Bad, bad George!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad, bad George!!

Jeff had George out for a walk on the leash in the yard a couple of nights ago. It was dark. Before Jeff could act fast enough, George lunged and caught Mopsy (one of the wild rabbits in the yard) and broke his back. He died. Jeff thinks maybe the rabbit had been hurt already and that is why George was able to get a hold of it.

I know it's in a dog's nature to go after rabbits but still......

Snoodle, if you have a garden, you'll now have at least 4 more bean stocks than what you had this summer. Rabbits can sure destroy a garden. But the little long bushy-tailed squirrels can steal your maters. I feed my squirrels peanuts during the winter. I fixed up a feeder made out of a chick waterer and put an eye bolt through it so I could put a small rope on it and hung it just far enough above the ground that they have to stand on their hind feet and reach in to grab a peanut. It is very entertaining to watch them "sneak" up to the feeder. They stop and look around to see if anyone is watching them. Of course I watch from my picture window inside the house. Those little boogers could eat you out of house and home. Of course they only eat about half and bury the other half. Guess they think I might stop putting out any food for them so they better put some in reserve.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Jeff is probably right that it was already hurt, still sad to see a critter that you have watched get killed by one you love.

A friend used the cheapest dog food she could find to keep the squirrels out of her garden. She put feeders full of it on the other side of her yard and kept them filled with dog food. She said that the dog food was cheaper than anything else and they loved it.

Comment

Jo we don't have a garden this year. But a few years ago, we had a very small one and the squirrels ravaged it. They were far worse than the rabbits.

Darla, that is a great idea for the squirrels. I might have to do that "just because". I like the peanust on a string idea too.

Comment

Very clever...the feeder w/peanuts. We don't have wildlife around anymore, nor pesky neighborhood cats that used to invade mine. Nor the nasty boys that owned them.

When I was a teen, I'd grab a couple whole nuts from mom's larder. Then stand in the yard and click them together. There was a squirrel who would come running, climb up my jeans bad shirt and sit on my shoulder. He'd take one, scamper down and run off somewhere, then come right back for the 2nd nut. One day mom caught me and made me quit. But that little guy was fun.

When we moved to AZ in 1981, we took a trip to the White Mountains so the kids could play in the snow - their request.
          I went out to the woodpile to bring in a couple logs for the fireplace, and a squirrel ran up my arm, across my shoulder and down the other arm, and scampered off into the woods. Never could entice him back.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
          X