"Hidden Figures" movie 🎥

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hidden Figures" movie 🎥

So, we DID go see the movie after all. They filmed it from a different perspective than I had expected.
    And there were a lot more women of color in the "math pool" in NASA. One of the 3 main women had the job of supervising these women, and played a big role in keeping them in their jobs. Hello IBM main frame computers.
    I was surprised how deeply the segregation was in every aspect of their lives. I applauded their strength to hold up under it for so long. To work harder than anyone else to keep a decent job. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so as much as I'd love to tell you more about it, I'd better not.

The movie was really well directed. You get a good share of things to laugh at. There are a few places where you'll need tissues as well. I cried in 4 places in the movie....both happy tears and sad ones. So be sure you each bring a pack of tissues, or else grab a handful of napkins at the concession stand before you go in to the movie.

I truly recommend that this is a must-see film.

-------------------------

Apparently, during the segregation years, I grew up in the city of Dearborn. It was long known for its hard prejudice, and the long-time mayor who fostered it. Out-of-state newspapers called the city "the White Ghetto". Yet it never affected my outlook. I thought "different" looking people were interesting. I remember one elegant looking, well dressed black woman in a clothing store my mom & I were in, and I was transfixed on the spot. My annoyed mother grabbed me and asked why I wasn't keeping up with her. I pointed and said, "Look, Mommy, isn't she beautiful? When I grow up I want to look just like her!" It was 3 days before my mom spoke to me again.
    Another time we were on a bus, sitting near the back door just ahead of the negros. One woman dressed in white with an apron and white bandana on her head, and a well rounded body sat just across the aisle. I pointed and said, "Look, Mama. Aunt Jemima!" (Just like on the pancake mix.) 😀
    Mom pulled the cord to stop and dragged me off the bus. But Aunt Jemima was sitting there laughing out loud, loving it!!! Mom just said I'm going to get someone killed if I don't keep my mouth shut. I really wanted to sit in that jolly woman's lap. And I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to tell my mom that the man in the last seat looked just like her father except for his dark color.

There are other instances but I'll stop at that much. I'm glad that I still think of "different" people as I did back then. Interesting to see, and I'd like to get to know more about them. But I didn't 'escape' Dearborn without just a seed of fear, that I manage to keep buried deep within.
    Dearborn now is filled about 98% with Arabs today. The last time I visited my old neighborhood, I saw that the Arab adults were very unsmiling people. That looks unsettling, but they are the ones who are held in the disrespect (as I've seen on the news in past years), and have no idea who I am or whether I'm a potential troublemaker toward them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

I am so sorry I didn't see your post sooner!
    I Loved this movie! I cried a few times and felt super patriotic at times. The West Computers were the Colored girls and the white mathematicians were in another building. Remember they told Katherine Mr. Harris ( Harrison?)) had gone through about a dozen? All white. I just found it so interesting that women were not accepted into Engineerong...and how Brilliant these women were! Dorothy had been a teacher...Katherine, too. The only jobs they could get until the the need for rockets and human computers.
    The book read like a textbook, so I really enjoyed the conversations in the film.
    The book facts of what happened ( like the colored bathroom) were well portrayed.

Comment

Working...
    X