Homemade Cornbread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Cornbread

I cooked a big pot of chili yesterday (yummy) and wanted cornbread to go with it. I didn't have a mix (I usually use Marie Callender's) and didn't want to drive to the store, so I looked online for a recipe. Both Ralph and I thought this was better than the mix (as he put it). Not quite a cake-like as MC, but still really soft and kind of sweet. This is my first attempt at making cornbread from scratch. Recipe was deemed a keeper.

CORNBREAD

(Makes 9" x 13" pan, so I cut the recipe in half and used a 9" square pan)

Preheat oven to 350°

1 c. butter, softened
    1 1/3 c. granulated sugar
    4 eggs
    2 c. buttermilk
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 1/4 c. yellow cornmeal
    2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. salt

In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar til smooth; add eggs and buttermilk.

In another bowl, combine all dry ingredients, stirring to mix them well.

Pour dry mixture into wet mixture and stir well. Pour into greased 9" x 13" pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until it tests done.

(My note: I used buttermilk substitute of 1 Tbsp. vinegar to a scant 1 c. of 2% milk because it's all I had. I will use real buttermilk next time. Mine in a 9" square pan took 30 minutes to bake)

Thanks, Judy. I always use a mix, too, and want to venture out in my cornbread. Will try this for sure.

Comment

Judy..

copied this off...

sounds so good..I love cornbread..... most call for more baking powder and you can taste it.. but this does not... will try it soon!!!
      Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Working...
      X