Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaccinations --- are you For or Against, and Why???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccinations --- are you For or Against, and Why???

A couple of articles on vaccinating have caught my eye. I think this is important. This affects children, adults, pregnant women, and people who have an impaired immune system. Here is the first article; the second will follow.

You want to do what is best for your children. You know about the importance of car seats, baby gates and other ways to keep them safe. But, did you know that one of the best ways to protect your children is to make sure they have all of their vaccinations?

Immunizations can save your child’s life. Because of advances in medical science, your child can be protected against more diseases than ever before. Some diseases that once injured or killed thousands of children, have been eliminated completely and others are close to extinction– primarily due to safe and effective vaccines. One example of the great impact that vaccines can have is the elimination of polio in the United States. Polio was once America’s most-feared disease, causing death and paralysis across the country, but today, thanks to vaccination, there are no reports of polio in the United States.

Vaccination is very safe and effective. Vaccines are only given to children after a long and careful review by scientists, doctors, and healthcare professionals. Vaccines will involve some discomfort and may cause pain, redness, or tenderness at the site of injection but this is minimal compared to the pain, discomfort, and trauma of the diseases these vaccines prevent. Serious side effects following vaccination, such as severe allergic reaction, are very rare. The disease-prevention benefits of getting vaccines are much greater than the possible side effects for almost all children.

Immunization protects others you care about. Children in the U.S. still get vaccine-preventable diseases. In fact, we have seen resurgences of measles and whooping cough (pertussis) over the past few years. In 2010 the U.S. had over 21,000 cases of whooping cough reported and 26 deaths, most in children younger than 6 months. Unfortunately, some babies are too young to be completely vaccinated and some people may not be able to receive certain vaccinations due to severe allergies, weakened immune systems from conditions like leukemia, or other reasons. To help keep them safe, it is important that you and your children who are able to get vaccinated are fully immunized. This not only protects your family, but also helps prevent the spread of these diseases to your friends and loved ones.

Immunizations can save your family time and money. A child with a vaccine-preventable disease can be denied attendance at schools or child care facilities. Some vaccine-preventable diseases can result in prolonged disabilities and can take a financial toll because of lost time at work, medical bills or long-term disability care. In contrast, getting vaccinated against these diseases is a good investment and usually covered by insurance. The Vaccines for Children program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children from low-income families. To find out more about the VFC program, visithttp://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/ or ask your child’s health care professional.

Immunization protects future generations. Vaccines have reduced and, in some cases, eliminated many diseases that killed or severely disabled people just a few generations ago. For example, smallpox vaccination eradicated that disease worldwide. Your children don’t have to get smallpox shots any more because the disease no longer exists. By vaccinating children against rubella (German measles), the risk that pregnant women will pass this virus on to their fetus or newborn has been dramatically decreased, and birth defects associated with that virus no longer are seen in the United States. If we continue vaccinating now, and vaccinating completely, parents in the future may be able to trust that some diseases of today will no longer be around to harm their children in the future.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Some parents have it backward. They do not want doctors to vaccinate their children, but they urge doctors to give their children antibiotics when the kiddies have a cold.

I know I will get lots of emails from the anti-vaccination brigade, but there is no evidence that vaccinations cause autism and there is plenty of evidence that using antibiotics for a respiratory infection is both foolish and unnecessary (most respiratory infections are viral and do not respond to antibiotics) and also dangerous, as the overuse of antibiotics causes bacteria to become resistant.

It has been estimated that pediatricians write more than 10 million antibiotic prescriptions for diseases like flu and asthma, which means that most of the prescriptions are unnecessary. Half of the antibiotics prescribed are broad-spectrum, which means they act on a wide spectrum of bacteria. Thus they kill a bunch of the good bacteria we have in our bodies setting us up for infection with nasty bugs that are antibiotic-resistant. If antibiotics are given to save a life, such a risk is worth taking, but if they are used to "fight" a cold, it is a stupid choice.

I believe parents should be proactive. They should always ask their child's doctor about any medication prescribed. Some sample questions:

• Why is this medication being prescribed?

• Is it safe in pediatric patients?

• What are the chances it will work?

• Can my child get better without this drug?

• What are the side effects?

• Are there possible adverse interactions with other medications the child is on or may have to take, like cough syrups?

• How long will my child need to be on this drug?

• Would you use this on your own child?

If the doctor is prescribing an antibiotic, always ask what the diagnosis is and why the antibiotic is being prescribed.

If the doctor says the reason is because the diagnosis is not clear, always ask if it is safe to wait for a day and see.

Do not let this column turn you off antibiotics completely, as they can be lifesaving. But always ask if they are necessary and why.

As for vaccinations, I am not asking parents to abdicate the proactive role I just recommended. Always ask what vaccination is being given and why. But let me suggest all parents think about the following two facts.

First, vaccinations save lives. At the beginning of the 20th century, one out of every five children died by age 5. What did they die of? Infectious diseases like measles, diphtheria and meningitis. (My grandfather, born in 1884, became a pharmacist after he watched a baby brother choke to death from diphtheria and because he wanted to find medicines to help such children.) Do any of you know a family today that has lost a child to infection? Most people do not. Why? Vaccinations. It was estimated that in the 20th century 300 million people who would have died early in childhood survived thanks to vaccinations.

Dr. David Kimberlin, in the April 1 edition of AAP News, advises pediatricians to "passionately advocate" for all children to receive their vaccinations at the appropriate schedule. "When parents ask us what they should do, we should say that vaccines save lives, that we have protected our own children against these diseases, and that we want nothing less for their children."

