1 C white sugar
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp lemon extract
    2/3 C water
    1 C sour cream
    1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
    1 C flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
    Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and lemon extract. Beat in water and sour cream. Beat in the cake mix and flour. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 60 to 80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

Last edited by ladyebug; 07-18-2013, 06:28 AM.

Floating this to the top becuz' I want to make it next Tuesday.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

I've made this 3 more times since I posted this. It is definitely my goto cake.

HOWEVER, I find 1 tsp of lemon way to much for me. I used 1/2 tsp yesterday and it was still too strong. I really prefer vanilla and almond for a poundcake.

Comment

Ooooooo, I want to try this Elaine. But like you, I prefer almond or vanilla. Can't wait to try this. Thanks!

Comment

Wonder how this would be made with a chocolate cake mix and using vanilla?
          The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Dug around in the pantry and found a lemon cake mix - it's now in the oven. Instead of lemon extract, I used about 4 drops of lemon oil (I buy it at Hobby Lobby). I'll probably make a glaze from confectioners' sugar and lemon juice to go on top.

*Update* - this cake is WONDERFUL! And so easy! Thanks again, Elaine!
            Last edited by Pat B; 07-14-2012, 11:21 AM.
            The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Ok, found it and will get what I need on the way home from church! Thanks! Should have known I should have looked here before I asked !

Comment

I made a chocolate version today for a friend. The top of the cake stuck in the stupid Bundt pan!!! I only lost a *little* bit, though, so it's okay. Must remember to pick up some Baker's Joy!!!

For the chocolate version: instead of using 1 cup of flour, I used 3/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup cocoa.

Comment

Am going to attempt a coconut version of this today using a coconut cake mix and adding a pkg. of instant coconut cream pudding mix and maybe a handful of shredded coconut. Maybe a little coconut extract (I think I have some!). Will post the results if I don't forget!

Comment

Change of plans - I have a Red Velvet cake mix and am going to use that - will use 3/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of cocoa in it too. Then will top it with a Cream cheese glaze - will probably use the recipe here: Cream Cheese Glaze.

Comment

Working...
                    X