• Show
Clear All

• Donna's Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon Meringue Pie

1 1/2 C Sugar
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1 3/4 C Water
    1/2 C Corn Starch

1/2 C FRESH SQUEEZED Lemon Juice (zest first)
    4 Egg YOLKS (5 if they are small) (reserve the whites)

1 tsp lemon zest
    3 Tbsp butter or margarine
    1-2 drops of lemon oil (optional)

10" pre-baked pie shell

In pan, combine sugar, salt, water, & starch. Stir to mix and bring to boil and cook until "clear". While this is happening, mix your juice & yolks together. Remove pan from heat & add egg mixture. Bring back to boil. Remove from heat & add butter & zest. Cool to lukewarm.

Make meringue by beating your reserved eggs whites plus 2-3 additional egg white plus a pinch of salt until foamy. Then slowly add a heaping 1/2 C Sugar very slowly and beat to stiff peak. Now add 3/4 C of meringue to cooled lemon filling. Pour filling into pie shell. Top with meringue making sure to seal edges. Bake at 350 for approx 15-17 minutes until browned. Warning: the weather will affect how your meringue turns out. DO NOT MAKE your meringue until the filling is cool.

If you don't have a 10" pie pan, 2 8" shells would work two, but make sure to make more meringue.

You add some meringue to the filling before pouring it all into pie shell? Think my mistake has been adding meringue while filling was still hot...
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

• cookielady
      cookielady commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, meringue goes into the lukewarm filling BEFORE putting it in the shell. The first time I made this recipe I was confused about that, but it tastes great. Now if you use farm fresh eggs, the filling is a richer yellow and the meringue is fluffier.
Working...
X