Second, infections are reappearing. Vaccine-hesitant parents have decreased the vaccination rate, so there are too many unvaccinated children and less "herd" immunity. Most parents still immunize their children, but some do not. The result? Childhood diseases that had disappeared in all modern countries are returning. Whooping cough, for example: In 1990, the rate was 2 per 100,000 people, in 2011 the rate was almost 10. Measles had virtually vanished from the U.S., but last year there were 150 cases among those who were not vaccinated. A measles epidemic in France last year killed six children and left 12 with brain damage. Canada reported more than 750 cases last winter, and two people who were incubating measles attended the Super Bowl in February.

An infected person can get by plane anywhere in the U.S. in hours. You don't have to worry if your child has been vaccinated. Your child was not vaccinated? All I can say is I would not want to be the parent of a child who contracted a totally preventable, potentially fatal disease because I had made the decision to not vaccinate.

Don't be a parent who has it backward: Vaccines are necessary and safe; antibiotics can do your child harm.

Dr. Heins is a pediatrician, parent, grandparent and the founder of ParentKidsRight.com. She welcomes your individual parenting questions. Email info@ParentKidsRight.com for a professional, personal and private answer to your questions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'd like to say I'm all for vaccinations.

I have an impaired immune system from my health challenges.
      It's no wonder it makes me nervous to see all the disease outbreaks already this year.

Currently, Measles and Mumps are starting to spread. Whooping Cough is making a comeback. And there is concern that as the weather gets colder, H1N1 Influenza (Swine Flu) will be making a comeback.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I received all vaccinations that were available when I was a kid (like polio vaccine administered in elementary school!) and also got the shingles vaccination last year.
        All four of our children were vaccinated. I have had only one child in daycare whose parents chose not to vaccinate, for non-religious reasons.

Comment

When you don't vaccinate your child you are putting mine in jeopardy. Side affects from childhood diseases are much more severe than those of the actual vaccine. I remember when the Gardasil vaccine first came out and listening to mothers at the soccer fields that would not do that to their daughters. Do what? Maybe prevent them from HPV and possible cancer down the road? You aren't doing it TO them but FOR them. Same as with the immunizations against measles, polio, whopping cough, chicken pox. Our schools in Illinois require immunizations and the booster shots later before stating school. All of us of a certain age have scars on our arms from smallpox vaccinations...because we were all vaccinated our children no longer have to be. I cannot understand the mentality of NOT vaccinating your children, religious or not. Going to be time for my flu shot soon..

Comment

I never got the scar (the kids called it their "penny") from the smallpox vaccination. After getting repeated shots, 3-4 times, the doc told mom I probably had a "natural immunity". With notes from our doctor at the beginning of the school year, the school had a record of our immunizations in our school folders.
            I made sure all my kids got their shots. One of my daughters was exposed to the measles before she could get that immunization. She was in serious enough condition that the doctor was very worried and kept in very close contact. She was terribly sick for 3-4 weeks, missed the last month of school, and I lost my job because they didn't think a kid's measles could be very serious.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm definitely FOR vaccines. All you need to do is study history to know why. Whole villages, towns, townships, etc. have been wiped out due to disease and illnesses. If you learn something or know or discover something you can't not know it, not learn it, not undo it. Knowledge is knowledge.
              "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

I think many of us here remember neighbors and classmates dying or being crippled from polio. By the time that vaccine was developed, I had children and as soon as it was available we all got it. Mom did always see that we got our shots but I had measles and chicken pox in first grade as I had led a fairly sheltered life at a Ranger Station until I started school so wasn't exposed until then and there were no vaccines as yet.

Some people are just wrongly brain washed.

Comment

when the polio vaccine first became available they went into the schools to administer it. I got I know the first 3 in school...they also came in every year and gave us TB test. I don't remember any kid not receiving the polio vaccine. Can you imagine how relieved our parents must have been? Now that these vaccines are so available parents have found reasons to think they are smarter than the medical community. This younger generation has no idea the suffering that our age groups were subject to because we had no way to ward off childhood diseases. I remember my husband worrying about the mumps because he had never had them. Fortunately our boys never caught them...maybe because of another vaccine? I can't remember when they got shots for measles mumps and rubella but you can be sure it was as soon as it because available!

Comment

My kids got all their shots, in fact they were mandatory for them to go to school. All of them had chicken pox (there wasn't a shot for them yet) my youngest refused to say they were chicken pox, she called them "Ellen Pox" they weren't on a chicken but on her. The thing is by the time a kid starts breaking out with them, they have exposed everyone they came in contact with, so they seemed to pass through the family/friends every so many years. I do know that according to Mom's record in her Bible I had measles but when I had my oldest was born discovered that I must not have had a very bad case, or didn't make the immunity because once she was born I had to get a shot. Whooping Cough I remember having even though I was only 4.

Comment

Thank you for your views, ladies. I appreciate your input.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

An addition about MEASLES & COMPLICATIONS
                        By Mayo Climic

Complications of measles may include:

Ear infection. One of the most common complications of measles is a bacterial ear infection.
                        Bronchitis, laryngitis or croup. Measles may lead to inflammation of your voice box (larynx) or inflammation of the inner walls that line the main air passageways of your lungs (bronchial tubes).
                        Pneumonia. Pneumonia is a common complication of measles. People with compromised immune systems can develop an especially dangerous variety of pneumonia that is sometimes fatal.
                        Encephalitis. About 1 in 1,000 people with measles develops encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain that may cause vomiting, convulsions, and, rarely, coma or even death. Encephalitis can closely follow measles, or it can occur months later.
                        Pregnancy problems. If you're pregnant, you need to take special care to avoid measles because the disease can cause pregnancy loss, preterm labor or low birth weight.
                        Low platelet count (thrombocytopenia). Measles may lead to a decrease in platelets — the type of blood cells that are essential for blood clotting.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X