X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 29, MEMORIAL DAY

MEMORIAL DAY

Celebrated: The last Monday in May.

Memorial Day is officially celebrated on the last Monday during the month of May. Memorial Day is dedicated to service men and women who gave their lives for freedom and country. It is also a time to remember loved ones who have passed away. The roots of Memorial Day observance, goes back to 1865 and the end of the Civil War.

Memorial Day was traditionally held on the 30th of May. In 1971, Congress changed it to the last Monday, in order to afford a three day holiday weekend. Regardless of the date, we encourage you follow Memorial Day tradition: attend a parade, and visit a cemetery to honor and remember our serviceman. Take time to remember lost loved ones in whatever way you feel appropriate.

Did you Know? Memorial Day was first called Decoration Day. It was changed to Memorial Day in 1882.

Memorial Day also marks the beginning of the gardening and summer seasons, even though summer will not occur until a few weeks later. This day usually includes the first family picnic of the year.

🌷
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

I have mixed emotion on the change of date. If it helps in remembering and respecting those who gave honorable service to our country, then fine. But to make it easy for a three day get together and just party, I am not so sure. And family having time together is a good thing. A three day car sale extravaganza is another thing entirely...in my opinion.

Comment

In my opinion, for what it's worth, is that a 3-day weekend could easily cover all the veteran holidays for this month. It could cover the honor of the living vets, as well as tribute to those we lost, and just saying thanks to all current vets whether they've been in wars or not. Many people don't recognize the many supporting jobs of vets at home for those who are actually fighting. (I worked in the area of their training schools. From basic training to communications to cryptography.).
      Yeah, and the business' try to capitalize on everything, not to honor anyone so much as to make big profits. The merchandise is often marked up, before its marked down for the sales. I know that was my DD's job at JC Penny's.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
      X