Goodwill vs. Salvation Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodwill vs. Salvation Army

Here are some comparative facts about the subject charities as rated by Charity Watch. Charity Navigator does not rate religious organizations like the Salvation Army. They do not currently rate Goodwill Industries, but their web page provides some information about the charity.

Salvation Army rating: A-
    Goodwill rating: A

Salvation Army mission statement: To preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
    Goodwill mission statement: Enhances the dignity and quality of life of individuals, families, and communities by eliminating barriers to opportunity and helping people in need reach their fullest potential through the power of work.

Salvation Army percent spent on mission: 77% Program, 23 % Overhead
    Goodwill percent spent on mission: 89% Program, 11 % Overhead

Salvation Army salaries: NOT Reported.
    President/CEO - Unknown
    Chief Marketing Officer/Senior VP, Global Development - Unknown
    CFO - Unknown

Goodwill salaries:
    President/CEO - $ 712,202
    Chief Marketing Officer/Senior VP, Global Development - $ 302,918
    CFO - $ 288,724

Salvation Army financial documents provided for review:
    Combined Audited Financial Statements
    Goodwill financial documents provided for review:
    Goodwill Industries International - IRS Form 990 - Tax ID #53-0196517
    Audited Consolidated Financial Statements
    Goodwill Mission & Job Creation Services - IRS Form 990 - Tax ID #45-5221005

So there is no way of comparing the salaries of the charities' executives. So it depends on which primary mission statement you are more interested in supporting, preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ or enhancing the dignity and quality of life of individuals, families, and communities. And note that Goodwill Industries devotes quite a bit more to its program as a percentage of assets.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

I'll stick to Goodwill for donations.
    Goodwill puts the actual needs of people first.
    I was once told that Salvation Army, while they do provide meals, those needy people partaking of it are not allowed to eat it before they hear a sermon and say a prayer. (Seems like a kind of torture for the hungry.)
    Also, SA doesn't provide their income status......Iike certain politicians ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Jo, I only have Goodwill in my town. I have gone in there within the past 2 years, and they have marked their prices up so high that the poor wouldn't be able to buy any clothing. We do have a clothing Center here that gives away the clothing to the needy. So that is where all of my "stuff" goes to. They will even take furniture and small appliances. I also donate to the local food pantry. I know that people getting food have to supply some proof of need. Have no idea about the clothing center. I do know that both work on a volunteer basis as far as help goes.
      Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Jostoy, our Goodwill has very low prices. Probably because various Thrift Stores are abundant in the area.
        But it's affordable for the poor. And our Goodwill stores hire the handicapped and homeless, giving them a source of some income.
        We also donate generously to the Community Food Bank,
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

In our town it is the SA that I think puts their prices too high. Goodwill is about 25 miles away. I donate clothing to our local shelter as needed, like the coat drive in winter, and the yard sale coming up.
          I really don't like the high salaries of those execs, but I don't donate money to either of them. \
          Thanks for this information, Jo.

Comment

And one other thing: that word audit, I look for and look at carefully. From the small organizations that I give to locally to the big ones I donate to.
            I learned long ago that money can be a Big source of problems to some people. And we all need to be careful about where our money is really going!

Comment

I donate monetarily to the Salvation Army but take items (whatever they may be) to Good Will although I have never been inside the local facility and cannot say how their pricing is. I will not under any circumstance donate anything to the Red Cross.

Comment

I don't know if any here use dcudtions at tax time, but I use my donations as tax deductions. I keep track of the money I donate to thevred kettle at Christmas as well as money for other service organizations or the Fire dept Fill the Boot driv s.

Comment

Since I've moved a fair amount and been in both, I will say the Good Wills I've been too are expensive....$6 for a pair of pants no matter the condition. At SA they price according to condition and have half price days often. In fact, SA has one color for 50% every day and the one locally has 1/2 off everything color but one on Wed & Thurs . For $20 I can walk out of there with a pretty big bag of stuff. Can't say the same for GW.

Comment

Working...
                  X