Movies in a Cemetary❓

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies in a Cemetary❓

I can't believe I just read this in our local paper! So unexpected.
    What do you think of this?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Under the Stars

The scene’s about what you’d expect — kids hunkered down under blankets, people munching popcorn — except for the unusual location. This movie night’s happening in a cemetery.

A mausoleum flanks the viewing area. In the distance, gravestones are visible.

Tucson drive-ins may be dead, but cemetery screenings are very much alive.

For the second summer, East Lawn Palms Mortuary and Cemetery and South Lawn Cemetery are holding free family movie nights on their grounds. Flicks are shown on an inflatable screen in grassy areas, not on grave sites. Sales from concessions and raffle drawings go to local charities, with a screening over the Memorial Day weekend raising more than $400.

Chairs are set up, but people can bring blankets. A concessions stand will be open. All money raised goes to local charities. The last movie night benefited Arizona Fisher House, a comfort residence where families of veterans and active military personnel can stay while a loved one is undergoing medical treatment

The event’s about community — not creepiness.

“We get a little hesitation, but once you attend, it’s so much fun,” says Terry Byron, an administrative assistant for the two cemeteries who spearheaded the effort. “It’s not what you expect at all.

“Since the drive-in closed, everybody misses the drive-in. I just thought it would be an alternative.”

On this Saturday night, about 60 people are waiting for the sun to sink low enough so the main feature can begin. Playing on the supersized screen: 1996’s “Space Jam,” starring Bugs Bunny, the other Looney Toons and superstar athlete Michael Jordan.

A few people drag rocking chairs onto the grass while a couple of little dogs romp around. Some kids are already dressed in their pajamas. Luminarias ring the area, casting a gentle candle-lit glow. Yes, you’re smack-dab in the middle of a cemetery, but honestly, the only scary thing here is Jordan’s acting.16 hours ago • By Kristen Cook
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

I don't see a problem with it... I mean, who are they going to disturb?

Comment

Well, caretakers for one. People who paid for nice headstones that get trashed.
      Have you seen the trash picked up after movies in theaters. Walked on sticky floors there?
      Drive-in Movie Theaters used to be trashed heavily, too.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
      X