internet Explorer... the downside is that, while it was made by Google and is very popular, it doesn't function as well on some sites as the more popular 2 browsers... it's kind of like the browser that everyone likes, but hardly anyone actually uses when they design. If you want quick and simple, Chrome is the one. If you want feature-packed, then Firefox. If you want a headache and constant patches and fixes, then you are after IE.

Comment

IE won't even come up on this computer anymore. I'm not sure why and now I don't care. I've used Firefox for a long time now. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles so I may go ahead and install Chrome and play around with it some. Would hurt to uninstall IE or is it best to just leave it alone?

Comment

As a part of a Monopoly judgment a few years ago, Microsoft was supposed to make it possible to remove IE without harming any of the computers inner-workings... so technicalyl, it is possible. I have not personally made an attempt to remove it off this computer, as I still use it when developing websites for testing how it would display on various browsers... but it's not really hurting anything by being there, it's just prone to flaws if used on some sites.

Comment

Working...
                              X