Date Bars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date Bars

I used to LOVE the date bar mix by Betty Crocker, but I found this recipe I can make from scratch, and it is wonderful - if you like dates:

8 oz finely chopped dates
    1 tsp flour
    1 C hot water
    1 tsp vanilla
    3/4 C brown sugar, packed
    1 C flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 C rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind)
    1/3 C melted shortening OR canola oil

Preheat oven to 375F
    Combine dates and 1 tablespoon of the flour in a small pan. Add the water and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add the vanilla. Remove the mixture from the heat and set aside.
    Combine the brown sugar with the flour, baking soda and oats. Add the shortening or oil, stirring as you pour. Combine but don't over mix.
    Spread 1/2 of the oat mixture in the bottom of a buttered or greased 12 x 8 x 2 pan, and press the dough firmly with your fingers.
    Spread the date mixture over the bottom layer carefully, taking care not to disturb the bottom crust.
    Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the top of the date filling, pat smooth.
    Bake for 20 minutes or until done. The top should be lightly golden brown. Cool the bars in the pan then cut into 2" bars.

Tweak: I added 1/2 C chopped pecans to topping.

These were my favorite dessert in the school lunchroom growing up. I love them, but Erin does NOT - so I don't make them very often. Thanks for the recipe!

ARCHIVED 1/13/13
    Last edited by Pat B; 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM.
    The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Pat, you can probably put any jam or fruit spread in these, and Erin might like them then. Make some with date filling on half, and fruit spread on the other half.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Mmmm! I love dates so I will make these if I have enough dates in the freezer. Last time I bought Medjouls to use for something but I ate them plain.

Comment

Medjouls are my very favorite variety .. better than the very best chocolate.
          Growing older is a privilege denied to many.

Comment

YUM!!! have to make this at least 10 characters/ Yum anyway.

Comment

I made these yesterday and had trouble. Maybe because I used the quick cooking oats which was all I had and didn't notice that part when mixing and it was too late. The date part was delicious but the oatmeal was too dry. I do think if I had added some sort of liquid (water or milk) they would of been ok. But will eat them anyway as they are quite tasty too dry or not.

Comment

I have them in the oven. I did do a bit of a tweak as I added a couple more TBS of butter because the topping seemed too dry to me. Also added a teaspoon of cinnamon as Joy loves cinnamon. I used the pecans, too, as they're my favorite nuts.
                Hope the butter works OK.

Connie, Medjouls are the best! I love the little honey dates that we used to get in the Death Valley area. Those aren't the ones that grow in Death Valley. I got them at China Ranch near Tecopa.
                Last edited by BarbCA; 01-29-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Barb...let me know how they turn out with the butter. I just bought the old fashioned oatmeal last week & we thinking about making these in the next week. I was also going to add the butter as a tweek, but now will wait to see how they turned out for you with butter.

Comment

sound so good and I have some dates left from the big bag I got before Thanksgiving...
                    I will buy a Small box of reg rolled oats to make them ...be sure to update us it it needed the butter Donna.
                    Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Even with the extra butter they are very crumbly but not as much as yesterday. Maybe even more butter or an egg white. Will try again.

Comment

Here's the one I usually use:

OLD-FASHIONED DATE SQUARES

Date Filling:
                        3 cups (10 oz. pkg.) pitted dates
                        1 cup water
                        1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Oatmeal Crust:
                        2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
                        1 cup all-purpose flour
                        3/4 cup light brown sugar
                        1/2 tsp. baking soda
                        1/4 tsp. salt
                        1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
                        1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Date Filling: Place the dates and water in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the dates are soft and have absorbed most of the water (about 5 - 10 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Let cool to room temperature and then puree in your food processor until smooth. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in center of oven. Grease an 8 x 11 inch (20 x 28 cm) or a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) pan.

Oatmeal Crust: In the bowl of your food processor, place the oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon. Pulse to combine. Then add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the base of the prepared pan.

Spread the dates evenly over the oatmeal crust. Sprinkle the remaining dough evenly over the top of the dates. Bake for about 30 - 40 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool. Once the squares have cooled, cover the pan with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator at least one hour or until firm enough to cut easily into squares. These will keep, covered, in the refrigerator up to a week. Makes about 20 - 2 inch squares.

Recipe from joyofbaking.com.
                        The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

I'm going to try this one the next time.

Comment

Working...
                          X