Italian Wedding Soup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Wedding Soup

This recipe was given to me by a full blooded Italian, so when I went to the Olive Garden and my husband had theirs, I was discussed with them. Their's is so bland. Anyways, there aren't true measurements, but it seems to go together well each time. I usually double it because if I'm going to that much work, I want lots. It is time consume to make, but oh so good!

Wedding Soup:

3-4lb whole chicken (plus the water, basil leaves, carrot, onion, & celery to make broth)

Slice Celery, Grated or Sliced Carrots, Chopped Onion, Chicken Bullion, Chopped Spinach
    Ante Pasta (tiny tiny pasta)

Meatball Mixture:
    1/2lb Meat Loaf Mixture
    2 Tbsp Parsley
    1/4 C Parmesan Cheese
    1 Egg
    Salt, Pepper, Garlic Pwd, Oregano, & Basil
    2 Slices of Bread & the Milk to soak them

In a big pot cover your chicken with water & add a chunked carrot or two, celery, chunked onion, & a few bay leaves. Simmer until chicken is tender. Remove chicken & strain your broth. Debone your chicken & add how ever much chopped chicken you want in your soup.

In a bowl, mix your meatball ingredients. Soak your bread slices before adding them. Squish all together. Bring a medium sized sauce pot of water to a boil. Pinch off small bits of meat mixture into water. Scoop out meatballs when they float to the top. They aren't pretty, but they are tasty!

In another small pan, bring water to a boil & add pasta. Boil only for a few minutes...turn off burner & let sit....it'll soak up the water.

Now to assemble. In your pot of broth add the veggies...carrots, onions, celery, & spinach. Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes until veggies are tender. Then add the meatballs, the meatball broth, pasta, chicken, & bullion if you think it needs more flavor. Simmer for 15 minutes or so. ENJOY!!!

This soup is a lot of work, but so worth it. Today I'm making it with turkey & it tastes wonderful! It freezes OK too. Mickie & some others may correct me, but I think true wedding soup uses Kale or some other green instead of spinach, but spinach is readily available & easy to use. I also make a pound of the meatball mixture & freeze half so that I can make the soup a little faster the next time I'm in the mood.

I love Italian Wedding soup. It's one of my favorites.

Comment

My favorite soup! Love it.

Comment

Oh this sounds wonderful!

Comment

I love it too..... My Mom made it often. Of course our Sunday dinners were like a feast.... started with soup and salad, then came a main meat dish and side....followed by pasta and meats that went with pasta.........ended with cuts of in season fruit... Early years rarely had desserts.....that came along as family expanded....
          Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Comment

Working...
          X